February 2012 Moms

Potty Training?

Has anyone started or started looking into potty training? I feel like DD is really really young but she's done everything else early and has started telling us when she needs to be changed.

Yesterday she even did the sign for poop after she dirtied her diaper and it was the first day of working on they sign.

I have not started researching potty training methods at all but I think it's time to start. Any recommendations?

Re: Potty Training?

• What's the sign for poop?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think potty training is very much "kid specific"!!!  Ian is nowhere close, but I have a nephew who was potty trained at 16 mo.  If you think she's ready and can tell you when she needs/has gone, then I say give it a try.  I don't have any book recommendations.

• Loading the player...
  • Daisy brings us diapers whine she needs to be changed too and she will tell us "poop" every now and then when she's dirty. Even though the signs are there in still waiting on potty training until I KNOW she's ready, otherwise it ends up being more of a negative experience than a positive one.
  • I was potty trained at 16 months.  I have no idea how my grandmother did it (my parents were on a month long vacation) but they came home and I was potty trained. My grandmother told my mom she was too old to be cleaning diapers all day (CD).  DD is no where near ready.  SD was almost 5 before she was fully potty trained but that was because her mom didn't try. I will probably start trying harder around 18-20 months and really pushing after 2.
  • It's probably easier to understand if I direct you to the ASL website, lifeprint.com. No clicky bc I'm on my phone. They have video demos and a good search function.

• imageDaizyMay22:
    Daisy brings us diapers whine she needs to be changed too and she will tell us "poop" every now and then when she's dirty. Even though the signs are there in still waiting on potty training until I KNOW she's ready, otherwise it ends up being more of a negative experience than a positive one.

That's what I'm concerned about as well, I don't want to traumatize her. I probably just need to google some and start digging in until I feel good about a method.

Right now my inclination is to get her a small potty chair and let her sit on it when I go. No pressure or anything just like look you can sit in the potty like mommy.

• I am.not sure when we will actually start trying to potty train, will need to do more research but at Ava's 15 month appointment the ped. did tell us that now is a perfect time to purchase a potty chair and introduce it to her, i will be buying one this weekend.
    Married 03/09
    TTC #1 02/11
    BFP #1 02/24/11 EDD 10/31/11 MC 03/02/11 @ 5w2d
    BFP #2 05/30/11 EDD 02/07/12 Ava Grace born 02/01/12

TTC #2 08/14
    BFP #3 10/10/14 EDD 06/20/15 CP 10/15/14 

My Ovulation Chart
  • imagejmccall79:
    I think potty training is very much "kid specific"!!!  Ian is nowhere close, but I have a nephew who was potty trained at 16 mo.  If you think she's ready and can tell you when she needs/has gone, then I say give it a try.  I don't have any book recommendations.

Wow, I didn't realize some kids could be potty trained that early! Most of my friends all potty trained their kids shortly after they turned 2. DD is definitely not ready, I can't get her to stop pooping in the tub. If she knew she had a poop she'd never tell me though because my DD STILL hates being changed.

• If you get a potty chair and just put her on it here and then and let her get the "feel" of it, I think you'd be ok.  I think it's "traumatizing" when they're "scared" of the potty.  If you make it something that's non-chalant then I don't think it would be upsetting or traumatizing for her.

And yes, 16mo is early, that's why I said that I think it's very "kid specific".  My nephew was very ready.  He would tell my sister when he had to go.  He would still wear diapers at night for a while but very rarely had any accidents.  And he went from diapers to underwear, no pull ups. 

• We've been doing "potty training" since he was a few months old with the idea that maybe he'd just grow up knowing that he's supposed to use the toilet but diapers are backup. Honestly that was more about training me to see his cues though. 

At this age it's half and half reading his cues and him straight up telling me when he needs to go... he's started signing for potty as well and we're having a bit of success getting him there in time. I imagine you could start, put zero pressure on it for her, and make it fun. We put the little guy on the toilet and read books to him so it's fun for all of us. At this rate we catch about half of the poops each day and a few pees, but he still uses the diaper plenty.  

I Take Lots of Pictures: www.camerahappymom.com

• And on the "kid specific" thing...the same sister who potty trained her son at 16mo, her 2nd kiddo wasn't potty trained 'til he was almost 3.  So, that further proves my theory of it being kid specific, lol.

• I read "diaper free baby" and really liked the book.  It resonated with me.  It's more about learning to read your baby's cues and timing so you can "catch" them when they need to go.  Hopefully eventually then they tell you.

I plan to play with early potty training when I'm home this summer.  As crazy as it sounds I was going to try putting him in undies when we play outise at home, so he knows what "wet" feel like.  We already have potty for him that we put him on every morning- he acutally goes most morning.

I think as long as you do it in a very no pressure way it won't hurt your kid.  By that I mean, if they cry or don't want to sit on the potty don't make them or give it a break.  Don't make a big deal if they have accidents.

BabyFruit Ticker

• With my DD I did a combination of methods and got her totally out of diapers by her 2nd birthday. Starting a little before she was a year old, I got the cute little froggy potty chair and just sat in the living room and showed her how to sit on it (with clothes) so she got the idea "oh! This is for sitting on!". Then I started to show her how to pull her pants down and sit. Around 15 months she started to show strong signs of being ready for full on training since she was hiding when she needed to poop and bringing me a diaper BEFORE it was even dirty, so it was clear she could "feel" the urge before she needed to go. I used the "potty train your toddler in 3 days" method but instead of doing the full 3 days, we would do 5 hour stretches during the day. This is when you just let them go naked or with baggy pants, give them tons of water, and sit them on the pot every 15-30 mins, then do a huge celebration when they happen to pee so they get the idea. I also used a doll and let her "teach" the doll how to go potty. It took a good month, but by 16 months she was diaper free at home with a handful of accidents each week, diaper free out of the house by 18 months, and using strictly the "big" potty (no more froggy potty) by 2. She just recently stopped using pull ups at night as well.

So basically I let her do the leading. I didn't push, but I did strongly encourage whenever possible. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we did the three-day method with my older daughter.  She turned 2 on a Friday and we started Saturday. She was potty trained by Monday.  It was fantastic.  I followed the guide on Baby Center.  Good luck!!
    Emmerson 3/23/10 Asher 2/7/12 Baby boy due 10/17/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"