April 2013 Moms

Feeding Q

DD is just over 5 weeks. I don't have a huge supply but want to make bf work as long as I can, and I'm ok with supplementing with formula if needed. In the evenings, starting 4pm onward, gets fussy like many babies and seems hungry an hour after she bf. would you offer an ounce or two in a bottle after the breast to ensure a full feeding and more content baby, or keep nursing every hour as needed? I have an older toddler who demands a lot of attention that time of day between dinner, bath and bed, plus eating dinner myself. I pump after 2 nursing sessions each day to try to increase supply a bit. What would you do?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Feeding Q

• I'd think nursing her every hour if you can would be best. That would tell your body to make more milk and help satisfy her.
  • Keep nursing
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • KrisM86KrisM86 member
    Nurse as often as LO wants. This is the absolute best way to build your supply and ensure that you are producing what LO needs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would nurse. My twins are just over 5 weeks and are doing the same thing I also have a 2 and a half year old.
  • Keep nursing. Nursing every hour or less is completely normal, especially in the evenings. It's called cluster feeding.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imageKrisM86:
    Nurse as often as LO wants. This is the absolute best way to build your supply and ensure that you are producing what LO needs.

This! I know it's tough with a toddler because I'm in the same situation but if what you really want is to keep nursing, let baby nurse every hour. Your LO could be going through a growth spurt too. We just hit a big one of those too and it felt like I was constantly nursing and my house looks like it too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My worry/concern is that she's asking to latch on every hour (or less) because I'm not actually producing anything. That seems like it does none of us any good.  I know pumping is not a good judge of production, but for example I just pumped 4 hours after her last "snack feed" as mh bottle feeds her before bed, and I got a whopping 2.5 ounces total.  My evening supply is really poor. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If she is having 6-8 wet diapers a day then she is getting enough food from you
  • imageblueandgray:
    My worry/concern is that she's asking to latch on every hour (or less) because I'm not actually producing anything. That seems like it does none of us any good.  I know pumping is not a good judge of production, but for example I just pumped 4 hours after her last "snack feed" as mh bottle feeds her before bed, and I got a whopping 2.5 ounces total.  My evening supply is really poor. 

I was just reading a book about breast feeding that said you have more milk 20 min after a feeding. So if LO is on one side for 20 min, then the other side, the first side is ready to go again. 

I can't pump more than 2.5 oz ever and I have been really concerned about LO getting enough. But with lots of support I am stopping supplementing and having LO on the breast as much as he wants, which is pretty much constantly. You can do it! 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Keep nursing AND pumping as often as you can in the evenings to help
    Build supply. I nurse every hour to hour and a half max and immediately pump an additional 10 min after to stimulate more production. It's slowly working and we are supplementing less and less.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"