May 2013 Moms

Who is STILL in the overdue club?

::Raises Hand::

40w4d's here. Who is with me?

It's looking more and more like I'll be going through with my Wednesday induction, sad face. I really want to go into labor naturally but my doctor is going out of town soon and I don't want to have an unknown doctor. Boo!!

I know there is still a chance I could go into labor on my own but I've kind of given up on that dream.

Re: Who is STILL in the overdue club?

• pnutgpnutg member
    Im hoping to avoid Wed induction as well. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • JoJo716JoJo716 member
    41 weeks today! I am scheduled to be induced tomorrow so not much longer! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • 40 weeks and 6 days here! I also have a Wednesday induction scheduled that starts with cervidil tomorrow night. Anyone else's start like that? Still holding onto the hope that things starting up tonight or tomorrow!
  • Yep, in the overdue club.  I am three days over now.  I won't consider an induction till 42 weeks.

Average first time mom's don't give birth naturally until 41.3 so I don't see the point in rushing things.   Baby will come when he is ready!

• imagemslaurats:

Yep, in the overdue club.  I am three days over now.  I won't consider an induction till 42 weeks.

Average first time mom's don't give birth naturally until 41.3 so I don't see the point in rushing things.   Baby will come when he is ready!

For some people, it's not about rushing it's about the health and safety of the baby. My OB won't let me go past 41 weeks and I wouldn't want to. Placental deterioration, fluids, size of baby, etc are all concerns after that point. Recent studies have even shown that it can be unfavorable for outcomes to go to 42 weeks.

• imageTrish625:
    40 weeks and 6 days here! I also have a Wednesday induction scheduled that starts with cervidil tomorrow night. Anyone else's start like that? Still holding onto the hope that things starting up tonight or tomorrow!

Me, starts tomorrow night too.  I'm super nervous and didn't really want to be induced but I've been having trouble sleeping (at all, even with ambien) and trouble breathing.  To be honest I just want her out and safe and I feel like I brought her to full term which is pretty good since it's been rough.  I was going to hold off another week but with memorial day weekend I couldn't get a for sure spot... 

• I'm in the over due club too! trying to a vbac so induction is off the table, but i wont consider a c-section until almost 42 weeks. gonna let this baby cook and not let the doctor tell me she's ready (although i am) 
  • imageTheyCalledHerKate:
    imagemslaurats:

Yep, in the overdue club.  I am three days over now.  I won't consider an induction till 42 weeks.

For some people, it's not about rushing it's about the health and safety of the baby. My OB won't let me go past 41 weeks and I wouldn't want to. Placental deterioration, fluids, size of baby, etc are all concerns after that point. Recent studies have even shown that it can be unfavorable for outcomes to go to 42 weeks.

Agreed. It's not impatience. I went into labor myself at 40wk 4days. In the hospital they found my fluid was low. I was supposed to have a doc appt that day and they said that if I hadn't started contracting that day they would have induced me the next day anyway. And wouldn't have let me go past 41 no matter what.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jmevoljmevol member
    Me too. 41w 1day, have an appt to be induced tomorrow night. I really wanted to go into labor on my own but my dr thinks its best and I trust her judgement. I've been having menstruallike cramps all day today though so now i'm hoping baby girl may decide to come on her own before tomorrow!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemslaurats:

that's actually not true, at least according to this source:

There's a popular rumor out there that first time moms are very likely to go past their due dates... sometimes even way past. I had people tell me to expect to go a week overdue. Here's what I found in the survey. Considering only births resulting from spontaneous labor:

• The average first time mom had her baby at 39W,5D. 55.6% of first time moms delivered their babies on or before their due date. This is based on 2254 first time moms who filled out the survey.
    • The average second time mom had her baby at 39W,5D. 56.4% of second time moms delivered their babies on or before their due date. This is based on 622 second time moms who filled out the survey.
    • For mothers with more than one previous birth, the delivery was at 39W,2D. 58.5% of these moms delivered their babies on or before their due date. This is based on 73 births.
    So why the rumor about first time moms going late? There are articles all over the web that say the average first time mother goes eight days overdue and doesn't have her baby until 41 weeks, 1 day. I say hold off, people. There's only one study that suggested this median: The length of uncomplicated human gestation (Mittendorf et al). The study was simply a record of a few hundred women at one private practice. Only 31 of those women were first time mothers. The study itself calls for further research. You can read it here. Given the small sample size and drastic deviation from the large-scale studies cited in my introduction, I'd suggest we dispell the rumor a bit and calm everybody down. And teach bloggers to read medical studies. Due date statistics are much better looked at as an epidemiology topic than a medical one, anyway.

from https://spacefem.com/pregnant/charts/duedate6.php

• pnutgpnutg member
    imageannagrya:

imageTrish625:
    40 weeks and 6 days here! I also have a Wednesday induction scheduled that starts with cervidil tomorrow night. Anyone else's start like that? Still holding onto the hope that things starting up tonight or tomorrow!

Me, starts tomorrow night too.  I'm super nervous and didn't really want to be induced but I've been having trouble sleeping (at all, even with ambien) and trouble breathing.  To be honest I just want her out and safe and I feel like I brought her to full term which is pretty good since it's been rough.  I was going to hold off another week but with memorial day weekend I couldn't get a for sure spot... 

