Toddlers: 24 Months+

Parenting Magazine article...SIDS related??

I don't know if any of you all subscribe to Parenting Magazine, but I was reading the current edition and a doctor was in there saying that if your baby starts rolling over before 6 months old that you are suppose to roll them back to their backs while sleeping/napping?!?!

I realize our LOs are 2+, but is this a new recommendation for babies now?

When DS was that age (he starting rolling over to his belly at 4 months) our pedi said as long as we put him on his back all the time and he rolled over on his own, their was nothing we could do. This article made it sound like you should just stay up all night long and keep turning your baby over every time they roll. This doctor is a SIDS expert as well! This seems a bit excessive to me...I mean I don't take SIDS lightly at all and did/will do anything in my power to prevent it, but how will anybody sleep at all if this is true?

This kind of freaks me out for whenever I decided to have #2...thoughts??

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

Re: Parenting Magazine article...SIDS related??

• Wow that sounds interesting. I haven't read the article but am going to now and am definitely interested in what others have to say.

DD was rolling over and sleeping on her belly starting around 3 months. For the first night or two, I tried to roll her back but she would just roll back to her belly. To this day, she still sleeps on her belly.

With #2 on the way, I really want to read what others have to say about this. 

July 2015 Jan Siggy Challenge: Snow Fails/Funnies

BFP #5 11/15/14, Team Green EDD 7/22/15

BFP #4 4/30/13, baby girl born med-free Jan. 2014

BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)

BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born med-free June 2011

BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10

"Life is like a camera, just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, just take another shot."

• tracy41tracy41 member
    I'll have to read the article to see if it changes my mind but I have no plans to play the baby flipping game once LO starts rolling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetracy41:
    I'll have to read the article to see if it changes my mind but I have no plans to play the baby flipping game once LO starts rolling.

Ditto. I am all for doing anything that prevents SIDS but this just seems crazy to me. DS1 was rolling both ways by 4 months and I can't imagine basically staring at him all night to see if he rolled onto his belly. I always set him on his back but once he could roll to his belly, he preferred sleeping that way. 

• I read the same thing and thought it was strange too. My dr said once they roll over on their own, there's really nothing you can do... Yes, it did make it seem like you need to stare at your child all night long.. Which I might have done back then!! I was always nervous of him not breathing. I lost a lot of sleep during that time, but at least I knew the dr said the rolling was ok...
  • wedseptwedsept member
    My Dr. said they have to be able to roll over both sides.  Until they can roll over back and forth, you need to watch them.
  • I have not heard that at all for my DD2, and I would NOT risk waking her flipping her over. I have always been told, up to our last appt, that once they can roll, they are safe to sleep on their stomachs if they end up there. She would be mad, I would never sleep, and the world would very likely end.

It's one of those things just seems like an extreme helicopter mom decided to splurt out one day.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • While perhaps it's ideal to do this, I can't fathom how this is logistically possible. I mean, I suppose if you happen to go in and check on LO you could flip her, but parents need to sleep too.

I haven't read the article, but stuff like this kind of annoys me. I feel like it just makes parents more nervous and feel like they are to blame for SIDS because they apparently shouldn't ever sleep?  This just isn't a realistic option.

imageimage
  • That to me doesn't seem logical. Reese was rolling back and forth by 3 months, and if I played that game she wouldn't sleep at all.  Or I for that matter.  
    My daughter is my hero.
  • imagetracy41:

Yeah, same here.  I don't know, it just doesn't seem....natural to do that.  Maybe that's not the right word.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Um, no.  When baby is asleep, Mama is asleep!  Granted mine sleeps 1/2 in from me (I'm sure the SIDS expert loves that), but still...he can roll and I do nothing to stop it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't know. I guess I kind of assumed that if he could roll over, he could roll back. Maybe I was wrong.

My kid first rolled stomach to back at 5 weeks and was doing it consistently at 10 weeks. He was rolling back to stomach at 3 months. Luckily, he was still sleeping in the RnP and we didn't transition to the crib until 7 months. By then, he was crawling and pulling up, so I absolutely didn't worry about him sleeping on his stomach (his preference). But part of the appeal of the RnP was definitely that he couldn't go anywhere and I slept more soundly.

If we have another child, we'll probably have him sleep next to us for the first 6 months - a year so it's neither here nor there. But in the event that the baby prefers it's crib, I highly doubt I'll stay awake all night making sure it stays on it's back.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son was a very late roller, didn't roll until close to 9 months.  I'm hoping this 2nd baby is the same way so I don't have to worry about this.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsWindyCity:

imagetracy41:

Ditto. I am all for doing anything that prevents SIDS but this just seems crazy to me. DS1 was rolling both ways by 4 months and I can't imagine basically staring at him all night to see if he rolled onto his belly. I always set him on his back but once he could roll to his belly, he preferred sleeping that way. 

Seriously.

I never subscribed to Parents but it shows up at my house every month. I used to try to flip through it but now it goes straight to my recycling bin. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I literally can't even imagine flipping my son back over...I never would have slept. 
  • I read it and thought it was quite odd too. I have a 6mo that has been rolling over for some time now. We put him to bed on his side and he always ends up rolling over onto his belly, if not right away then within a few hours. Sometimes he even sleeps with his arms under his head so that his forehead rests on his hands/wrists and his face is straight down although raised up a bit. There is no way I can possibly keep him from doing all of this, otherwise I'd NEVER sleep.

I really don't worry much about it at this point, DS2 has great head strength and control so it's not something that I think much about. I'm sure however that there are babies out there that don't have the strength and probably do need to be monitored, it all depends on the kid. Talk about scaring the crap out of new parents though! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • The article also said no loveys for the first 12 months. That wasn't very realistic either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"