Multiples

Grocery shopping

How in the world do you get it done? My local supermarket doesn't offer double carts, and even if they did, my girls are not even remotely interested in sitting for more than 2 minutes at a time. I would love to get the shopping done during the day instead of waiting for dh to get home, and while my bugs are in school. Any ideas ladies?

Eta: by bugs, I mean Bigs. Thanks autocorrect!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Grocery shopping

• Heavy drinking first? Oh wait, kidding.

I either push my double stroller and shop in the basket or pull a cart behind me pull the not handle side. Alternately I sometimes wear one baby and put the other in the cart.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ditto pushing the SBS and pulling the cart behind you.

I'm right handed and find it's easier to push the stroller with my left and walk behind the baby on the left, while using my right hand on the back-left corner of the cart to almost push the right side of the stroller with the back of the cart as well... hope that makes sense. Kind of like a tug boat.. ha ha.

I use my jogger-style at that age since they couldn't sit up very well in the double umbrella and it's easier to steer with one hand than my other strollers. It's still a quick trip, but when you have to get big or heavy stuff like 40lbs of dog food, it's a necessity.

I've also used 2 of the store's shopping arm baskets and hung them over the handles of the double umbrella if I'm getting small things and making a fast trip.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Loading the player...
  • Glad you asked! I was wondering the same thing, I have two year old to wrangle on top of it. Double stroller and one in the cart it is! Oh I can already here the comments and questions...I also am a big proponent of the heavy drinking, after all it is Wal-Mart,...maybe shots in the parking lot before we head in? :0)
  • jcathjcath member

I do it very rarely...but I wear one and have one in the infant seat (or now just strapped in the cart)  We do take the girls to Costco b/c they have double seats and big carts and I can entertain them with food samples.

I have also taken them in the double stroller and just have a hand basket but that doesn't work well for regular weekly shopping.

Do you have Amazon prime? You can get lots of non perishables on Amazon delivered to your door.  Amazon has saved my life since having twins 

• I go alone! In between I will go to Target or BJs with the twins because they have twin carts. When I head back to work I'm doing shop from home, the store shops for you and you pick up for $10 its worth it not to waste my time in the grocery store! All my friends say you save money too bc there's no impulse buying.
  • imagejcath:
    I do it very rarely...but I wear one and have one in the infant seat or now just strapped in the cart nbsp;We do take the girls to Costco b/c they have double seats and big carts and I can entertain them with food samples.I have also taken them in the double stroller and just have a hand basket but that doesn't work well for regular weekly shopping.Do you have Amazon prime? You can get lots of non perishables on Amazon delivered to your door. nbsp;Amazon has saved my life since having twinsnbsp;

Ditto the Amazon rec. It has made all the difference. Also, I investigated home delivery and pick up services in my area. I have to drive a bit further, but I do big grocery shopping online with Ha.rris Tee.ter. They will shop for me and bring it out to my car. It's 16 dollars per month and so worth it. When I do quick trips, I just use the space under the stroller or a basket. I may be the clumsiest person around and I'm not sure I have enough coordination to do a stroller and a cart!!
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• For big shopping trips I have a baby sitter watch the boys at home or do it when DH is home.  For getting a few things, I bring the stroller and a small basket or the reusable shopping bags.  I like the suggestion to drink first! :)  Also, I'm a huge Amazon.com fan as well.  Good luck.
    D & R were born at 37w5d.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My girls won't sit still either but they LOVE shopping! They will sit and watch everything for a long time. I started putting them both in the single carts when they were 5 months. I just put them so they are sideways. Their backs are to the sides of the cart, their legs just crisscross over each other's. I also put blankets behind their backs so its a little more comfortable. I did this before they were even sitting on their own and they did great. Now at 9 months, its starting to get more interesting.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• SWA80SWA80 member
    Lots of stores allow you to order online and just pick up. There may be one in your area that you are not aware of.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tell your local grocery store manager that you like to shop there but will be shopping at Target and BJs because they have double carts. They just might order them for you.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMuseumMaven:
    Tell your local grocery store manager that you like to shop there but will be shopping at Target and BJs because they have double carts. They just might order them for you.

Really?!?! I hadn't thought about that!

Thank you everyone! This has been super frustrating for me, and your suggestions are great!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I take them all, and they're usually pretty good. i push the double with the boys and pull the cart with Claire in the front and Molly hanging on the side or sitting in the basket. On the off chance Lucy is with us, too, sometimes she'll push a small cart if we just need a few things. 
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageBananaPancake:
    I take them all, and they're usually pretty good. i push the double with the boys and pull the cart with Claire in the front and Molly hanging on the side or sitting in the basket. On the off chance Lucy is with us, too, sometimes she'll push a small cart if we just need a few things.nbsp;

Pretty sure you get a medal or something for that. I can't even imagine taking the babies AND my older two at the same time. My oldest two have never been BFFs, and having to referree them, and steer the babies? Only if you promise I can buy 2 bottles of wine instead of one!!!

• My grocery store delivers so if I remember I do that.

The other thing I have found really helpful is to bring my reusable bags if I am not getting a ton of items and I just fill them up as I go. I find them much easier to carry than the baskets.

View Raw Image'>

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I push the stroller and pull the cart behind me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"