May 2013 Moms

Postpartum Heart Failure Update

Hey guys I'm sorry it took so long for me to do an update.

The week before last I told you all about my trip to the ER one week after baby was born. I was having a hard time breathing all day. I thought it was just a cold, but in the back of my mind things just didn't feel right.

At the emergency room they told my my lungs were filled with fluid and there was fluid around my heart. I was diagnosed with postpartum heart failure. I spent three days in the hospital away from my one week old boy. It was awful!

The ended up draining 31 lbs of fluid off of me! I was told that once the fluid was gone that my heart muscles got stronger and it didn't look bad any more. :)

So, as of right now, everything looks good. Although, I am still taking a water pill and heart medicine. And because of the medicine I had to quit breastfeeding. But that's okay.

I feel like a million bucks compared to how I felt.

I appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers, it was a very scary situation. 

April 29, 2013
8 pound 4 ounces
20 1/2"

DX: 2001 Severe Endometriosis 
5/2006: BFP 5/2006: M/C
10/2008: TTC W/Severe Endo
1/2010: 6 cycles with Clomid=all BFN
9/5/2012: BFP 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TheCraftyPie/265482416859470

Re: Postpartum Heart Failure Update

• Glad to hear you are doing better!  Big Smile
  • pnutgpnutg member
    So glad you're feeling better. I hope everything continues to improve for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow I am so glad you're ok, that's terrifying! Now go enjoy your baby boy! 
    Here we go again! 2 u 2 :-) BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh no! So glad you're ok!
  • glad things are getting better. was wondering how you were doing! I hope you continue to recover and are able to enjoy your new LO!
    He melts me...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Calvin Francis
  • ProfEDDProfEDD member
    So sorry you had to go through that. Glad things are improving!
    September '15 siggy challenge: Happy Dance
    dancing,ron swanson,gifs,drunk,funny
  • JoJo716JoJo716 member
    Wow! I am so glad you are feeling better! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    Oh my gosh, I missed the original post but I am so glad to hear you are doing better!!!
  • Boo0512Boo0512 member
    Omg! I'm sorry to hear that you went through that but I'm glad to hear that you are doing better!
  • I'm glad to hear you are doing better!

**BFP 6/2/2015
    Toddler Boy 5/24/2013
  • Glad you're feeling better! Hope you keep improving!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • rsage53rsage53 member
    Glad to hear that things are looking better for you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LN1024LN1024 member
    So happy to hear that things are going better for you!
  • Goodness!! Glad to hear you're doing better. Rest up and enjoy your little man!

• Holy crap, that's so scary!!  I'm glad you're doing better now and I hope that you continue to do well!!  
  • Wow that is really scary! Glad to hear you are doing better!
  • So glad you're doing better!  
  • So, glad you went in and had yourself checked out!
  • Wow, 31 pounds.  So glad things are better.  
  • Yikes so scary, I had the same thing 6 days pp and ended up going back to the hospital for one night. It wasn't quite into my lungs yet, but I was on my way. I took lassix for a few days and lost 5qts of swelling overnight, so needless to say I felt much better once all that swelling was going away...glad you're on the mend and feeling better!!!
  • Oh my goodness, I'm so happy you posted an update! I am so glad to hear you are ok, you have been in my thoughts. I saw your post last week but couldn't remember who posted it because I was still so sick myself. I had the same exact diagnosis after my C-section a couple of weeks ago. It was easily the scariest few days of my life. Hardest part for me is LO came home without me and I missed many of her firsts. 

My question to you is do they know what caused it? Did your blood pressure ever get really high? They still aren't sure what caused mine, I have a repeat echocardiogram this week. My biggest issue is my blood pressure is still through the roof 4 weeks later and it gives me the worst headache and scares me. They never diagnosed me with Pre-e, although now I wonder since LO was IUGR and all the post partum issues.

I'm glad you are feeling better, each day gets easier from here. I'm not going to lie- its hard some days I find myself almost angry that I didn't get to have the normal first mom experience, all the way from breast feeding to first doctor's appt. good luck, let me know if your doctors gave you any answers as to why. So happy you are better! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No, they don't know what caused it. I never had any blood pressure issues and I still don't. I do feel so much better. It's still crazy....

April 29, 2013
    8 pound 4 ounces
    20 1/2"

DX: 2001 Severe Endometriosis 
    5/2006: BFP 5/2006: M/C
    10/2008: TTC W/Severe Endo
    1/2010: 6 cycles with Clomid=all BFN
    9/5/2012: BFP 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TheCraftyPie/265482416859470

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards