August 2011 Moms

ExMIL won't let me be.

Ex's mom calls and texts me every time she's off of work all day to tell me she can do things for me. It seemed like a nice thought at first, but now I'm just annoyed. She seems to think I'm in over my head and there's no way I can successfully handle 3 at once. Actually, I'm doing pretty well now that I've started getting into a groove. It's actually harder to coordinate sh!t with exMIL because I don't have time, money, or gas for that. But when I don't answer she assumes I missed her text or call and offers again and again. Argh!

ETA: I've told her no as well, she simply offers again a few days later, or asks me if I'm sure over and over again.

// I love you too. //

Re: ExMIL won't let me be.

• Can you just give her a day?  Like, if her day off falls on a Tuesday (or whatever day you guys agree upon) she can have 'em?

How much notice are you getting

I totally understand what you mean about the groove being disrupted.  

I'm glad she's offering, that is nice of her.  I hope you're getting some breaks every now and again.  I know you CAN handle it, but you also need a break!! :)   

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • The thing about exMIL is that she doesn't actually watch the kids, nor does she pay attention to my wishes and tips about how the kids should be cared for to keep them happy and sane, she just lets them run about in her unchildproofed house, and then when they flip sh!,t as kids sometimes do, she'll call and say they need their mama. I hate dealing with that. I'd totally accept if it were someone who would actually make things easier.

// I love you too. //

• Loading the player...
  • I told her not this week, but to let me know next time she is off so we can do lunch and she can hang with the kids. A decent compromise, yes?

// I love you too. //

• imageNativeFloridian:
    The thing about exMIL is that she doesn't actually watch the kids, nor does she pay attention to my wishes and tips about how the kids should be cared for to keep them happy and sane, she just lets them run about in her unchildproofed house, and then when they flip sh!,t as kids sometimes do, she'll call and say they need their mama. I hate dealing with that. I'd totally accept if it were someone who would actually make things easier.

I got plenty of offers for unhelpful help as well. It sucks. Sorry mama.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh no, I'm sorry.  There is nothing worse than the person who insists on "helping" a new mom, but actually creates more work, hassle, and headache for her.  Ugh!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageNativeFloridian:
    I told her not this week, but to let me know next time she is off so we can do lunch and she can hang with the kids. A decent compromise, yes?

Agreed.  Excellent compromise.

I didn't get that she-doesn't-actually-watch-after-them vibe from your OP, so I'm totally picking up what you're puttin' down now. 

Prudence
    Otis
    Hank 

• imageNativeFloridian:
    I told her not this week, but to let me know next time she is off so we can do lunch and she can hang with the kids. A decent compromise, yes?

I was going to suggest going to lunch, but you already thought of that. I think it's a good compromise.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• She probably feels bad for what an asshat her darling son is. Maybe this is her way of making up for it?

Not that is makes it any less annoying, but maybe you can find a way for her to actually help you out without disrupting your routine.

Oh and I really don't like when someone keeps calling after you don't pickup or respond right away.... that is just obnoxious!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Very obnoxious. It sounds like you came up with a good compromise though.

Don't you wish people would ask if they could drop off a meal, do some loads of laundry, put some toys away, or swish the toilet for you? That seems more helpful than anything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRachey1082:
    Very obnoxious. It sounds like you came up with a good compromise though. Don't you wish people would ask if they could drop off a meal, do some loads of laundry, put some toys away, or swish the toilet for you? That seems more helpful than anything.

YES!!!! This ^^ 

BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagehomediva:

imageRachey1082:
    Very obnoxious. It sounds like you came up with a good compromise though. Don't you wish people would ask if they could drop off a meal, do some loads of laundry, put some toys away, or swish the toilet for you? That seems more helpful than anything.

YES!!!! This ^^ 

I'm the exact opposite.  I'd like someone to take the kids off my hands (within my own walls) so that *I* can do laundry, put stuff away and clean toilets.  None of these things scream at me when I don't do it correctly, nor do they bite or require diaper changes.  

That being said, I'm not in NF's situation; that's just how I feel about my post-partum visits from friends and family.   

Prudence
    Otis
    Hank 

• She's probably terrified you're going to cut her off so she thinks the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I think you're well within your rights to say you need some space. 
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"