Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How to introduce formula?

wondering how to introduce formula if/when the time comes to start supplementing. 

How do you pick which formula?
Do you just start going half and half?
Mix it in a bottle with breast milk or breastfeed THEN bottle feed formula?
If you are ultimately going 100% formula, do you start a little bit at a time to see if he'll tolerate it?

I had a few glasses of wine last night and my timing was off -- so I was engorged at a time when Id din't feel comfortable breastfeeding.  SO I pumped and dumped, and gave baby formula.  He usually takes 3-4 oz of breast milk, soI gave him 3 oz of formula.  He sucked it right down, but today he's been a MESS -- seems like he has an upset tummy, spitting up significant quantities after every feed, sobbing, etc. And today's he has had 100% breast milk.

Any tips?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: How to introduce formula?

• -I picked Similac Advanced because cases of the pre-made and powder was given to me by the hospital when I was first told to supplement.

-I gave him the pre-made liquid for the first week, then when I did introduce the powder I gave him the normal amount. (This was after he nursed both sides), I never mixed breast milk though.

-I will go 100% perhaps in two months. What I did was feed him until he was full the first time and watched him closely, of course you will watch him close for any reactions.

Funny thing is my son broke out in a rash all over his body immediately after drinking the first time, I was freaked out... well 24 hours of being terrified and a trip to the ER made me realize that it wasn't an allergy rash.. he broke out because he was on my blanket that I just washed with strong soap.. 

He was also gassy and still is, which is why at first I burped him every 1/2 oz. Now I do it every oz. My son spits up more after breastfeeding now days than formula.. which I find disheartening too.. 

I don't have any tips, but if you think your little one has an intolerance to anything, just wait for what his poop is like... all babies are gassy, and I heard soy and gas relief formula make it worse sometimes.

• We use enfamil newborn. That's what the hospital sent us home with, IF we do formula we do Half and half. When we ran out of the sample we used another, similac infant, and it had her gassy for DAYS! We only gave her 2/2oz bottles and then noticed a changed and immediately I sent out DH for the enfamil.
  • Loading the player...
  • We use enfamil which we use half and half. As for him being gassy actually in our case he seemed to get less gassy. I think the formula makes it easier for him to burp where when I breastfeed him which I still do about 75 percent of the time he does not like to burp we tried gerber good start and that made him so so gassy he was miserable for a couple of days
  • Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're comfortable pumping, why not have some pumped breast milk in the fridge for when you want to have a drink? I do that when I want a drink or for nights/mornings for my husband to give him a feeding so I can snooze. It's definitely better than struggling to find a formula that works...and paying for formula!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • MrsRKJMrsRKJ member

My LO eats about 3 oz every feeding (3-4 hours), and my pedi told me to start with 1/2 oz formula mixed with 2 1/2 oz of breast milk.  Now 1 1/2 weeks later I'm up to 1 oz formula mixed with 2 oz breast milk.  I'll probably start 50/50 soon.  I just can't keep up with his supply!  I had entire freezer loaded up when he was in the NICU, then he came home and is eating like crazy (which is great!)

I use Enfamil Enfacare (for preemies) 

Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

TTA until 2014

• I keep a few bags of breast milk in the freezer, so that if I have a drink or two, SO can give LO a bottle of BM while I pump (and throw it away if I'm still tipsy... I actually have those alcohol testing strips, too). Just a thought. Sorry, I know this doesn't really answer your question as I don't have any experience with that... but it is possible to make social drinking fit in with breast feeding! (Not sure of your reasons for making the switch).
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"