Working Moms

Do you and your boss like each other?

I've been working for my boss for 11 years. Along the way, I've received several promotions, and he is now senior management for a large company. He has been a great boss - supportive of me in the workplace, seemed genuinely happy for me when I told him about my pregnancies (he has 5 kids), allows me (and others) to have flexible schedules because we are expected to be available a lot off hours. Just before maternity leave, he gave me a big raise, which I definitely earned. 

But I've finally realized that he doesn't like me. He respects me, thinks I'm smart, knows I'm valuable to the organization... But he doesn't like me. 6 of his 7 direct reports are women.  Only 2 of us have kids, and he definitely shows his preference for the people that don't have kids.   I went in for a meeting with him yesterday, during my maternity leave.  I hadn't seen him for over 3 months because I had to work from home for a month before I had DD. He literally didn't even say hello to me.  There are lots of other slights that I've always written off as part of his quirky personality, but seeing him interact with the childless folks, I know now it's me...

I don't have a strong drive to get another promotion, but I plan to keep working as hard as I ever have. But I'm starting to wonder if it's sustainable for me to work for someone who clearly dislikes me personally, but respects me professionally. I like everyone on my staff, so I don't really have this issue. 

Sorry for the book... Any thoughts?? 

Re: Do you and your boss like each other?

• Netty_3Netty_3 member

I've had a boss that didn't like me for whatever reason...and chose that reason enough to try and ruin my life.  I think as long as you have respect and professional courtesy that 's a huge thing.

Although, if it's a deal breaker, look elsewhere.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • kaimom2kaimom2 member

I am in a very similar situation.  My boss has very little personality to begin with and is quite quirky.  We would never associate with one another outside of the office.  That being said, we have a successful working relationship.  I have learned that I don't need to like him, nor do I need him to like me.  Mutual respect is enough.  I really like my current position and how it allows me the flexibility I need for my family right now while at the same time giving me a few opportunities to boost my resume.  In the future when I am not a mom to a very young baby, this issue, along with little advancement opportunities, may serve as motivation to search for other employment, but for now it works.

I think it is really going to be up to you and how important it is for someone to like you personally. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Currently working on some diversity training for work. What you described reminded me of something called micro-inequities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microinequity

Doesn't really help you, but just found it interesting. 

• KisstyKissty member
    It sounds like he has treated you well.  If that's the case, I say stay.  I have had a bad boss before and it was horrible for 7 loooong years. 

imageimage 

• LoCarbLoCarb member
    I had a boss who hated me but also made my career miserable. If he acknowledges you are a good worker and respects you-stay. There is no guarantee everyone will like you in life.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My current boss really, really likes me.  We would totally be friends if it weren't for the fact he's my boss. 

My previous boss was a bit of a stiff with no personality.  He definitely respected and trusted me, but our personalities didn't really click outside of a work relationship. 

• Yes I like my manager.  I have quit a job in the past because my relationship with my manager was unbearable.  It can definitely be a deal breaker IMO.
  • I have a new principal this year and we do not like each other.  I don't even really respect her because she has not supported her staff in many ways.  I'm not letting that get in the way of my job though.  Being as teacher, the politics in a school building are very different than they would be in another profession and it really helps if your principal likes you but, in reality, as long as you advocate for your students in a professional manner, a working relationship is all you can really ask for.

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• I would stay where you are...at least you get the professional respect.  I worked for a boss that I loved!  It was awesome, he respected me thought of me as one to really move up in the company.  Then he retired! :(  Sucked for me because I got put with the B***H of the company!  She is one of those types of people that live to make everyone around her misreable because her life is misreable and she is just so unhappy with her life so she wants everyone else to be.  Well she will not make my life unhappy, after I leave here I have a great life.  I really enjoy most of the people I work with.  I know eventually I will either find another job or change positions in this company and can tell her to F off!  There are days I wish I could do it sooner than later but my family is more important to me than her baby b***hy ways!
    Andi is on the move! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • kmh2201kmh2201 member
    I think respect and treating employees well goes a long way.  I feel very lucky to be in a situation where my boss respects me, goes to bat for me, and likes me as a person.  (I also respect her and like her as a person.)  At my last employer, my boss basically worked on setting me up to get fired after she found out I was PG with DS.  (Even told me in a performance review, when I was PG, that I needed to decide which was my priority - work or family.)  If it were me, I think I would stay for now, but be open to other opportunities.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • salt78salt78 member

imageferris0906:
    Yes I like my manager.  I have quit a job in the past because my relationship with my manager was unbearable.  It can definitely be a deal breaker IMO.

This exactly. My current boss and I are very close and I consider her to be almost like a family member. But I have left a job before because my boss was so horrible that I couldn't deal with him for another minute. He was very outwardly rude to me though and made no secret of the fact that he disliked me. Some outrageous number of people quit because of him. He eventually got demoted.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"