Cloth Diapering
Options

Econobum cloth diaper set, yay or nay?

I'm going to be a second time mother come October and have started looking into cloth diapers. Probably seems early but since its a big initial investment ie decided to start my homework.
I came across what seems like a very economical diaper set at 49.99 and it includes 12 one size prefolds and 3 one size covers.
I'm sure that's nowhere near enough to start but I'm hoping for your opinions if you've tried them or a suggestion for an easy and/or economical set.

Thank you in advance, I will now go back to lurking.

Re: Econobum cloth diaper set, yay or nay?

• Options
    I only have one econobum cover and its worked great!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

The covers are fine.  I would not recommend the prefolds simply because of the awkward shape and size.  They are waaay to bulky for newborn and even now at a chunky 9 months I don't really like the way they fit on my baby. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was gifted that at my shower and was very excited to use them.  The prefolds are very soft!  However, I just started using the covers now at 4 months.  The covers are nice, but not my favorites (probably b/c they are still a bit big).  The prefolds are still huge on my 15.5lb boy.  They would probably work if I trifolded them, but I prefer the jelly roll fold for my EBF baby and they are too bulky that way.  Right now I am using the prefolds as changing pads around the house. I don't see how they could work from birth unless you had a very big baby and trifolded them.  Probably fine for use on an older baby though.

BFP on 5/3/12 - EDD 1/12/13 - Samuel Joseph born 1/5/13!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    A friend of mine uses them exclusively and loves them. Can't beat the price. She said it takes a while for it to fit.. I won't be using them but if you're on a budget I think it's a good deal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We got the Econobums trial kit (1 cover + 3 prefolds for $11 or 12) and I like it. I use the trifold and works well for us. It's a generally good deal but a couple of things if you haven't CDed before. 

1) You can also get prefolds and covers from Kawaii for an even cheaper deal. They have a package of 6 covers + 2 dozen prefolds for $50. Their prefolds are bigger.  

2) While prefolds are great for many reasons, some people find that wet cotton against baby's skin causes rash problems. Others don't obviously, but I share that just to flag that you don't know what kind of skin issues your LO might have, so maybe get just 1 box of the Econobum kit and order more if it works out well for you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    haileyqhaileyq member
    I have the cover and like it on my 16# 11 week old. I haven't tried the prefolds so I can't speak to that, but I do like the cover. I imagine for a NB it would be too big. The cover works well and I've not had any leaks, but it is very bulky. I use Blueberry Bamboo prefolds in it successfully.
  • Options
    ohlordyohlordy member

I bought 3 sets around Black Friday last year all for around $130, giving me 36 prefolds, 9 covers, and 3 small wet bags. I love them and they work great for us. DD took a while to grow into the prefolds, but we just folded them so they would fit her. 

I wasn't able to use the one-size covers until she hit about 9lbs, so I bought 3 Thirsties Size One covers and those were perfect. Now, i use all the covers including the thirsties. 

I definitely fall in the minority when it comes to CDing because that is my entire stash. It works for us! I would recommend them to anyone. They're easy to prep, easy to wash, and easy to fold. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"