Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Both Breasts for Week Old?

Relatives insist that baby needs breastfed twenty minuets on each side each time he's fed. It doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't he feed until he's satisfied? What should I say? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Both Breasts for Week Old?

• Tell them each baby is different, some eat fast some slower. It's the quality of sucking is more important. My pedi said at least 10 minutes per breast as a guideline. As your pedi and use that to back you up.
  • My DD only takes one side 90% of the time, she's gaining weight great.  It all depends on the baby and how efficient they are at getting the milk.

• Loading the player...
  • For my LO depended on the time of day. Usually one side in the am, constant nursing in the evening, and both at night. Our usual routine is nurse one side, diaper change, then try to nurse the other side if still awake (diaper change usually wakes)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS only ever takes one side. He's gained plenty of weight, and always seems satisfied.
  • DS would take both sides- the first side he'd empty and the 2nd side he'd just take a little.  DD only nurses on one side most of the day, then cluster feeds in the evening going back and forth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My LC said to feed on one side, burp, feed on the other side, burp, and then offer side #1 one more time just in case.  That was when LO was a week old.  If he seems to be satisfied and is gaining back his weight on target, do what you feel works best.

• aibreanaibrean member
    Only when she was on claustrum did I ever go 40 minutes total. I am about 10-15 tops per breast right now. Sometimes she's "one and done".
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS usually only feeds from one side per feeding. If I switch too often he won't empty a breast and will get too much foremilk and not enough hind milk. Sometimes at the end of the day he
    Will take both sides, when I dont feel like I have as much in each nu that point.
  • I BFed all of my kids (the oldest two for a year each) and only ever offered one breast at each feeding. And all of my kids gained without any trouble.
    Stasa 01.15.09 * Lexi 03.24.11 * Tommy 04.27.13 * Merklet #4 due 10.10.15

BLOG    THE BABY STANDARD    FLICKR    VIDEOS

• imageestreyas:
    I was reading about this last night, since we have no LLL or lactation consultant around, and I'm doing my reading-up early... if your milk has started to come in, by switching before the baby has finished one, the baby won't get the nice fatty hind milk. Do what your LO wants - if it's finish off one, then do a second later, just alternate.

Sorry, I was lurking but I had to jump in here (pre-baby lurk, :D).  I agree 100% with this. I had trouble nursing my first because she would nurse for 45minutes on one breast, and then still want the other. My Doctor told me 10 minutes per side should do it, and after that "she's just messing around." (Turns out it was just early cluster feeding.)

After struggling with THE WORST colic and gas (she screamed - and I mean screamed - from the time she woke up in the morning until she went to sleep at night), we made the decision to formula feed. I was later told by a nurse to offer one breast, let baby nurse that breast until it lets go on its own, then if baby still acts hungry, offer the second. If baby isn't hungry after breast 1, you're done for that feeding.  Start with breast #2 on the next go round. 

The longer baby nurses one breast, the more fatty hind milk it gets. If your baby gets all the skim milk, it makes them REALLY, REALLY gassy. It is horrific when they're that gassy, trust me. Horrific. Let baby nurse as long as it needs to, even if it takes forever!

So I just had to comment on this post. I had such a terrible experience that I just couldn't not say something that could help someone else. Sorry for jumping in without introducing myself!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• jbatchjbatch member
    I always just let my LO eat until she seems like shes not really getting much out of the first then switch.

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"