3rd Trimester

ICE cravings!!

Lately, all I want to eat is ice! I am 34 wks.  I want to chew ice all day long, I love ice!  This is so weird, I realize, and I really never chewed on ice before.  I also love freeze pops and can eat tons of those all day long too, but really just plain old ice is good enough for me!  I read something online (not sure about the accreditation of it) but it said it could be caused by anemia? I am anemic.  Just wondering if anyone else has been having this odd craving!!?!

Re: ICE cravings!!

• Sounds like it could be pica.  I've struggled with this a little bit, but mine is more about smells.  Like, I love the smell of Dial bar soap.  
    Married 6/11/2011
    Jack Walden born 6/17/2013  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Forever and A Day (Life and Love in Los Angeles)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sounds like pica - call your doc since you likely have a nutrient deficiency.  
  • Loading the player...
  • jayro10jayro10 member
    Craving ice can definitely be a sign of anemia. Check with your doctor to make sure you're getting enough iron.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Agreeing with everyone in that it could possibly be caused by anemia or be pica caused by a nutrient deficiency.  I'd see a doctor about it sooner rather than later because if it is a nutrient deficiency you need to get it taken care of.  Wanting to eat ice isn't a 'normal' craving since it's a non-nutritive substance and though the craving could be for something worse than ice, chewing ice is not good on your teeth (at least that's what my dentist told me).

Hope that helps! 

• I've been craving really cold things lately, but for me it's because it's really freakin' hot here now!  I've been diagnosed with anemia and am on a suppliment, but I'm pretty sure my craving to chew on ice has much more to do with the fact that it cools me down.  Otherwise I probably also wouldn't have the strong desire to rub it on my chest and legs, too.  Stick out tongue Having no AC in 90 degree temps while pregnant suuuuucks!

But like others have said, get it checked out with your caregiver.  Craving ice is a sign of a nutrician issue and you may need suppliments.  Although my midwife told me that it's a lot better to get the nutrients you need from your food rather than suppliments so also speak with a dietician to get a list of foods rich in whatever vitamin you need.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• I eat ice all day long. Its worse when I am at work. Its like as soon as my cup of ice is empty I fill up another one.
    MC
  • jlpevjlpev member
    imagejayro10:
    Craving ice can definitely be a sign of anemia. Check with your doctor to make sure you're getting enough iron.

This. My mom is anemic and gets the sonic ice by the bag. I love ice during my pregnancy. But I made sure to discuss it with my Dr. Thankfully I'm not anemic and my prenatal vitamin is giving me plenty of iron. Definitely discuss it with your Dr.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMommabear2144:
    I eat ice all day long. Its worse when I am at work. Its like as soon as my cup of ice is empty I fill up another one.

Not good.  Call your doc. 

• OMG I thought this was only me but ICE is my main craving I can eat Ice all day and I do. When I am at home I eat the ice from the trays in the freezer and once I am done I put water again freeze it and wait an hour or two and eat ice again ha(:

I loveeee ice in this pregnancy and yes they say anemic usually crave ice my mom was anemic and thoughts all she wanted was ice.

• Devils advocate it could just be tactile as well. I am an avid ice muncher pellet/soft no worries for teeth breakage, my iron levels are always phenomenal hemoglobin up in the 13s. Not considered pics either, it's just tactile, and that's ok per my doc. So no, it's not always a vitamin deficiency though do get checked to be sure!
  • flkongflkong member
    I agree with everyone about the pica because of anemia. I'm a little anemic and am on additional iron. I crave ice too, I will only drink stuff if it's frozen except I drink tons of water too. I actually forgot about the ice, anemia pica thing. Thanks for this reminder. Gonna make sure I don't skip out on the iron. (Side bar-they constipate you like crazy so I skip them sometimes or take colace too).

• I had this with DD and now again with DS. With DD it was considered "pica."

But with this little guy, I found out I was very anemic. Might want to mention it to your OB so they can check! I had to be put on iron supplements. 

Married my BEST FRIEND on December 1, 2007. Started TTC in March 2008. Found out we were expecting our first child in October 2008 - but had a m/c in December 2008 - resulting in a d&e. Met with a RE in May 2009 and set a plan - but conceived unexpectedly on our own! Our precious little Sophia was born on February 9, 2010! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My hemoglobin levels were always fine, but my iron reserves were low and it went away with supplements. Craving ice is an indication something is wrong; it might just not be the "easy" bloodwork that finds it.
  • i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE ICE. idk why but i eat it all day everyday !
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"