January 2013 Moms

Dogs and Babies/ Late intro

Hi everyone, I am a long time lurker so thought I would introduce myself. I am a ftm, Ds was born on January 8th natural birth, wasn't the plan, but only was in the hospital for four hours. Love reading the board, you are all so helpful!
I was wondering how your pets are doing with the baby? I have two golden retrievers 3 and 4 years old. They could care less about the baby, more interested in fighting for our attention, but do not bother with him at all. They are almost to the point where they ignore him, anyone else notice this? Also for those of you with two big dogs, have you ventured out with them and the baby alone? I'm thinking the best way to do this might be the ergo with a leash in each hand lol. Thanks for your help always! Samantha

Re: Dogs and Babies/ Late intro

• I have a black lab and a silver lab. They like to go sniff the baby and poke her when she is baby talking to them. Other than this they don't really care about her. But my parnets had her over night the other day and they kept going around the house looking for her. It was really cute. I only take her on walks with the silver lab (my running partner) and she is in the stroller. The black lab is not the best on a leash, he is my husbands dog and he didn't think that was an important skill.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Welcome! 

We have a dalmatian and she could care less about the baby. She'll ocassionally sniff him but that's about it. My MIL's two big greyhounds as well. We didn't make a big deal about C so they didn't. It's way better this way. I walk Bella and push the stroller all the time. You might need a buddy since you have two dogs and as I remember goldies are puppies forever. I'd say train them well on a leash and you'll likely not have a problem if you're afraid of them pulling. Be the alpha dog :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for your responses! I'm glad to know other dogs are acting similarly. I'm sure once Los are on the move they will be more curious. As far as the leashes go they are trained both on and off the leash, it just becomes a handful with the three of them. The older golden is a therapy dog, well she was, not enough hours in the day for that anymore! My husband works from 6am until 8 pm most days so I feel bad for the dogs. They love being outside, and it is hard to give them the exercise they were accustomed to before the baby. Walking around our neighborhood doesn't do anything for them, they need to RUN. On the weekends we go to the parks, dog beach, etc, but I guess I just feel bad when I'm alone I can't dedicate enough attention to them! I can't even coordinate two dogs and a baby, I don't know how people manage more than one child!! Sorry for the rant! Now that ds is getting older/ more predictable and the sun in starting to shine more in NJ I hope it will be easier, and I won't feel like such a bad dog mommy! And Godbless you with a one year old boxer, and a baby!!! I bet that is fun lol.
  • Welcome!

My two dogs LOVE my son, but they keep their distance unless invited over... that's just proper dog manners. In 'dog society' it is very rude to bother a new mom and her pups so some stand-offishness is to be expected. My husky has always been great with teeny tiny (2lb) puppies so I knew he would be gentle and sweet with my little man. My German Shepherd is more jealous of our attention (HE used to be the baby), he'll push his nose right into whatever we're doing and then look at DS as an afterthought. I've seen him with toddlers though and he's great so I imagine once DS in mobile he'll be more onboard with this whole baby thing.

I have NOT ventured outside with my two AND the baby by myself. I have no pull harnesses for them which gives me enough control over them both to be able to walk them by myself (I've been pulled off my feet and dragged by them before when they say a stray cat run by), but I would have no free hand for baby if I needed it and the whole idea is just daunting to me. My German Shepherd is a good walker...he's gone through training all the way up to advanced, but my Husky dropped out of school when he got hit by a car and I haven't taken him back yet... and he's a REAL puller even with the no pull harness. 

ETA: I also feel like a bad dog mommy not being able to take the boys out for as many walks as we used to go on. Whenever DH and I are both home we get out to the dog park and let them RUN, but it's not very often these days with both of us working. I make a big point of giving them (and the cats) lots of love and affection so they don't feel displaced... ie greeting the dogs first when I get home from work (even though I want to run to DS) and making an effort to give the cats lap time.

• My dog basically thinks that DS is his baby sometimes. The first 48 hours DS was home he barked at him a little when DS made noise, but now our dog (a 3.5 year old beagle) is very protective of DS. He always monitors like a watch dog when anyone else other than DH or myself are holding him.

I too feel like I am a bad pup-mommy to him because we don't spend as much time together. I used to walk our dog almost every single day. Now in the last 4 months I think he has maybe gotten 4-5 walks. Grant you, now that it's getting nicer that will change a little bit. But it's such a project to get DS in the stroller and get our pup on a leash to even just go around the block. Plus it's even more taxing during the week when I have to feed DS, make dinner for DH and I, bathe and play with DS and get ready for the next day in just a few hours between getting home from work and then having to go to sleep.

I try to spend a few seconds loving on our pup when I come home before starting everything else. And when I bring DS's carseat into the house, I swear our pup is more excited to see and smell him than he is me. lol

BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • well welcome!!! and we have two dogs and they really leave LO alone now. at first they would sniff him alot and kinda go crazy when he would cry... no they could care less. i havent tried yet taking them all out together. thats still a scary thought!!!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"