May 2013 Moms
Options

Things no one ever told me about labor

I have had regular contractions timing about 5 min apart since 2am saturday morning. At first I didnt know if they were contractions because they felt like mild menstrual cramps so I started timing them. Then after a trip to the zoo with my SIL and nephew they got more intense and painful and saw brown discharge (my mucus plug). My doula told me rest and eat. I tried but they were getting stronger and closer together. Decided to go to the hospital to check cervix. I was only 1cm and 50% which is what I've been since last Mon at MW appt. Basically they told me its not labor and could go on like this for a few days. WTH?!?!? So in conclusion you can have regular, strong, stop you in your tracks contractions and still not be in labor. That's something they don't tell you. This sucks I'm 3 days overdue, in constant pain, and can't rest. Anyone else experienced this?

Re: Things no one ever told me about labor

• Options
    I've been having the 5 1 1 contractions. That's why I called and they told me to come in. But they said its not labor...again this totally sucks. I knew labor/prelabor could last awhile but this isn't even that...
  • Options
    vic1011vic1011 member
    I'm sorry, hope the real deal happens for you soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had that happen on the 8th. Fingers crossed next time you have those strong contractions and go to the hospital you leave with a baby!
  • Options
    Yep, I can definitely relate. When they were monitoring mine and they were 6 minutes apart, but I was only finger tip dilated, they said that it will most likely continue for a few more days and to call when they become 3 min apart! That seems like it is really cutting it close to me.
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    With my first I was having the contractions like they wanted, 5 1 1 and went to the hospital where I was at 2 cm. I was not dilated at all before labour. They let me stay and he was born about 12 hours later.

After my water broke with my second it took a few hours for contractions to start but I was still only about 2cm when I got to the hospital. He was born after about 12 hours.

• Options
    April!April! member
    A woman in my birth class had regular contractions for days without dilating and was so uncomfortable. Finally they gave her an Ambien and sent her home, and when she went back the next morning she was 9 cm! The nurse running the class said they used to just tell women in her situation to have a beer and go to bed, but now they use Ambien. :) Maybe they can give you something to help you sleep?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 9/5/2012 -- Born 5/20/2013 -- Welcome, rainbow baby!
    BFP #1 1/24/12 -- No HB 2/16/12 -- Misoprostol 3/10/12
    image image image
  • Options
    She came! When I originally posted I had already been seen twice. I went a 3rd time thinking they would say the same thing even tho I was in soooo much more pain and I was at 3cm 80% effaced and they kept me! Long and painful labor but soooo happy she is finally here!
  • Options

imagealexandria921:
    She came! When I originally posted I had already been seen twice. I went a 3rd time thinking they would say the same thing even tho I was in soooo much more pain and I was at 3cm 80% effaced and they kept me! Long and painful labor but soooo happy she is finally here!

Congratulations!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"