Breastfeeding

coffee BF'ing

Wondering how bad is it to drink coffee every once in awhile? My DD is 2 weeks today. I haven't had a Starbucks in forever LOL but I'm wondering how bad is it to drink coffee while BF'ing.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: coffee BF'ing

• Moderation  is key. I drink a cup about once a day. Have a Starbucks! You deserve it!
  • I drink coffee every day. I would die without it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I drink two small cups a day.  It just gives me a jump start.  But then I drink water the rest of the day and tons of it.

• It's funny you posted this...1] Happy 2 weeks, our lil man is 2 weeks today too. 2] I've been drinking decaf for at least 9 months and just added a small amount of caffeinated caramel flavored dunkins to my k-cup of decaf. I need it since my 4 yr old is home from school and has been awake since 4:30---yikes!

I don't think a little will bother them...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

• My LO is 4 weeks and 2 different LC's have told me I can have up to 2 cups per day after the first 2 weeks.  I allow myself 1 cup per day right now and it's been doing the trick.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• aibreanaibrean member
    You can always have it after your morning feed when the LO goes to sleep :)
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Drink the coffee.  According to kellymom.com, milk levels are quite low (0.06-1.5% of maternal dose) and usually peak 1-2 hours after ingestion.

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/caffeine/

• drink the coffee!!! you'll know quickly if it bothers LO. i have at least one cup a day. It keeps me from killing DH
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm glad to see this question posted!  I'm due in July and have been drinking 1 cup of coffee probably every other day.  I need it to help jump start me in the mornings and I dont know if I would make it long without coffee after LO is here and keeping me awake!
     AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

F15 Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward to Most After Baby Arrives: BELLY SLEEPING!

photo c433cf4d-aa40-443c-af77-110275d91d89.jpg
  • I drink 2 cups of coffee everyday, and DS does just fine. I am a walking zombie without it. But different kids are different AND I drank coffee while pregnant.  You will just have to try it and see.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you are at all concerned about it, drink it right before (or right after) you nurse to give your body some time to metabolize it. Some littles are sensitive to it - mine doesn't seem to notice whether I've had coffee or not.
    January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
     BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
    TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
    , EDD 9-9-15

• I drink coffee every day, the same amount that I did while pg.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imageAngela814:
    I drink coffee every day, the same amount that I did while pg.

This. I would die without it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I started drinking it in the hospital after delivery. It's not bad. It's delicious.
  • imagetokenhoser:
    I started drinking it in the hospital after delivery. It's not bad. It's delicious.

This exactly. I had DH run to Starbucks like an hour after I gave birth. I had been doing halfcaf or decaf because I kept getting dehydrated while preg. Now I drink two of the large settings on my keurig a day. Some times I throw in a coffee house drink too.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • It's going to totally vary from child to child.  From previous responses you can see that most people find it not to have an effect.  My kid though?  If I have coffee he's up all night - like wide awake, can't get back to sleep up.  But I also am really sensitive to caffeine, so it's probably a combination of my sensitivity and the fact that I didn't drink anything when pregnant since I rarely drink caffeinated drinks.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • neumc14neumc14 member
    I don't drink any caffeine not even soda it's a stimulant and I don't think putting that into a babies body is okay.
  • CaliValCaliVal member
    imageneumc14:
    I don't drink any caffeine not even soda it's a stimulant and I don't think putting that into a babies body is okay.

I hope you have no fat in your diet, only eat organic foods and do everything pretty much perfectly to make such a dumb statement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"