Two Under 2

Anybody 2 under 1?

Just found out yesterday and kind of freaking out!  DD was born Jan. 30 and looks like this one is due Jan 1.  However, I'm thinking it will be a repeat C-section and I'll have two babies born in 2013.  Obviously this was not planned!  I just don't know how I'm going to cope!  Fortunately, I had a very easy pregnancy, and if you can tell at 7 weeks, this one is going to be the same.

Anybody else with two a year or less apart?  Any words of encouragement?  I can use all the help I can get!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anybody 2 under 1?

• I don't personally have this scenario, mine are 16mo, but I have a niece and nephew who are exactly one year apart (same birthday). They survived and are great, funny and well adjusted kids who are incredibly close.

I would baby proof everything for a walker well in advance of your due date - my SIL also swears by her play yard. It's a life saver for me too because I didn't (and still don't) trust my toddler at all without my supervision. It's big enough be can roam (we bought the extension kit), but being able to contain him was super important the first few months. 

The first few months I set up a station at the pack n play in our living area with multiple changes of clothes, diapers and everything I could need all day so I didn't have to run upstairs.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • smerkasmerka member
    Mine are just over 11 months apart.  They are now 2.5 and 3.5.  It can be hectic, but honestly I really like it.  I do feel I missed some of the special moments early on because of sleep deprivation, so try to enjoy it.  One advantage is that your first isn't really mobile for most of your pregnancy.  You'll survive because you have to.  You can do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't quite make 2u1 but were close-my kids beays are only 3 weeks apart. It had tough moments but the overall experience was manageable. Now that they're 3 and 2 it's pretty easy since they play with all the same toys and entertain each other a lot. 

I felt that pregnancy during the infant phase had to be the easiest time to do a second pregnancy-chasing toddlers around or keeping up with school age kids seems like it would be a lot tougher than napping twice a day with lo. If I just wanted to spend the day curled up on the couch, it didn't matter to my oldest. 

The harder time is managing both in the early days but it is doable if you stay organized and work at getting a good routine down.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine will be just over 12 months -- my c/s date is scheduled 10 days after DS's 1st birthday.. but, if DS2 comes early, they may be even closer!

I work full time, too, so that adds additional challenges to my "tiredness", but honestly it hasn't been as difficult as I thought it was going to be!! 1st tri was tough -- I was exhausted a lot and DS was only 3--6 months old, but DH helped out a great deal and it was manageable.. also helps that DS has been a pretty good sleeper!! STTN since 2 months :)  

Second tri was easy -- you get some of your energy back, DS1 still was immboile (he doesn't crawl!! LOL), and you're not "huge" yet..

Third tri has been a little more challenging so far already.. DS1 wants to walk everywhere, but can only do that with someone holding his hands.. sounds easy, but requires you to be leaning forward to do so!  Gets tiring, quick!  My back hurts after a few minutes, but DS could walk like that for hours!  I've actually "cheated" recently.. I take our office swivel chair with the wheels out into the dining room/hall ways where it's all hard woods and I'll swivel along in the chair holding DS's hands :)  Innovative!  Takes the pressure off me having to bend over, but still is allowing DS to walk all over!

I agree with PP that said about babyproofing everything for "walker ready".. we're also creating a "playroom" that will be a safe room.. his toys will be in there, it'll be gated off so I know I can put him in there and he can't get out, I'll make sure to have a comfy chair in there so I have a place to sit and nurse/feed DS2, etc.. I think having a space that I know is "safe" will definitely help when I need to step away and run and get something really quick, etc.  

Good luck!! I can't comment on how it is once the 2nd is here yet, but it's definitely exciting!! I can't wait :)

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • imageJulyMomma2U2:

Mine will be just over 12 months -- my c/s date is scheduled 10 days after DS's 1st birthday.. but, if DS2 comes early, they may be even closer!

I work full time, too, so that adds additional challenges to my "tiredness", but honestly it hasn't been as difficult as I thought it was going to be!! 1st tri was tough -- I was exhausted a lot and DS was only 3--6 months old, but DH helped out a great deal and it was manageable.. also helps that DS has been a pretty good sleeper!! STTN since 2 months :)  

Second tri was easy -- you get some of your energy back, DS1 still was immboile (he doesn't crawl!! LOL), and you're not "huge" yet..

