June 2013 Moms

wow! final U/S

Final ultrasound was today, and DD is measuring  7 lbs 8 oz, and I'm only 36 wks 4 days. They said her legs are so long they are measuring at 39 weeks! Her weight puts her at two weeks ahead. Everything looks wonderful and she's very healthy.  We are so blessed! She was puckering her big lips the whole time, we got a great photo of it. They are huge! Her head is way down and she's facing my back, so that's really exciting.  Looks like we will just barely make it to June (or else she'll be a nine pounder). Gave the doc the OK to check me next week to see if I'm dilated, but she is definitely positioned for exit.

What were everyone's measurements at your U/S? Anybody find out if the estimate was way off?  I know it can be up to a lb off.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Anniversary       

Re: wow! final U/S

• My last US was at a couple days shy of 36wks and DS2 was measuring right at about 6lbs. My next US is next week right at 38wks to check his size so I'm assuming he will be about 7lbs since they typically gain about half a pound each week. I'm not sure on height or anything.

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • hjk5000hjk5000 member
    Why will you barely make it to June?
    PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehjk5000:
    Why will you barely make it to June?

Duh.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3049862912/h3D32A15C/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • sheacoxsheacox member
    my dr doesn't even bother with telling me a weight guess because they are never right... I wouldn't put much worry into it.

TTC since 03/2011
    BFP#1 spontaneous conception! 4/28/12 natural MC on 5/9/12
    IUI#1 with clomid and trigger on 9/12/12
    BFP#2 on 9/26/12 EDD 6/5/13
    Beta #1 143 14dpo Beta #2 343 16dpo Beta #3 920 18dpo
    Please, Please, Please stick baby!

Baby Mackenzie born 5/28/2013!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Actually, I don't really know that. I was just surprised that she measured big. My due date is June 13th.  I guess I'm just predicting she'll come a little early (like first week in June) based on her weight and how well she is positioned already.  I haven't had any internals yet, so I really don't know anything.  I had thought that she was measuring right on average (as opposed to ahead) based on the external growth checks my doc was doing every week.  He said my uterus was measuring exactly on track, so I thought she would only be a little over 6 lbs at this point. I was shocked! At least her head is measuring average, so maybe she's just chubby (or really long) :) 
    Anniversary       

• hjk5000hjk5000 member

Also, totally not trying to be snarky and genuinely curious, why did you have a growth u/s? Do you have any issues that they need to monitor? For the majority of normal pregnancies it's considered elective.

Congrats on the cool pics. They were never able to get any good 4D pics of either of my kids at our anatomy scans and it was a bummer. 

• I guess this practice just does a routine u/s at around 36 weeks to check fluid levels, positioning, etc. They didn't mention that it was elective.  My last u/s was at 20 weeks for the full anatomy scan, and they won't do another one.
    Anniversary       

• imagehjk5000:

Also, totally not trying to be snarky and genuinely curious, why did you have a growth u/s? Do you have any issues that they need to monitor? For the majority of normal pregnancies it's considered elective.

Congrats on the cool pics. They were never able to get any good 4D pics of either of my kids at our anatomy scans and it was a bummer. 

thanks! We thought about getting the 4D u/s, but decided not to.  The pics weren't all that great in general (i have a hard time interpreting them anyway), but there was one profile shot that showed her puckering her big lips, it was so funny.  Her daddy has big lips so now we're telling everyone she has daddy's lips and mommy's legs.

Anniversary       

• sheacoxsheacox member
    hate to be a downer... but people give birth to large babies all the time and that doesn't mean they will come early... my SIL just gave birth to a 9 1/2lb baby at 40 weeks. and the growth u/s measured her at 7 1/2lbs... so really at this point, it doesn't mean much and I wouldn't get excited either way. baby will come when baby comes and will be as big or little as she is.

TTC since 03/2011
    BFP#1 spontaneous conception! 4/28/12 natural MC on 5/9/12
    IUI#1 with clomid and trigger on 9/12/12
    BFP#2 on 9/26/12 EDD 6/5/13
    Beta #1 143 14dpo Beta #2 343 16dpo Beta #3 920 18dpo
    Please, Please, Please stick baby!

Baby Mackenzie born 5/28/2013!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Hey, I'll be excited if she's 10 + lbs and two weeks late or 6 lbs and two weeks early :) it was beautiful to see her. surprising to see the weight estimate, seeing as how I was only 7lb/5oz and DH was a 5 lb twin.  But you're right it's just an estimate, so we'll find out for sure when she arrives. She could be 8 lbs or even 6, who knows!
    Anniversary       

• imagejo27key:
    I guess this practice just does a routine u/s at around 36 weeks to check fluid levels, positioning, etc. They didn't mention that it was elective.  My last u/s was at 20 weeks for the full anatomy scan, and they won't do another one.

Similar here. At my practice, it's technically not routine but they offer one at 37-38 weeks to check the fluid level, size and positioning.  I have several friends that go to the same practice and they all had them at 37/38 weeks.  One learned that he was breached (cant remember which type, but it was the type where it's less likely to correct himself) so she was scheduled for a c section at 39 wks and my other friend learned that her fluid level was dangerous low (she did not notice any leakage) so she was induced that night.  When my dr offered it, I took it.  My husband and his brother were both over 10 lbs and my husband has a large head to the point where he has to special order his hats. I figured I'd want to know to mentally prepare myself if this baby's head is like his. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I had a growth scan today and baby boy was measuring 5lbs13oz (plus or minus 1 lb).

