May 2013 Moms

Hospital Nights

Hello all!

For the gals who have delivered already, how did your nights go at the hospital? My nights seem to be very different from my days! I saw the posts below about the witching hour, but everyone who responded seemed to have little ones who were a bit older. My DD is fine for the most part during the day. She eats, looks around for a bit, then naps until she's ready to eat again. However last night and tonight, she refuses to be set down in the crib. I have to be holding her or she has to be on my chest. Last night she started acting this way at about 9pm and it lasted until 3am. This evening, she started right after eating at 8:30 and is calm at the moment but that's because she's asleep on my chest. DS did the same thing, he cried for the ENTIRE second night despite anything I tried. He ended up having colic so little to be said, I am starting to get very worried that she may be just as difficult as her brother.

I guess my question is does the witching hour apply to newborns, or is it for a litlte bit older in age? And has anyone other then my experienced this in the hospital? As far as I can remember, DS was better once we got home when he could be in his swing or his basinet, as it vibrated. Although by the time he was a month old he hated to be in his swing and only slept in his basinet at night but that's a different story.

Just curious if it's just my kids that seem to hate the hospital!

Thanks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Hospital Nights

• The second night at the hospital and 2 days after we were home my LO did the exact same thing. I actually just went thought this last 2 nights. Sound asleep at my side, soon as I lay her down wide awake and crying. She'll cry to be nurses and then fall asleep at my breast then thr cycle begins. I'm a FTM so not sure if its the same for everyone else thou.

• Thank you for the response. At least i'm not the only one. I told my DH that I feel like maybe we just make angry babies! So I was starting to wonder if it's just the adjustment of life outside the womb or if it's a personality thing. I know that in reality, it's probably an adjustment, but I think I have some PTSD from my first! So anything she does that DS did I am a little hesitant to accept!
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh we're not alone either. I saw on FB on a mommy page someone that posted tho exact question today. So it was a huge relief for me too. DH and I were so concerned. Most everyone said they tried different sleeping spots for LO. I personally am taking the approach of putting her to sleep in the crib all throughout the day, I used to have her sleep in the playpen, but not anymore until she adjusts to the crib again.

• For me I learned that DS will sleep on his own if he is in a SwaddleMe wrap bc I svck at swaddling with a real blanket. I also put down a thin blanket for him to sleep on in his PnP. I think the vinyl padding would be too cold for him. We also have a swing for him for when he does not want to be in his PnP. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • kmb6881kmb6881 member
    Our hospital actually provides a handout titled "The Second Night ". It talks about how all of the behaviors you just mentioned are completely normal and generally kick in the second night of life. Babies are over the initial sleepiness from delivery and the real adjustment to life outside the womb begins.

Baby Boy #1: 7.7.11

Baby Boy #2: 5.6.13

Baby Boy #3: edd 4.25.15

• I remember the second night being horrible with DS1. We finally sent him to the nursery and let them give him some formula in a syringe which seemed to help. He just seemed tobe continuously hungry.
  • imagekmb6881:
    Our hospital actually provides a handout titled "The Second Night ". It talks about how all of the behaviors you just mentioned are completely normal and generally kick in the second night of life. Babies are over the initial sleepiness from delivery and the real adjustment to life outside the womb begins.

This is exactly what I was looking for!! So helpful to know that it's not just my littles. I asked the nurse last night if this behavior was normal, and of course the response was "every baby is different, although some are fussier then others,' which didn't instill confidence in the fact that this was "normal." So just knowing that the second night we experienced is common enough for a hospital to write a handout about it is fantastic to know!! Thank you again!

• imageKaricomo:
    I remember the second night being horrible with DS1. We finally sent him to the nursery and let them give him some formula in a syringe which seemed to help. He just seemed tobe continuously hungry.

She seems to be hungry as well. She nurses for about an hour and then just doesn't seem satisfied afterwards unless she's being held. I finally broke last night and had the nurse take her for a few hours so I could get some sleep, as the first night of labor and the first night after birth were both VERY long nights and I knew once I got home I would have DS added to the mix and unable to sleep too much there. It was fantastic to get a few hours of unbroken sleep!

• imagerea1687:
    For me I learned that DS will sleep on his own if he is in a SwaddleMe wrap bc I svck at swaddling with a real blanket. I also put down a thin blanket for him to sleep on in his PnP. I think the vinyl padding would be too cold for him. We also have a swing for him for when he does not want to be in his PnP. GL!

We have a very nice swing left over from DS that I am SO excited to get home and use because I really think it will help, I think maybe hospitals should have a few that can be utilized the second night to help ease fussy babies. It might help the adjustment and help parents not feel so overwhelmed before they even get home.

• imagegtognietti:

imagerea1687:
    For me I learned that DS will sleep on his own if he is in a SwaddleMe wrap bc I svck at swaddling with a real blanket. I also put down a thin blanket for him to sleep on in his PnP. I think the vinyl padding would be too cold for him. We also have a swing for him for when he does not want to be in his PnP. GL!

We have a very nice swing left over from DS that I am SO excited to get home and use because I really think it will help, I think maybe hospitals should have a few that can be utilized the second night to help ease fussy babies. It might help the adjustment and help parents not feel so overwhelmed before they even get home.

That would be nice! But they would probably frown upon that lol. I felt more nervous as a new mom in the hospital bc I think I was trying to be the best with the little knowledge and experience I had. I definitely feel more comfortable at home with feeding and calming my son without nurses watching over me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • My daughter didn't like the hospital either. She slept on my chest the 3 nights we were there. She was cold and not feeling secure at all. I was on edge as well and it has settled out a lot since we have been home because we are more relaxed being home.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son always wanted to be held. Invest in a good carrier. With my first I was always trying to sneak him into the moses basket or bouncer. With this baby, I plan to just keep him on me all the time. It's totally normal for them to freak out when not on your body - They have literally been inside you every other day of their lives!

The hospital is harder because it isn't set up to safely keep your baby with you while you sleep. I wish the hospital had a co-sleeper like I have at home, or at least bigger beds with a rail. 

Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"