Multiples
Options

One up both up?

My boys are 3 months old and my pedi says we should still be getting both up at night. This hasn't been a problem since both always seemed hungry around the same time but lately one baby has been getting up hungry while the other we have to constantly wake up. Last night I decided to give it a shot and not wake the sleeping baby when the other was up for food. One woke at 1:30 and then 6:30 and the other slept through until 7am! We haven't had a baby sttn yet so I'm excited. Should I keep doing this or am I setting myself up for being up constantly if this was a fluke? When did you stop doing one up both up?

Re: One up both up?

• Options
    As long as your babies aren't haven't weight gaining issues, I say let them sleep. At about 3 months we stopped waking one of our boys for all of his brother's MOTN feedings.  Yet, be aware some nights this could backfire and you could be up at different times for different babies.  Month 4 was a lot of this for us, but by month 5 they got back on track and were only waking once a night.  By 5.5 months they finally both STTN.  It just magically happened with both of them and we haven't looked back since.  Good luck!
    D & R were born at 37w5d.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    D&HMomD&HMom member

my dd was like clockwork, every 3 hours she knew she was eligible for something. As they got older, I would feed her when she woke and dream feed DS. I wouldn't wake him or change him (unless I smelled something).  I always believed that he would have slept through but didn't want to take the chance that I would be woken up 45 min later.  It also helped that they were very quick feeds. Both would down a bottle in 5 minutes and would go right back to sleep so it wasn't a big deal to do both.

I stopped feeding them during the night when they were about 8 months (I think)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageprojectbaby2012:
    As long as your babies aren't haven't weight gaining issues, I say let them sleep. At about 3 months we stopped waking one of our boys for all of his brother's MOTN feedings.  Yet, be aware some nights this could backfire and you could be up at different times for different babies.  Month 4 was a lot of this for us, but by month 5 they got back on track and were only waking once a night.  By 5.5 months they finally both STTN.  It just magically happened with both of them and we haven't looked back since.  Good luck!

This sounds a lot like our situation right now (at 4 1/2 mos). N wakes up far more frequently than L (and is the smaller baby) but sometimes, if I just feed N when he wakes up, then L is up an hour later....not a fun pattern. So now I feel like we're in no-man's-land and our nights are filled with "Feed or just soothe back to sleep?" "Get brother up too?" dilemmas. If they started magically sttn in a few weeks I would be more than happy though.:) OP, good luck with your situation....don't have great advice myself since I'm sorta going through the same thing, but at least know you aren't alone!!

• Options
    I woke them both then at exactly 4 months old they slept the night...hallelujah!
  • Options
    2moms2b2moms2b member

Maybe I am horrible but my ped said as they were both over their birth weight and gaining fine to let them go.  We have one (our big 16lb boy) that consistently goes down at 7:00pm and doesn't wake up until 6:30ish am so I don't wake him. If I do wake him, he won't eat and getting him back down is a nightmare so I did that once and never again.  Our little guy still wakes consistently around 3am. 

I say, unless there is a weight issue, to let them sleep.  I see no point in waking mine overnight as now my one that STTN has increased his ounces during the day to compensate for the lost bottle. 

M & M
    06/12 - BFP!!!!
    Beta #1 15dpo - 256
    Beta #2 18dpo - 1097
    6wk U/S on 07/02 ~ TWINS!!!
    EDD 02/21/13
    09/10/12 Found out it's two Boys!!!! Sam and Jake
    Jacob and Samuel born 1/29/13 at 36 weeks. photo F489900B-BB44-4C44-ACD1-ABB73509E3B2-9032-000005E7AE7EF53E.jpg Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I just asked a similar question! My pedi told me at their 4 month appt that he isn't a fan of one up both up because if one is ready to sttn you get them accustomed to that feeding they no longer need and they will wake out of habit. But I took his advice and was up last night at 1am, 2am, 4am, and 5am for feedings because the baby I did not wake ended up waking an hour later each time. Another time I tried this and she sttn. I have no idea what to do now. I guess I'm in for a few more long nights. Good luck :)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"