Stay at Home Moms

S/o dressing for your body type

Now that it's almost summer, I'm having my internal debate that I have every year. What's the cutoff for being able to go sleeveless? I'm about 30 lbs overweight, size 14, and would love to wear sleeveless things, but I feel super insecure about it.

Thoughts? Tell the truth, I can handle it.

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
Due 12/29/2012

Re: S/o dressing for your body type

• Honestly, sleeveless doesn't bother me for any size woman. It's the belly showing coupled with way too short shorts, all in a size way too small that makes me side eye.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageMrs.Greg:
    Honestly, sleeveless doesn't bother me for any size woman. It's the belly showing coupled with way too short shorts, all in a size way too small that makes me side eye.

this. I also think the aforementioned look is pretty unflattering on most body types. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKC_13:

imageMrs.Greg:
    Honestly, sleeveless doesn't bother me for any size woman. It's the belly showing coupled with way too short shorts, all in a size way too small that makes me side eye.

this. I also think the aforementioned look is pretty unflattering on most body types. 

It IS unflattering and it's amazing to me how many overweight women sport the look and I rarely see average or skinny women showing their tummies in public. Very strange.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageletranger:
    I want to make It clear you should by the RIGHT size. But who cares what others say about what you wear.

Oh, I definitely buy the right size. I wish I could not care what other people think. Maybe a spray tan would help, lol.

Due 12/29/2012
  • DochasDochas member

imageHollylb3:
    imageletranger:
    I want to make It clear you should by the RIGHT size. But who cares what others say about what you wear.
    Oh, I definitely buy the right size. I wish I could not care what other people think. Maybe a spray tan would help, lol.

I know the Jergens self tanner makes me feel a little better.  And I think you are fine going sleeveless!

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCnAmom:
    You absolutely can wear sleeveless. As long as you're wearing the right sizes and everything is appropriately covered, I wouldn't think twice about itn

Exactly this.

I am overweight and still wear sleeveless shirts in the summer. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• I am 4-5 sizes bigger than you, clothing wise, and I still wear sleeveless.  There are parts of my body WAY more offensive than my arms.  If someone wants to critique me on my upper arm buldge, they were probably a jack@ss in the first place.  I make certain my stomach/butt is covered at all costs, and that my thighs are fully covered , but the rest of me ... eh ... don't look if you don't like it.  I do tend to gravitate to t-shirts, but I am attempting to not have a farmer's tan this summer, so I've been wearing plenty of tanktops outside. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good to know. Thanks, gals. Off to break out the tank tops.

Due 12/29/2012
  • imageletranger:

I agree with this. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 2-Step2-Step member

imageletranger:

Totally agree with this. I think what looks bad is when someone tries to fit into something that is too small and is pulling and tight under the arms or hiking up too short. I think people of nearly any size can wear nearly any type of clothing if they buy the proper fit and size.  

• I don't like my arms, but it's 100 here regularly so sleeveless it is.
  • lisamoelisamoe member

I say go sleeveless!  Who the heck cares what people think?

The only time I side-eye people for dressing in something they shouldn't are:

bikinis, mini skirts, too tight pants, belly shirts and skin tight shirts.  I've never looked twice at someone of any size wearing sleeveless.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageJellyBellyStar:

I think ranger was saying if you feel confident then there is no need to focus on whether something in general fits for your body type.

In your case, if you feel "super insecure" then no I wouldn't wear it but only because YOU feel insecure not because anyone else should matter.

Only time i'd judge someone for going sleeveless is in snowy weather and I'd think wth but that's it.

Agreed.

I don't know why anyone is offended by the way anyone else dresses.  Unless maybe someone is walking around totally inappropriate.  Like, with lingerie on or something.  That would be a little offensive to see in public.

If you're comfortable in it, wear it.  There is no cut off.  

Women are so weird.  Men would never be like, so... what's the cut off for cargo shorts?  Is my butt too big?

Why we do this to one another, I'll never understand.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagesbevmc09:
    imageJellyBellyStar:

I think ranger was saying if you feel confident then there is no need to focus on whether something in general fits for your body type.

In your case, if you feel "super insecure" then no I wouldn't wear it but only because YOU feel insecure not because anyone else should matter.

Only time i'd judge someone for going sleeveless is in snowy weather and I'd think wth but that's it.

Agreed.

I don't know why anyone is offended by the way anyone else dresses.  Unless maybe someone is walking around totally inappropriate.  Like, with lingerie on or something.  That would be a little offensive to see in public.

If you're comfortable in it, wear it.  There is no cut off.  

Women are so weird.  Men would never be like, so... what's the cut off for cargo shorts?  Is my butt too big?

Why we do this to one another, I'll never understand.   

I wish I knew. It'd probably be best if I don't have a daughter so I don't inadvertently teach her to be insecure

Due 12/29/2012
  • imageHollylb3:
    It'd probably be best if I don't have a daughter so I don't inadvertently teach her to be insecure

I think about this all the time :(  I hope that me being super contentious about it will prevent my lending to the negativity, but I'm already worried about what society will tell DD about her image.  It's sad.

Also, I do feel you on this topic.  I'm all about "eff society and their stupid ideals", yet I was just talking to a friend of mine at the park yesterday about how I won't wear shorts because I feel like my legs are too short and fat to pull them off.  ::hangs head in shame::  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagesbevmc09:

imageHollylb3:
    It'd probably be best if I don't have a daughter so I don't inadvertently teach her to be insecure

I think about this all the time :(  I hope that me being super contentious about it will prevent my lending to the negativity, but I'm already worried about what society will tell DD about her image.  It's sad.

Also, I do feel you on this topic.  I'm all about "eff society and their stupid ideals", yet I was just talking to a friend of mine at the park yesterday about how I won't wear shorts because I feel like my legs are too short and fat to pull them off.  ::hangs head in shame::  

That's me exactly. I like to pretend I'm really confident and don't care, because after all, the average American woman is a size 14 [not that it makes it healthy], but still. I'm just as susceptible to the stupid media as the young girls evidently.

Due 12/29/2012
  • I'm super insecure about going sleeveless and I always wear a cardigan or just a shirt with sleeves.  Yet my mom who's overweight wears sleeveless shirts and I see women all the time who are overweight in them and I never think anything of it.  I don't know why I won't just do it.  I think it's just because I've always been very modest and just feel odd when I don't have the sleeves.
    Thunder Logo Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm looking at your siggy pic and honestly, why are you even questioning whether you can pull off sleeveless? Of course you can!!

I think pretty much everyone can pull off sleeveless as long as they buy the right size and wear appropriate undergarmets. I'll admit I'm guilty of not doing the latter and looking back at pics they are b-a-d.

• imagenewtothis:
    I'm looking at your siggy pic and honestly, why are you even questioning whether you can pull off sleeveless? Of course you can!! I think pretty much everyone can pull off sleeveless as long as they buy the right size and wear appropriate undergarmets. I'll admit I'm guilty of not doing the latter and looking back at pics they are bad.

Aww, thanks. Although any muscle tone I had flew out the window post partum. Not sure what happened there. Now if I could just start all those arm workouts from pinterest I have pinned...

Due 12/29/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"