August 2011 Moms

Tornados! Yikes

When I lived in California, people from other states would always ask if I was frightened of the possibility of "The Big One" hitting. Large earthquakes were rare and I didn't live in fear. 

Living with tornado sirens and constant alerts is really wearing on my nerves. We are less than a mile from the OK border and OKC is being obliterated as I type. DH doesn't "believe" in extreme weather. He always downplays it, despite the news warnings, sirens, etc. It drives me absolutely nuts!

My nerves are fried up in here! 

imageimage

Re: Tornados! Yikes

• Wait. He doesn't "believe" in extreme weather? Um, it's not a religion or a paranormal thing, this Shiit actually does happen and kills thousands of people.

Anyway, please stay safe and update us as much as possible! Thinking of you.
  • imageshanado:
    Wait. He doesn't "believe" in extreme weather? Um, it's not a religion or a paranormal thing, this Shiit actually does happen and kills thousands of people.

Anyway, please stay safe and update us as much as possible! Thinking of you.

I know, right? An otherwise intelligent man saying ludicrous stuff. I told him it makes me feel he can't be relied on in an emergency. It is super ridiculous and we argue whenever there is bad weather.

Oh and there is a typo, I meant to say we are less than one hour from everything, not one minute or one mile.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Stay safe!!!

• I hope the Case family is all safe and sound even if some of its members don't believe in extreme weather.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm in OKC. It's been a taxing day.

My house and family are okay, but a friend of mine lost everything. Cars, house, all her belongings. She's staying at her mom's so I brought her some deodorant, hair ties, razor, etc. She seems to be doing okay, using humor as to not panic her daughter.

I'm really just thankful her family is safe. Hearing all the news stories of the damage and all the deaths is just horrible.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Glad you're ok, Jenni and Mrs Case!!

I have a lot of connections to OK, especially in the areas affected by the tornadoes...and I wasn't even paying attention to the news today. I thought it was all over after last night, but then my aunt (on my mom's side) called to ask about my friends and ILs (who live in OK), and I had no idea what she was talking about. So far only good news for people we know, though one of the tornadoes hit really close to FIL's house.

I checked the news a little bit, and my heart was just breaking hearing about the schools that got hit.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageCrash Into Me:
    Do you want a pep talk from a life long midwesterner? Okay, good. Storms will happen all the time and we're starting the peak season right now. You'll want to pay attention when the news channels start throwing up the tornado watches and tornado warnings.nbsp; A watch is when there's a possibility that something might happen. Usually it just means the weather will be heavy, possibly severe.nbsp; A warning means that a tornado has been detectedthis could be a mile away, this could be half the state away.I live in an area in IL that is outside of the direct St. Louis city proper, however, the news channels report on the weather from midMissouri all the way in eastcentral Illinois because there aren't any other major news coverage areas which means there's a huge territory for them to cover and there's almost always something going on. Sirensyou tend to get used to them, but it's another sign that you should check in with weather.com or turn on the local news. Our sirens go off when the Missouri side of the river gets severe weatherit's just a head's up measure.nbsp; There have been at least two tornadoes directly west of us within the past year, but they haven't shown up in my town. Yes, 15 minutes away sounds close, but when it comes to weather, it really isn't.nbsp;Storm tipsI get storm anxiety, I'm not going to lie. If it's really bad, I do a mental checklist of where things aredog leashes, my purse, shoes to grab in a hurry, lighter, flashlight, candles, cell phone, dogs, husband, kid.nbsp; We had a storm roll through here about a month ago and it was the first one I've been nervous about in a while.nbsp; There's absolutely nothing behind my house and the wind was rattling my windows pretty hard.nbsp; I was just about to go upstairs to get DD when the wind died down.nbsp; Think about where you would go, should you get to that point. DH knows he's supposed to get the dogs, I will get DD. If I can't make it to the basement with her, we have a main floor bathroom amp; a coat closet that we could easily get in. My dogs prefer to hide under our bed in a storm so I block the stairs off to keep them on the main floor. No matter what, you do what you think is right, your husband will have to get used to it and if you ever have to yell at him to GET IN THE BASEMENT RIGHT NOW, he'll listen. Hopefully, it will never come to that.nbsp;

No basements in TX. Ridiculous. I finally asled a builder why not and he said the soil won't tolerate building too far down. Boo! So, you can build a suuuuper shallow storm shelter but they are extremely expensive. Blugh. I'm not waiting in DH in an emergency.
    imageimage
  • imageJennikd3:
    I'm in OKC. It's been a taxing day.My house and family are okay, but a friend of mine lost everything. Cars, house, all her belongings. She's staying at her mom's so I brought her some deodorant, hair ties, razor, etc. She seems to be doing okay, using humor as to not panic her daughter. I'm really just thankful her family is safe. Hearing all the news stories of the damage and all the deaths is just horrible.

Oh wow Jen! I am glad to hear you got out of it unscathed. I am so sorry your friend wasn't so lucky.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageladybugpjb:

I checked the news a little bit, and my heart was just breaking hearing about the schools that got hit.

I'm having a hard time keeping up with news bc of the incredibly sad things I'm hearing. 7 kids drowning in the school's lowest level, babies being pulled out of rubble of a daycare. The death toll is almost half children :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"