Third tri has been a little more challenging so far already.. DS1 wants to walk everywhere, but can only do that with someone holding his hands.. sounds easy, but requires you to be leaning forward to do so!  Gets tiring, quick!  My back hurts after a few minutes, but DS could walk like that for hours!  I've actually "cheated" recently.. I take our office swivel chair with the wheels out into the dining room/hall ways where it's all hard woods and I'll swivel along in the chair holding DS's hands :)  Innovative!  Takes the pressure off me having to bend over, but still is allowing DS to walk all over!

I agree with PP that said about babyproofing everything for "walker ready".. we're also creating a "playroom" that will be a safe room.. his toys will be in there, it'll be gated off so I know I can put him in there and he can't get out, I'll make sure to have a comfy chair in there so I have a place to sit and nurse/feed DS2, etc.. I think having a space that I know is "safe" will definitely help when I need to step away and run and get something really quick, etc.  

Good luck!! I can't comment on how it is once the 2nd is here yet, but it's definitely exciting!! I can't wait :)

seriously invest in some walking wings. That was awesome for the phase ds needed help walking. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kagl08kagl08 member

My 2 are 13.5 months apart, so their birthdays are 6 weeks apart. I realize I don't qualify for 2u1, but I was pretty darn close. It's hard. I found the 1st 6 months to be h3ll, then the next 6 months were hard. Once DS reach 1 year if just kept getting easier each day. Now at 1.5 and 2.5 it's amazing and I love it so much! 

I will say that being pregnant with an infant was easy. She napped 2 naps a day my entire pregnancy and I could just lay around all day if I needed to because she didn't even start walking until 2 weeks before DS was born. I could rest, and it was manageable. I could not imagine being pregnant right now, or just having my 2nd. Running after a toddler does not seem appealing while pregnant. I don't regret having them close for a second and I see the benefits every day.  

• My older two are 14 mos apart, which is not quite 2u1 but was similar.

There's really no need to panic, just prepare as much as you can and then roll with it.

I found some advantages to be that my oldest was still napping, emotionally she adjusted very well because she was too young for real jealousy issues to sink in, and people around us offered lots of help. 

As they get older, it's easy to plan our entertainment and pick toys because they are both close to the same "stages" and share the same interests and limits.

Really mobility is a win-win (that's how I have to think of these things ;) ). If the older is less mobile you don't have a lot of chasing to do, and if they are it gives them a little more independence. 

My advice would be to really take care of yourself, eat well, rest as much as possible, while you still only have 1. Try to get a reasonable amount of routine/predictability down by the time you have your second, and childproof/create safe play zones. I know a playroom isn't feasible for everyone, but even just a gated area or play yard can serve the same purpose.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekagl08:

My 2 are 13.5 months apart, so their birthdays are 6 weeks apart. I realize I don't qualify for 2u1, but I was pretty darn close. It's hard. I found the 1st 6 months to be h3ll, then the next 6 months were hard. Once DS reach 1 year if just kept getting easier each day. Now at 1.5 and 2.5 it's amazing and I love it so much! 

I will say that being pregnant with an infant was easy. She napped 2 naps a day my entire pregnancy and I could just lay around all day if I needed to because she didn't even start walking until 2 weeks before DS was born. I could rest, and it was manageable. I could not imagine being pregnant right now, or just having my 2nd. Running after a toddler does not seem appealing while pregnant. I don't regret having them close for a second and I see the benefits every day.  

I haven't been able to get online too much the past 9 months due to what PP has said.. but I agree with ALL of this.. and the closer to 1 year DS#2 is getting the more I want a third :( lol Crazy? I think so, but the giggles and interaction between the kids is what makes it the best.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • kagl08kagl08 member
    imagemorgs8384:
    imagekagl08:

I haven't been able to get online too much the past 9 months due to what PP has said.. but I agree with ALL of this.. and the closer to 1 year DS#2 is getting the more I want a third :( lol Crazy? I think so, but the giggles and interaction between the kids is what makes it the best.

I don't think you're crazy. Right at 1 I started second guessing our decision to be done with 2. If DS hadn't of had the issues he had when he was born which forced us to be done, we would have had a 3rd and tried for the same age gap. Love it!  

• Thanks for the responses, ladies!  I will definitely have the house "baby-proofed" before hand.  I'm a little bit worried about packing around a 10-month old while I'm 8 months pregnant, but I guess you manage.  One thing my doctor warned me about tho, was lifting the "big baby" after I have my C-section.  I know she will still be very young, but I don't want to miss out on any cuddles with her!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"