March 2013 Moms

Post-Baby Gifts and Thank You Notes?

Does anyone know what the rule is (or if there is one) for sending thank you notes for gifts sent AFTER the baby was born?  My little one is 11 weeks today and we received many sweet and thoughtful gifts since she was born.  During the first couple weeks, I was able to stay on top this task since my mom was here to help with other things.  But after she left, I've been on my own... and the thank you note list was moved to the bottom of my priority list.

I *think* most people would understand the craziness that comes with learning to be a mom for the first time (or the second for that matter), but my MIL sent a letter stating that some of her friends were asking about it.

I still definitely plan to send the TY notes, regardless of how late they are, but just wondering if there is an acceptable time frame to get these out.

Re: Post-Baby Gifts and Thank You Notes?

• I'm of the thought that late is better than never so, as long as you get them out eventually, you should be just fine.

My showers were after my LO was born so I've had to make, sign, address and send out TY cards whenever I have a few free minutes. I adhered personalized photos of LO with his birth info on them to blank note cards and have been writing messages inside of them. I've sent about 60 of them out so far and now that I'm caught up it takes no time to write up a card when we receive another gift.

I have been making mine when LO is sleeping or when my DH is chillin' with him in the evening.

My dad seemed a little disgruntled with me that I didn't get TY cards out sooner for the shower his gf held for me because they bought me TY cards and had the guests address the envelopes. So, in his eyes, all I had to do was write a message, affix a stamp, and send 'em out. But I wanted to include a photo of LO with those cards too and they weren't ready yet. I sent TY cards for that shower just over 3 weeks afterward and I think I did fairly well with that considering the fact that I'm trying to keep up with the needs of LO around the clock.
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • It's probably something you can get done instead of being on here...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • lkm2006lkm2006 member
    imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    It's probably something you can get done instead of being on here...

Helpful much? I know there's a crap load of stuff I need to do around the house but it's hard to do with a newborn and one hand most of the time. Sitting of the couch with a sleeping baby means Im on the bump on my phone. It's like rocket science how that works out..

OP, I most definitely would try to find time and get it done sooner rather than later. I think you are still in a perfectly fine time frame but life happens and I think they would just continue to get pushed down on the priority list.

• imagelkm2006:
    imageMrs MoJoRisin:

Helpful much? I know there's a crap load of stuff I need to do around the house but it's hard to do with a newborn and one hand most of the time. Sitting of the couch with a sleeping baby means Im on the bump on my phone. It's like rocket science how that works out..

OP, I most definitely would try to find time and get it done sooner rather than later. I think you are still in a perfectly fine time frame but life happens and I think they would just continue to get pushed down on the priority list.

Just sayin'
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Honestly if it were me I just wouldn't do them... but then again I HATE writing thank yous...

If it does make you feel any better I just sent out the last of my wedding thank yous with my shower thank yous... My wedding was last October. lol
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCindergurl:
    Honestly if it were me I just wouldn't do them... but then again I HATE writing thank yous...

If it does make you feel any better I just sent out the last of my wedding thank yous with my shower thank yous... My wedding was last October. lol

That is disgusting. I am shocked people still get you gifts. OP, you should get them done asap. I got all mine for post baby gifts out within 48 hours. I do it when the kid is sleeping. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageMrs MoJoRisin:

I was in the bathroom, but thanks for making me feel like I need to defend myself.   Embarrassed  That said, it makes me realize that my MIL isn't the only person that judgemental.  Oh and aren't your kids so lucky that they have have such a perfect mom!  (I'll say a few prayers for them tonight).

Thanks to everyone else for the comments and support. I'm going back to work in two weeks.  I'll plan to take my lunch break to write them. I am sure that most of them will understand.  By then, I think the longest is maybe 8 weeks since we got the gift (better late than never). 

I hope you all are enjoying your LOs as much as I have been!  

• imagecaladpi02:

imageCindergurl:
    Honestly if it were me I just wouldn't do them... but then again I HATE writing thank yous...

That is disgusting. I am shocked people still get you gifts. OP, you should get them done asap. I got all mine for post baby gifts out within 48 hours. I do it when the kid is sleeping. 

I didn't realize a lag in sending thank you notes could ever be characterized as "disgusting." Yikes.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRunaway22:
    imagecaladpi02:

imageCindergurl:

I didn't realize a lag in sending thank you notes could ever be characterized as "disgusting." Yikes.  

Lol, sounds like I better go take a shower! :

It is not like I didn't already thank most of those people in person... I even got a couple comments that people weren't expecting thank yous from the shower, because they understand how it is with a new baby.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My MIL had a baby shower for us on April 27th when my LO was already 5 weeks old and I have all of the cards written and addressed, I'm just short 3 stamps.  

That doesn't make you disgusting at all.  I never expect a thank you card from anyone, and if people expect them then they need to take a moment to realize how busy you are.  I'm sure that when you do get a few spare moments the first thing that you want to do is work on thank you cards....right? ;) 

• Wow I can't believe how brutal people on here are. People should not expect a thank you note. If they do then they shouldn't be buying others gifts! It's supposed to be the thought that counts. You say thanks when you get them and that should be enough! And omg disgusting? Disgusting is expecting a pat on the back just because you give a gift to a lived one!!! Wow some of these post are rude.

Anyways to the momma who posted this thank you cards are polite and like others say better late than never but I personally would rather spend time with my lo than write a bunch of thank you notes to people who already know I'm appreciative of their gifts! Enjoy your baby :
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"