With DD, I had an u/s within a few days of her being born and it was off by a couple ounces.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehjk5000:

Seriously? Why did you have such a meltdown last week about internals and such, but now you are having unnecessary ultrasounds and considering checks. It just doesn't make sense.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

• SLaBM2BSLaBM2B member
    imagekaleyandjason:
    imagehjk5000:

Seriously? Why did you have such a meltdown last week about internals and such, but now you are having unnecessary ultrasounds and considering checks. It just doesn't make sense.

Yes 

SURPRISE! BFP: 12/2014 - EDD: 8/13/15

We made plans and God laughed

DS: BFP: 9/30/12 - EDD: 6/9/13

Radley Quinn was fashionably late via induction on 6/17/13

• kread8kread8 member
    imageSLaBM2B:
    imagekaleyandjason:
    imagehjk5000:

Yes 

I agree.  This is very conflicting and doesn't mesh with what you were saying just a few days ago. 

M/C 7/8/12

Perfect baby boy born 7/8/13

BFP 8/20/14 EDD 4/27/15 It's a GIRL!!

• I was unfamiliar with the purpose for internals, and wasn't sure how to approach my doctor about it after I read about the risks of spreading bacteria.  After I discussed all of my concerns with my doc, and felt more comfortable, I agreed to consider an internal check closer to 38/39 weeks.  He said that it was only a risk if he were to strip my membranes.  I consider this u/s necessary because it checks her position and AF levels. I never even thought to decline it.  I've only had 3 u/s throughout my entire pregnancy.
    Anniversary       

• BC&LMBC&LM member
    imagekaleyandjason:
    imagehjk5000:

Without being a doctor and looking at her chart, how are you determining her ultrasound is unnecessary? Her doctor might not have told her the reason for this ultrasound like he or she should have, but that doesn't mean it was unnecessary. I feel like many people try to "play doctor" in situations like this when they don't know the whole story. I do think the OP should have asked more specifically about the purpose of the ultrasound, though. I have had several more than normal, but there were medical reasons for all, which I made sure I thoroughly understood before agreeing to them. I also agree with the general sentiment that the OP should remember weights are just guesses, though, and that she shouldn't freak out about them.
  • imageBC&LM:
    imagekaleyandjason:
    imagehjk5000:

Without being a doctor and looking at her chart, how are you determining her ultrasound is unnecessary? Her doctor might not have told her the reason for this ultrasound like he or she should have, but that doesn't mean it was unnecessary. I feel like many people try to "play doctor" in situations like this when they don't know the whole story. I do think the OP should have asked more specifically about the purpose of the ultrasound, though. I have had several more than normal, but there were medical reasons for all, which I made sure I thoroughly understood before agreeing to them. I also agree with the general sentiment that the OP should remember weights are just guesses, though, and that she shouldn't freak out about them.

I'm happy about the u/s, and not that concerned about the weight at all, as I know it is an estimate (which I stated in the OP). The doctor did explain the purpose for the u/s, and I have had so few of them that, like I said, I wouldn't have thought to decline it.  I was very excited to get to see my little girl.

Anniversary       

• hjk5000hjk5000 member
    imageBC&LM:
    imagekaleyandjason:
    imagehjk5000:

I didn't make any determinations. Still, an u/s with no medical reason behind it would be considered elective. OP was very adamant about unnecessary procedures in some of her previous posts, so that's why so many of us are curious.

• imageBC&LM:

It wasn't said "it IS unnecessary" just that many growth U/S are- women have birthed babies for thousands of years without having a size estimate. If I'd have had an uneventful pregnancy, I would have turned down the one my office does- they even said they don't like to do them, unless there is concern regarding positioning and fluid levels. My SIL was only offered a growth U/S because of issues in previous pregnancies.

The reaction here is also based on a poster who has presented as hyper-nervous previously, and also mentioned they don't want unnecessary exams/treatments/etc. 

imageimage
    Our lil' diva: late like her Momma: 40 weeks 5 days!
  • I think everyone needs to simmah down.  We're all learning and we all get freaked out about different things at different times.  She's been very calm and has explained every accusation and snarky question she's been asked, and I'm happy that she's doing her due diligence in asking her doctor about things now.

Glad your LO is looking healthy, OP!

• Also, I didn't know 3rd tri ultrasounds were unnecessary until about a month ago.  So, I was just expecting one, too.  Til my husband asked in front of the OB. 
  • imageGingerBabyTX:

I think everyone needs to simmah down.  We're all learning and we all get freaked out about different things at different times.  She's been very calm and has explained every accusation and snarky question she's been asked, and I'm happy that she's doing her due diligence in asking her doctor about things now.

Glad your LO is looking healthy, OP!

thank you, GingerBabyTX.  You're a gem.

Anniversary       

• imagesheacox:
    hate to be a downer... but people give birth to large babies all the time and that doesn't mean they will come early... my SIL just gave birth to a 9 1/2lb baby at 40 weeks. and the growth u/s measured her at 7 1/2lbs... so really at this point, it doesn't mean much and I wouldn't get excited either way. baby will come when baby comes and will be as big or little as she is.

All of this. DD1 was 9.6 lbs and I was a day late and pushed her right out. No big deal!
  • imagejo27key:
    I guess this practice just does a routine u/s at around 36 weeks to check fluid levels, positioning, etc. They didn't mention that it was elective.  My last u/s was at 20 weeks for the full anatomy scan, and they won't do another one.

My OB does it routinely at 36 weeks - you can decline if you want, but it's pretty common in our area

photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"