Cloth Diapering

Cloth in the Hospital?

Just lurking at this point. I think I am almost 7wks. Since this is my rainbow baby, my pgal brain won't let me get excited until I go to the Doc. Anyway, I read on Cloth in the hospital. Have any of you done this? How would you do this and would you recommend it? TIA 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Cloth in the Hospital?

• I'm using a small birthing center so I will bring cloth with me. And they typically don't keep you for very long maybe 12 to 23 hours. They follow up by house visit!

So I plan to take 5 ish diapers.

From reading others advice many people don't want to take the chance with losing cloth in the hospital. Plus if you have a longer stay you'd need to take lots of cloth and likely have to do laundry as soon as you get home.

It definitely is possible but if the diapers are free at the hospital why not use them?
  • I did not. I had my 3rd csection, so I was in the hospital for 3 days/3 nights. I didn't want to have to worry about washing right away when I got home. Plus the hospital provided disposables. It was easier just to use them.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you. I was just playing around with it. I might just us the hospital sposies, even when I get home. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • We didn't. If I have the next baby in a hospital I won't do it then either. It just seems like too much of a hassle and they provide disposables anyway. I didn't want to come home to an extra load of laundry. If I have the next one in a birth center I might do it. If I have the next baby at home I will just do cloth from the start.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageYellowLily2013:
    I'm using a small birthing center so I will bring cloth with me. And they typically don't keep you for very long maybe 12 to 23 hours. They follow up by house visit! So I plan to take 5 ish diapers. From reading others advice many people don't want to take the chance with losing cloth in the hospital. Plus if you have a longer stay you'd need to take lots of cloth and likely have to do laundry as soon as you get home. It definitely is possible but if the diapers are free at the hospital why not use them?

i agree with what she is saying about the risk of losing them.  I didn't go to a birth center I was at my hospital and ended up needing a c section thus extending my stay to nearly a week.  I would just go with using the hospital supplied disposables until you're ready to go home, then put the little one in cloth when you dress him up to go home.  A few days in disposables won't hurt anything .  Good luck! 

To my little one - may God hold you in his arms until we are able to hold you in ours.
  • We just did disposables in the hospital.  There's so much to bring and think about, I just didn't want anything extra.  Plus it probably wouldn't have worked with my second anyway because he was in the Special Care Nursery for two nights and I certainly wouldn't have expected the nurses to cloth diaper :)
  • I did cloth in the hospital for both my girls. I was totally prepared to use my own with DD#2, but they had cloth available for me the second time as well. yay! (I just used my own covers and snappis the second time...and surgical tape the first time offered by them). But then, throwing stuff in the washer has never been a big deal to me.

I love that they've never worn disposables...but that's my personal thing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's a personal choice. My number 1 priority was learning how to breastfeed while in the hospital, so I didn't want to bother with cloth. We started cloth diapering as soon as we got home and used the hospital sposies prior to that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"