Babies: 0 - 3 Months

BF night feeds

hey ladies im having a hard time feeding LO during the night not because he wouldnt feed but because im so sleey. I find myself dosing of constantly while he is latched on feeding.I sit up and feed him most on the times but i do lay and let him feed to.He eats every 2 hrs or so so there really isnt much sleep im getting.Then around 3 he up and fussy well making noise and i find myself time watching till 5 only to have my alarm go of at 6 :( to get my son ready for school.How to do keep yourself from dosing of during those midnight to 6 am feeds.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BIG BROTHER IS 4 and BIG SISTER is 2 in NOVEMBER

Re: BF night feeds

• To be honest I still doze off time to time, he is 6 weeks old today.. What wakes me up sadly is his gulping gets louder when he is about to choke or if my hand slips a bit and my breast overwhelms him (they are huge =).. those two things keep me awake when that happens cause I feel so bad that it happens.

The times those don't happen I wake up by changing him first, even when I know he will go after the feeding. I also drink lots of water so I usually have to go to the bathroom after a while... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a hard time too. It has gotten better. I actually started playing candy crush or some other game on my phone to keep me occupied and awake.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • evertzevertz member
    imageSporatygirl26:
    I had a hard time too. It has gotten better. I actually started playing candy crush or some other game on my phone to keep me occupied and awake.
    This. I've actually found it's getting easier to stay awake while bf at night these days. Not sure why... I'm not really doing anything different but I am dosing off less.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I always sit up for MOTN feedings. I often doze off while DS is eating,, but it's a light sleep. The position keeps me from really falling into a deep sleep, so I wake a lot and easily. The one time that I did side-lying nursing, I passed out and woke up several hours later. Since we're not co sleepers and I'm nervous about SIDS, I don't do the side lying position for night feedings anymore. Sorry you're struggling with lack of sleep!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I nurse side lying in bed and fall back asleep after she latches on. I wake up again if she fusses. If I tried to stay up I wouldn't get any sleep.

ETA: We chose to bedshare.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • a13049a13049 member
    imageAngela814:
    I nurse side lying in bed and fall back asleep after she latches on. I wake up again if she fusses. If I tried to stay up I wouldn't get any sleep. ETA: We chose to bedshare.

This is what works for us. I usually wake up when dd is done and starts grunting during her after meal bowel movement

• im afraid of the SIDS with the side feeding as well.So i mostly sit up and feed
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BIG BROTHER IS 4 and BIG SISTER is 2 in NOVEMBER
  • I sit up in a rocking chair and watch TV while she eats
    Me: 30 | DH:34
    Married: 08/04/12
    DD: 6 years | Born: 03/28/13
    DS: 1 Year I Born 10/15/17

• JSS1002JSS1002 member
    I also doze off sometimes, but I have my iPhone during the feeds so I can facebook and text back in forth with my other nursing-mom friends (if they happen to be awake). 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageSporatygirl26:
    I had a hard time too. It has gotten better. I actually started playing candy crush or some other game on my phone to keep me occupied and awake.

This. I don't like the side laying because you are more likely to fall asleep. I think cosleeping works for some but you really have to do your research on how to do it properly. My husband and I are both deep sleepers and I'd be afraid we would roll over onto LO without realizing it.

Hang in there! It gets easier. DD is 8 weeks and sleeps a good 6-8 hours a night now.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I either play games on my phone or watch TV. Even then I still sometimes doze.
  • crusty1crusty1 member

I watched TV in the very early days. Now that DS is only getting up once (if at all) during the night, it is usually quick and I don't have any issues staying awake.

As your LO gets older and better at nursing, the feeding times will get shorter and you won't have to worry as much about falling asleep.

Sometimes though, I would just doze off in the chair with him in my arms and wake up a while later. Everything was fine in the end. It happens sometimes :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSporatygirl26:

I played games on my phone CONSTANTLY while BFing through the night.  I think it is the only thing that kept me sane.

• imageAngela814:

I nurse side lying in bed and fall back asleep after she latches on. I wake up again if she fusses. If I tried to stay up I wouldn't get any sleep.

We do not bedshare, but I will lie down with DS in my bed to nurse when I am especially tired.  Yes, you have to take safety precautions like making sure the pillows and blankets do not come near the baby, but mothers have strong instinct with their babies, and I don't think rolling on them is really a risk.  I even did this at the hospital and the nurses all supported it.

ETA: I don't know why my ticker won't update, but DS#2 is 9 days old. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageBeesMomma00:

imageSporatygirl26:

I played games on my phone CONSTANTLY while BFing through the night.  I think it is the only thing that kept me sane.

Yep, and watch TV. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemrs.mastro:
    imageAngela814:

I nurse side lying in bed and fall back asleep after she latches on. I wake up again if she fusses. If I tried to stay up I wouldn't get any sleep.

We do not bedshare, but I will lie down with DS in my bed to nurse when I am especially tired.  Yes, you have to take safety precautions like making sure the pillows and blankets do not come near the baby, but mothers have strong instinct with their babies, and I don't think rolling on them is really a risk.  I even did this at the hospital and the nurses all supported it.

unfortunately, this is not true in all cases.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagewatermellens:
    imagemrs.mastro:
    imageAngela814:

unfortunately, this is not true in all cases.

PP is correct...many a baby has been accidentally suffocated by mothers's instincts. I can't imagine your hospital condoned the practice. My hospital repeatedly told us no sleeping with baby while in the hospital. Not even dosing with baby on your chest during the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"