This is me too. I'm incredibly miserable and I was worried about not being able to schedule anything for at least another week due to the holiday weekend. My Dr surprised me this morning and scheduled me for Wed at 6:30 am! Good luck to everyone else getting induced! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemslaurats:

BUT sometimes labor does not start and you have to get induced anyways.  I think I may be one of those moms that figure if I may have to get induced why not get it done sooner than labor.

Either way you run the risk of ending up with an emergency c-section.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Boo0512Boo0512 member
    imagemslaurats:

I agree that going into labor naturally is the best for mother and baby but my doctor won't let me go past 41 weeks. I don't really want to have an induction but I don't want to have a random doctor that I don't know or trust deliver my baby either.

I know she has been in there long enough that she will be fully developed. Also, I am already 3cm dilated and 80% effaced and my doc said that her head is extremely low, so I'm hoping my body just needs a little nudge to get things going.

• This is one club I hope I am not part of much longer! I am 41w3d and will be induced in 1 week (though at my next appointment I am going to see if we can induce on Friday instead).

My MW decided with us that it was ok for me to go that long, though I will be having 2 NSTs this week just to keep an eye on baby. But I 100% agree that it is different for every woman/pregnancy. All pregnancies are different so expecting everyone to go to 42w prior to induction isn't realistic. I think everyone has to talk it over with their doc and figure out what is best for their specific situation.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Boo0512Boo0512 member
    imageannarussell05:
    imageBoo0512:
    imagemslaurats:

I agree that going into labor naturally is the best for mother and baby but my doctor won't let me go past 41 weeks. I don't really want to have an induction but I don't want to have a random doctor that I don't know or trust deliver my baby either.

I know she has been in there long enough that she will be fully developed. Also, I am already 3cm dilated and 80% effaced and my doc said that her head is extremely low, so I'm hoping my body just needs a little nudge to get things going.

All of this. I'm meeting with my MW tomorrow to discuss an induction as early as tomorrow. She won't let me go past 41 weeks either. I'm also 3cm and 70% effaced so I'm praying a couple doses of gel is all I will need to get things going. 

But I must say I am NOT happy about still being in the overdue club.  Every minute feels like an hour and the days feel like weeks. 

Totally.

• 40w+5 I have an ultrasound scheduled on Wed. when I am exactly 41w to check the fluid. They will then schedule a NST. As long as all this is normal won't be induced until 42w. I am so ready to meet this baby but know the MW will guide me through. I wasn't favorable enough for a membrane sweep last Friday so maybe Wed. will have a better outcome.

I totally agree with pp that every women's pregnancy is unique. Statistics aside your baby, you and your practitioner are the only ones that should be the deciding factors in the decisions we make. Good Luck everyone and hopefully we will not be members of this club for long. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm really surprised everyone is so induction-happy. I'm very impatient, but induction DOUBLES your c-section risk, and most people don't have natural (pain med-free) births when they're induced. I'd like to at least try avoiding an epidural this time. 

I'm only 2 days past my due date though (My ticker is off), so I suppose I COULD feel differently later. But I was almost induced with my first and was so glad I went into labor naturally. Getting induced at 41 weeks seems sort of reckless to me if there are no signs of distress. Due dates can be miscalculated and Baby just might not be ready.

FWIW though, I'd totally be open to any non-medical types of induction if my midwife suggested herbs or anything! (I see her tomorrow.) 

Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• Boo0512Boo0512 member
    imagehollowstar:

I'm really surprised everyone is so induction-happy. I'm very impatient, but induction DOUBLES your c-section risk, and most people don't have natural (pain med-free) births when they're induced. I'd like to at least try avoiding an epidural this time. 

I'm only 2 days past my due date though (My ticker is off), so I suppose I COULD feel differently later. But I was almost induced with my first and was so glad I went into labor naturally. Getting induced at 41 weeks seems sort of reckless to me if there are no signs of distress. Due dates can be miscalculated and Baby just might not be ready.

FWIW though, I'd totally be open to any non-medical types of induction if my midwife suggested herbs or anything! (I see her tomorrow.) 

I am not induction happy. I am not being induced tomorrow because I'm being impatient. My OB believes that the risks to my baby go up drastically after 41 weeks of pregnancy and I'm definitely going to trust her. As I had written, I would much rather go into labor on my own but I'm not going to risk placenta/fluid problems.

• D&S724D&S724 member
    imagehollowstar:

I'm really surprised everyone is so induction-happy. I'm very impatient, but induction DOUBLES your c-section risk, and most people don't have natural (pain med-free) births when they're induced. I'd like to at least try avoiding an epidural this time. 

Good for you, but it's really not fair to call people "induction happy" unless you know their personal situations or you have a medical degree.  I don't think anyone who gets induced at 40-41 weeks is jumping the gun.  I understand your point, but your wording is very judgemental.

Mommy of 3 beautiful boys!
    image.
  • I agree with you that ultimately the health of the mother and the baby should drive the decision to induce, so yes, it isn't just about rushing things but about making sure you do what is best for you and the baby.   So women should monitor carefully after a certain point.

But there is real scientific data to support that a normal pregnancy is between 39-42 weeks so as long as you are monitoring and everything looks healthy I don't think you are putting your baby at risk by waiting.   There are definitely induction risks too that need to be weighed very carefully.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"