Baby Showers

worlds worst baby shower experience

I was thinking about this today and thought I would share.

Several years ago, my 16 year old cousin became pregnant. She lived at home and I'm fairly certain she got pregnant because all of her friends did at the same time...She is spoiled and very accustomed to getting everything she wants. She's pretty ghetto too. My aunt and uncle were shocked... disappointed... and then thrilled, as they had always wanted a big family but were unable to have one. They don't help the situation. Her Baby Daddy is an ex-con who has several girlfriends and at least 3 other babies at this point. She is one of these "i don't think its fair to ask him to pay child support when my parents can pay to raise the baby."

So we get invited to the shower.

I know in the back of my mind, she is going to return all of the gifts, so I opt to go for a very pretty moses basket of baby things: diapers, blankets, toiletries... all wrapped up with tags cut off. I did this because i am aware my aunt will have to buy the baby all of these things as my cousin will return them  for cash. Other family members think I am being a little snarky, but it is a lovely gift. 

So shower happened... Both parents were there, but BD spent entire time outside in his car until gifts were opened. He came in for those and then started hauling them out to the cars to pack up... No 'thank yous' or recognition of any sort. 

Fast forward to 3 days after the shower. I get a call from my cousin. She has run out of gas and has no money for fuel and is stuck at Buybuybaby with baby daddy. She left her house, 30 miles away with no gas or money. I asked her why she left without having any money and she said she counted on baby store giving her cash for the gifts she returned. She and BD had planned on going to movies and taking some friends out that evening and now she was stuck without even gas money.  

I gave her 5$ and sent a whole lot of 'i told you so's ' to my family who thought i was being snarkey.  

Re: worlds worst baby shower experience

• just.. wow. 
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagerpalen29:
    just.. wow. 
     This!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Meery82Meery82 member

imageLaurendag:
    I'm sorry but IMO someone like that shouldn't be allowed to have a baby. Good for you for cutting all the tags off. I don't think it's snarky at all.

this. Too bad parenting is a right, not a privilege. Many people like this don't deserve it. 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Aw Fluck!  Stories like this make me worry about the future of humanity.  Hope your little cousin grows some sense and responsibility as she matures and becomes a mom.

• If she'd have called me, I'd have said "Sorry 'boutcha", and gone on about my day. Mommy and Daddy made her that way, Mommy and Daddy can get her out of jams.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I would probably have left her at the store. That sort of behavior makes me cringe for humanity's future.
  • I would have left her at the store. Natural consequences for dumb decisions.

Since this story is now several years old, how is she doing now?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know this is neither here nor there, but why / how does a 16 YO girl even KNOW and ex-con?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• bosoxybosoxy member

imagemrsmcdonald:
    I would have left her at the store. Natural consequences for dumb decisions. Since this story is now several years old, how is she doing now?

I'm curious too!

I would have left her at the store.  Let Mommy and Daddy help out their little princess. 

• It makes me sad that the most irresponsible people can get pregnant, and the most responsible, together people have a hard time with fertility and adopting. I know life's not fair, but ugh!!!
  • Wow that is so terrible someone's outta get some sense into her.. I also have a cousin that got pregnant at 14 or 15 and I actually didn't even go to the shower or anything, my cousin was actually raised by her grandma which is my aunt and now my aunt is stuck raising her great grand child too now it's actually pretty sad, breaks my heart how some people don't have any common sense or respect, especially for gifts that were bought for this baby not for them to go have a good time with, reality check!
  • vadamsvvadamsv member
    That's what I call "Trash". Good luck to that family, jesus.
  • She now lives at home with her parents and just miscarried baby #2. Baby Daddy lives with them some of the time. I never really know, she catches him cheating on her and 'its over for real' then i hear a few months later he is back living with them. This cycle goes on at least 3 times a year.  Its just a sad situation, she dropped out of HS at 16, she hasn't held a job for more than 3 weeks and pretty much just lays around watching television all day. Baby is almost 3 and grandparents pay for everything My aunt and uncle won't kick daughter or baby daddy out bc they are scared of losing him. BD still does not pay child support. Every time he gets caught cheating on her she threatens him with a child-support lawsuit, and he then decides to come back to her. Its awesome. 

• I probably wouldn't have gotten a gift and handed my aunt and uncle $20 towards diapers if that was my cousin....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • imageMeery82:

imageLaurendag:
    I'm sorry but IMO someone like that shouldn't be allowed to have a baby. Good for you for cutting all the tags off. I don't think it's snarky at all.

this. Too bad parenting is a right, not a privilege. Many people like this don't deserve it. 

Both of these!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"