February 2013 Moms

taking a poll

My LO will be 4 months in a week and a half. I'm still so very undecided about starting solids. I have researched the heck out of this topic, learned about risks and benefits, talked w/ DS pedi, and discussed at length with DH. LO seems ready and I'm thinking of giving it a whirl. I'm just wandering what all you other moms have decided. So I'm taking a poll.....please tell me at how many months you will be starting solids at? TIA!
ETA 2 peds and our neighbor who is a pediatric nurse for 20 years all say 4 months is fine. That is enough for DH but I highly value your opinions!!

Re: taking a poll

• I haven't really decided, yet. I am going to ask the doc at our 4 month appt. He has a 3 yr old and had a baby a month after we did. So, I'm also going to ask what he and his wife are doing. Might be personal, but I also asked him who his wife's ob-gyn was, and I went with who they had. Plus I want to find out about trying something other than rice cereal. I am really not against it, but if she can do another food pureed and get some vitamins out of it, then I'd like that better. Also, I am ashamed to admit this, but I have no idea what baby led weening is...anyone want to briefly explain that?
    SK
  • 6+ months.  LO1 was 6months for cereal and 7 for fruit/veggie.  I'll probably skip cereal and start food at 7 mo.  Maybe partial BLW and partial purees.  I go back to work at 6 mo though and if he won't take a bottle then we might do solids at 6 mo.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We are starting cereal at 6 months, but ny best friend just started her LO at 4
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• between 11-12

• alakealake member

Eryn we started at six months.  We have now switched her to table food at seven months, she did  a puree strike.  I had planned on doing BLW with her, but chickened out at the last minute

Mallorie we are doing BLW with.

• jbatchjbatch member
    I plan on doing 4 months..

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• After the NY Times article a few weeks back I've decided to stick with 6 months.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/health/many-babies-fed-solid-food-too-soon-cdc-finds.html?_r=0

• We aren't going to start until six months.
    Eta at the earliest
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • The jury is still out on how long we will wait but it will be at least 6 months before we allow her to try solids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're waiting at least six months.  At that point, whenever she starts showing interest, we'll start her on solids. I honestly wouldn't hate it if it was even longer after that, because we cloth diaper, and that water-soluble breast milk poop is just so darn convenient!! Wink

• I have no clue! Ppl keep telling me I should put cereal in with her bottles soon. I think I'm just going to wait until I feel she's ready. Hopefully I'll just know when the time is right!

• VespahVespah member
    We will be starting at 6 months and doing 'Baby Led Weaning' approach to feeding. It worked great for DD, she is a fantastic eater now and. People can't believe how much she eats of pretty much anything.
    Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• We are planning on starting between 8-12 months and will skip the cereals all together. 
  • Minimum 6 months here.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Somewhere around 9 to 12 months. BLW skipping cereal.
  • We won't be starting until around 6 months. DD has shown no signs of wanting solids yet. She still tongue thrusts sometimes when we put teething rings in her mouth. I don't think she's close to being ready yet.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• I'll try it starting at 4 with cereal. Last time I tried and then gave up and out it off. He finally got it with avocado...no idea how many months.
    This time I'm secretly hoping it helps his reflux.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 6 months. We will also skip cereal, as DH and I don't eat grain. I think we will attempt BLW.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Whenever LO shows signs of readiness after 4 months. I started my last two at 4 months with rice cereal.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not until at least 6 months with baby food....the longer you can wait the better it is for the baby. My ped said they have linked diabetes with children who started food so early. I'm in no hurry anyhow. Good luck!
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • My ped said if either my husband or I have asthma or allergies wait until 6 months as it lessens the chance that LO will contract them
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • My pedi is very insistent on 4 months, so we tried that with DD1 (adjusted by 6 weeks for her prematurity), and it did not go well. I ended up taking a break for a month and then trying again closer to 6 months and it went better. In the meantime, when my pedi asked, I lied and said we were feeding her solids because that was a fight I didn't want to fight.

With DD2, I'm thinking we might try BLW, but we'll see. I'm not in a hurry with the solids, so I'm just going to try to wait for her signals. Honestly, I can't imagine starting solids in 2-3 weeks, which is when she would be 4 months old. She's not even close to being ready enough.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Well, you should start solids when LO is ready for them. So, follow baby's cues of readiness for solids. we started at 6 months but my LO wasn't really interested in solids. Now I use this website https://goodmomming.com to get inspired with foods for my precious.

• Ebee27Ebee27 member
    9-12 mo for us preferably, definitely no earlier than 6, but we're doing BLW so it really will be up to DS. For the mama who asked about baby led weaning, here's a link: https://www.babyledweaning.com/

Archer Liam - 2/6/13
    Freya Lillian - 11/15/15
  • I think we will follow La Leche League's recommendation to wait until baby shows signs of being ready.  I guess that's a better marker than a date since babies develop at different rates.  We've also decided to skip rice cereal.

https://www.llli.org/faq/solids.html

• imagemarshmallows:
    I'll try it starting at 4 with cereal. Last time I tried and then gave up and out it off. He finally got it with avocado...no idea how many months. This time I'm secretly hoping it helps his reflux.
    This!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"