Working Moms
Options

Formula battle

Hmm, well I didn't think this would be an issue, but daycare is not pleased with me. DS turns 1 on June 1st. I gave him milk the end of last week to make sure he wasn't going to be a pain about it and to see if we needed to introduce it slowly, but he took it just fine. So, we started dropping bottles and formula and he was doing so well that we completely switched. If someone wants to flame me for starting milk 2 weeks before age one, you can save your time, I don't care.

Well I learned at daycare today that are not allowed to give milk before 1. Ok, I understand why the rule is in place, so I went home and brought him back formula, bottles and a sippy. Well now he is refusing the formula and cranky enough about it that they called, but they won't give him milk. Umm I think this is what we call a rock and hard place...They are asking that I give him formula bottles until 1 so he does better at daycare. I do not want to go back to bottles, and I don't really see a reason to go back to formula at home. I undestand their rule, but we broke bottles and formula, I would like to keep moving forward. Am I wrong? It is literally less than two weeks...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Formula battle

• Options
    Would it be possible to get a note from LO's pedi to take to daycare? 
  • Options

imagelaurenhankey:
    Would it be possible to get a note from LO's pedi to take to daycare? 

I thought about that, but we are military and it is a pain. I'd actually have to make an appointment and go in, which is also just silly.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you send the bottles made?  Do you think your LO would take a mix of milk and formula and would they know?  Ugh it would annoy the heck out of me why should they care what you feed your almost 1-year old child.  Many docs suggest transitioning between 11 and 12 months.   BTW my DS was like this when I tried to supplement with formula.  I BF and my supply dipped due to him biting and me being sick.  It was hell on earth.  I was able to get it into him by mixing it with ceral and apple sause and feeding it as a solid
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It's probably too late for this approach, but how about just not mentioning what's in the bottles? I mean, they're not going to taste it, right?

Our DCP knows what we usually send (goat milk in our case), but if we run out and send coconut/almond instead, it's not really something I bring up. I'm not actively hiding anything, but "hey, what's in the bottles?" isn't part of our daily exchange.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member

I introduced milk before 1 yo so no flames here Big Smile

Have you tried 1/2 and 1/2 (milk and formula)? I would bring bottles with milk and ask them to add the formula to mix.

• Options
    DCP normally makes the bottles, but maybe the best option is just brining premade and putting in milk. Like I said, I understand generally why the rule is in place, and it might even be a state licensing law, but at this point it just seems silly.
  • Options
    I did the same (also in military CDC), I just would make the bottles at home and tell them to pour them into sippy cups there.
  • Options
    They may be able to do it with a doctor's note.  I'd try that route.

• Options
    imageEllaHella:

We switched to milk at 11m2w as well. We had no issues from daycare. 

I searched through the Standards for centers in VA and didn't see any regulation regarding milk before 1.

https://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/division/licensing/cdc/intro_page/code_regulations/regulations/standards.pdf

I would probably push this.  That transition is hard for a lot of children and going backwards is never ideal.  Offer to send the bottles premade. 

We are in NC now, but the bump won't let me change my info. I appreciate the above though. Glad I'm not crazy though, I hate to be the pain in the but this just seems stupid to me. If they give me a hard time about bringing in my own premade I will raise the issue.

• Options

Yeah, I'd just send two sippys of WCM with a half scoop of formula mixed in so it kind of smells like formula.  No way would I go back to bottles if you have already dropped them either.  Our daycare was annoyed when my 1 yr old still had a bottle!  They switched them to open cups in the toddler room! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'd just tell them to skip bottles altogether. They can give him water in a sippy and you can give milk at home and more dairy.

FWIW I'd probably ask to see what regulation requires formula in bottles until 1. That's ridiculous.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We're military and our child goes to the CDC.  They did switch to partial WCM at 11 1/2 months.  Does yours go to the CDC? 
  • Options

imagelaurakaz13:
    We're military and our child goes to the CDC.  They did switch to partial WCM at 11 1/2 months.  Does yours go to the CDC? 

No we aren't at the CDC. From what I understand the CDC is exempt from the 'NC Star rating' since they have their own standards that they must comply with.

I did look and the guidance states that the daycare needs to comply with this Meal Pattern guide and while it doesn't explicitly say no WCM before 1, if you are following the guide that is what it would require. This daycare prides itself on it's 5 star rating and being the first to achieve it in this county, I guess it is better than the alternative. There was some hesitation to me providing WCM in a sippy, but she was ok with it in a bottle, so that is what I went with this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"