May 2013 Moms

Advice needed

I'm second time mom due a week from today. My dd came at 38 even and had pushed for 4 hours due to her head slightly turned ended up with forceps. She weighed 6lb12oz. Well almost 9 years later here I am with 2 and baby girl is measuring really big. I had growth scan Tuesday and she measured 9lbs3oz with a / variance of a pound. My dr was very confident in the scan plus did another ultrasound today to confirm sizing. I don't have gd but my blood pressure has been elevated since 28 weeks. And there have been traces of protein in urine but passed all labs to rule out pre e. I expressed wanting to be induced and she explained that due to size they would prefer a c due to risk of brachial praxis injury. Has anyone been in similar situation and have any advice? She has me coming back Monday my 1 year wedding anniversary and will schedule induction or c for Tuesday if I don't go on my own before that. She explained there is less risk if I go into labor on my own over inducing. I'm just very torn on the situation. I want baby girl to be ok but really wanted to avoid the c section.

Re: Advice needed

• From what I've researched, inducing for "big baby" isn't recommended.  I've read it does not prevent complications.  If it were me, I think I would just go with a c/s if you really don't feel confident going into labor on your own.  
  • Those growth scans should be taken with a very big grain of salt. And 9 lbs 3 ozs is just not a huge baby. I'd just let your body go into labor naturally and odds are very good you'll be able to deliver vaginally.
    Baby #3 on the way!
  • Loading the player...
  • I just delivered a 9 lb 5 oz baby vaginally. It was my third child, but the labor and delivery were fine, no major issues due to his size. Prior kids were 7'11oz and 6' 11 oz.
  • i haven't gotten a growth ultrasound done, but at my last one at 37 weeks, the ultrasound tech said she was gonna be close to 9lb 8oz, a pound more than my first who i ended up delivery via c section after 29 hours of labor but now, im waiting to go into labor to attempt a vbac, regardless of size. sure it does worry me, but having a birth that i want is more important and i believe my body can do it. its up to you.
  • I would trust the expert medical opinion of my OB versus the antecdotal advice of Internet strangers with no medical training. Yes, ultrasounds can be off with weight estimates by a factor of 20%. And women give birth vaginally to large babies all the time. But clearly your OB is worried for a reason so this needs to be a risk versus benefit discussion between you and your doctor
  • imageJCRSMD17:
    I would trust the expert medical opinion of my OB versus the antecdotal advice of Internet strangers with no medical training. Yes, ultrasounds can be off with weight estimates by a factor of 20%. And women give birth vaginally to large babies all the time. But clearly your OB is worried for a reason so this needs to be a risk versus benefit discussion between you and your doctor

This.  Best of luck! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hi- I'm not a trained Dr, so my advice is purely anecdotal, but I would follow your Dr.'s advice and here is why:

My younger sister was over 11  lbs when she was born. My mother had delivered 3 other large babies vaginally (10lbs, 9lbs, and almost 9lbs) and told the Dr she didnt want a c-section. While my mom was pushing my sister got stuck, went with out oxygen for over 6 minutes and received a brachial praxis injury in her right shoulder. She is healthy and happy now, but she still can't completely straighten her right arm. When she puts her arms above her head it is definitely noticeable. Her right one just won't straighten.

Anyway, I really want to avoid a c-section too, but I though you should know what your Dr. is worried about really could happen. Good luck with whatever you decide! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"