Breastfeeding

Rec your dark beer...

I had a ziegenbock the other day and noticed a pumped a lot more then usual the next morning. Sooo, apparently I need to drink more dark beer! I think I can handle that! Give me your recs and I'm headed to the grocery store!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Our Sweet Boy "LJ"

Re: Rec your dark beer...

• I love dark beer.  I would recommend Guinness but it's only good on tap.  The cans they made taste like BUTT.  Negra Modelo is delicious, Dogfish Head World Wide Stout is good, there is a Sam Adams dark beer I think it's a black lager that I like.

Also check out this site I found :

https://drinkdarkbeer.tumblr.com/ 

• imagemexicolombiana:
    I love dark beer. nbsp;I would recommend Guinness but it's only good on tap. nbsp;The cans they made taste like BUTT. nbsp;Negra Modelo is delicious,nbsp;Dogfish Head World Wide Stout is good, there is a Sam Adams dark beer I think it's a black lager that I like.nbsp;Also check out this site I found :https://drinkdarkbeer.tumblr.com/nbsp;

Thanks for the blog! Breastfeeding just became more fun!
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Loading the player...
  • Ooohhhh....this is my favorite topic on here ever (and I've been active on this board for 16+ months....LOL).  People will tell you beer doesn't affect lactation but I believe differently.  Even my OB said to drink malty beer to help with milk production.  I started with half a beer while still in the hospital and I never had a supply issue - actually ended up with an O/S so be careful...LOL.  Of course, I like the hoppiest beers out there...but I'll suffer with a malty beer if I must. I don't know where you live so that will make a difference as to what you can get your hands on.  And all the summer beers are coming out - it was so much easier to find these beers in winter. I won't bother with the disclaimers of moderation and alcohol consumption while nursing because I assume you are able to navigate those waters appropriately. 

My first choice for a nice dark malty beer: Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot. (I will drink ANY thing by Lagunitas).  Others I would recommend without hesitation: Oskar Blues Old Chub, Ayinger Celebrator, Boddingtons Pub Ale (not dark but very malty), Great Divide Hibernation Ale. Founders Breakfast Stout.  These are generally high in alcohol so do take that into account when planning your happy hour.

I hope you have a Total Wine nearby, or a really good specialty grocery store. :)

Here's to lots of happy milk producing malt-induced pumping sessions!

Cheers!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    I like Negro Modelo, Guinness, Shiner Bock in Texas, and Yeungling.  I'm a big fan of trying local beers, so just pick a porter or a stout from whatever is the closest local brewery.  Man, now I want a beer!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • imageTJ1979:
    I like Negro Modelo, Guinness, Shiner Bock in Texas, and Yeungling.nbsp; I'm a big fan of trying local beers, so just pick a porter or a stout from whatever is the closest local brewery.nbsp; Man, now I want a beer!

Mmmmmmm, I live in Texas. I didn't know if Shiner was dark enough. I love beer and it there's no better excuse to drink up!
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • I like Leinenkugel. I don't know if it would be something considered for milk production, but I have enough extra the next day to do a pump and put some in the freezer. I also second Founders.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • sefferjsefferj member
    I too definitely notice an increase in supply after a night that I enjoy a good beer. My brother owns a brewery out here in so cal so his beer is my favorite, but not sold in stores yet ;) I really enjoy the hoppy beers and just bought the Sam Adams hopology collection at Costco so I've got a good selection there. If you like hoppy, my favorite is the Sam Adams latitude 48 IPA or Stone Ruination (another so cal brewery so not sure if you can get it). Happy pumping! :)
  • Am I the only one who's husband freaks out if I have a drink? :(

I guess I don't have an excuse - as my suppy is fine, but I'd like to be able to have a relaxing glass of wine (or beer) & not dump what I pump.

• imagebohmannr:

Am I the only one who's husband freaks out if I have a drink? :(

I guess I don't have an excuse - as my suppy is fine, but I'd like to be able to have a relaxing glass of wine (or beer) & not dump what I pump.

No I have the opposite problem - a husband who says DRINK UP - maybe she'll sleep!

That said - I think after I put her down (if I can stay up this long... ) I"ll drink a beer - she normally gives me a min of 4 hours - if not 6 and it if might help my production.... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • blush64blush64 member
    imagelisac1017:

Ooohhhh....this is my favorite topic on here ever (and I've been active on this board for 16+ months....LOL).  People will tell you beer doesn't affect lactation but I believe differently.  Even my OB said to drink malty beer to help with milk production. 

Just so you know the alcohol in the beer is not good for milk production. Other ingredients are. You may find it helpful to drink a beer due to those other ingredients and your supply might improve. There are also ways to do it without alcohol. I am all for women doing what they need (or want) to do to improve their supply. If this is your chosen method, enjoy.

I don't think women have to give up drinking while breastfeeding. I just think there's more to know than drink beer to get a good supply. 

EDIT  

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

Mentions a bit about it. I couldn't find a better link right now. 

• I use Sam Smith Oatmeal stout and love it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Young's Double Chocolate Stout... yummmm.  I am currently pregnant with our first, so can't say what it does for milk production, but I could sure go for one now, even if it's 10:45 in the morning.  My husband is a home-brewer, so maybe he will have to make a low alcohol dark beer and call it "Mother's Milk".  
  • Avery Out of Bounds Stout & New World Porter, Dogfish Head Chicory Stout and Indian Brown Ale, Troegs Javahead and Dead Reckoning, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, any of the Great Divide Yetis, Duck Rabbit Milk Stout ... I could go on and on...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"