Breastfeeding

Extended BF Weekly Check In (5/15/13)

Happy Wednesday, Ladies!  Since Litzo27 is away at her conference this week, I will be the guest host for the check in.  :) 
Hope everyone has a great week! 

(For the purposes of this post nursing past one year is  considered extended. Lurkers welcome.)

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?

2. Where is the most public place you've ever nursed?

3. Does the thought of weaning bring relief, cause anxiety, or leave you somewhere in between?

4. What would you title this chapter in your breast-feeding journey?

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want Litzo to put into rotation - please post it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Extended BF Weekly Check In (5/15/13)

• 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?    16 months

2. Where is the most public place you've ever nursed?    In line to vote.  

3. Does the thought of weaning bring relief, cause anxiety, or leave you somewhere in between?       I'm definitely closer to relief than anxiety at this stage; I'm not going to push him but if he decided he was done, I would now be ok with that.  4 months ago, it would have been total anxiety. 

4.  What would you title this chapter in your breast-feeding journey?     I'd have to call it "Hand Claps, Boobie Smiles and Other Terms of Endearment."  

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want Litzo to put into rotation - please post it.  I am really trying to give up the pump...for real this time!  My only pump session is nearly 5pm, so I should be able to make it until I get home at 6:15.  One would think.  It is totally more mental than physical.  Also, DS has started clapping while he is nursing now.  It is so darn cute. (Hence the tile for this chapter).  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?  33 months

2. Where is the most public place you've ever nursed?  everywhere!  I do not think I can pick just one.

3. Does the thought of weaning bring relief, cause anxiety, or leave you somewhere in between?  I would say somewhere in between.  I know DS2 is not ready just yet and that's perfectly fine with me. 

4. What would you title this chapter in your breast-feeding journey? "My almost 3 year old is becoming a newborn again!"

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want Litzo to put into rotation - please post it. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? 12 months

2. Where is the most public place you've ever nursed? On the bluff in town during a busy farmers market. 

3. Does the thought of weaning bring relief, cause anxiety, or leave you somewhere in between? somewhere in between. I'm going to follow DS's lead through the summer.  If he is still nursing a ton when fall comes, especially still waking up at night to nurse, we will at least night wean or completely wean.

4. What would you title this chapter in your breast-feeding journey? My little snacker.  It seems like anytime DS nurses he's on for a minute will go get something come back and nurse for another minute and then go off and do something else.  Whenever I say all done he just looks at me with his questioning look, he's probably thinking why would you think I'm done I was just going to get that toy.

5. Anything else you want to share this week. We are expecting again in Jan.  I'm nervous to be nursing while pregnant but it's going well so far.  I went to a LLL meeting last night and the leader said she was nursing 3 babies at once (all different ages) at one point.  That blew my mind.
    Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. How old is your nursling LO(s)?

15 months

Hm...the zoo in an open field.  No one was really around but it was a public place? Airports, restaurants, beaches, pools. 

3. Does the thought of weaning bring relief, cause anxiety, or leave you somewhere in between?

Well I'm not ready to wean LO yet since she's only 15 mo old, but it does cause me a little bit of anxiety.  I don't want to wean yet :) 

"Boot Boot" would be my title because LO likes to pull my shirt down and ask to nurse by saying "boot boot"! I don't know but it's cute.  

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want Litzo to put into rotation - please post it.

I just wanted to share that I'll be going to Puerto Rico and it's so nice to not have to pack milk or sippy cups for the baby since she still BFs and doesn't take bottles anymore.   

• 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? 13 months!

2. Where is the most public place you've ever nursed? In the pew at church.

3. Does the thought of weaning bring relief, cause anxiety, or leave you somewhere in between? Somewhere in between. There are lots of things I love about our breastfeeding relationship, but there are a few things (biting, squirming/ wiggling, all-night feedings) that I won't miss.

4. What would you title this chapter in your breast-feeding journey? "I love Boobies!"  I never planned to breastfeed for this long.  I thought we would be lucky to make it to six months, but my son had other plans.  He loves to nurse and wants to nurse as soon as he sees me- morning, noon, or night; at home, at work, at daycare.  The child just loves boobs.

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want Litzo to put into rotation - please post it.  Question for moms who have been there before: I am planning a weekend trip with a girlfriend from college and we won't be bringing our children.  I have a huge freezer stash, so I am not worried about what my son will drink, but I'm unsure how much I will have to pump while I am gone.  I am down to only pumping once a day while at work, but I had hoped to drop that last session completely and retire the pump.  Will I have to wait until after this trip?

• 1. 24 months

2. I've nurse everywhere. I'm not even sure how to guess at "most public". If I've been there with DS in the last 2 years, we've probably nursed: coffee shops, restaurants, church, church suppers, doctor appointments, food courts, playgrounds, grocery stores, outdoor fairs...

3. I am honestly ready to wean. DS is not. It gets a bit tiring sometimes, but I can't quite bring myself to do it.

4. "The Never Ending Story"

5. I think I'm just getting a bit worn out - I have a lot of work stress, I'm third trimester pregnant, and he wants to nurse all.the.time. lately. Like 3 times this morning between getting up at 6 and me leaving at 7:15. 

• Just discovered this - how cool!

1) 16 months

2) Hm, at an airport ticketing counter while standing in line - I was at that counter for 6 hours and my daughter was hungry. I've also pumped in the backseat of a moving van with coworkers as we were on our way to a field visit. I used a nursing cover.

3) Somewhere in between. It's like a reset button when DD is cranky. As she starts to get into the temper-tantrum phase, I don't want to loose the reset powers. Yet, I sometimes feel annoyed when she wants to nurse, so sometimes I feel ready to let it go, but I'm not going to force her to wean. She's still just a baby.

4) Nursing light. I often forget that I'm a nursing mother now that I don't pump at work anymore, no longer get engorged, and we've had a few days when nursing just didn't happen. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • *steps out of lurking* 

15 months 

I've nursed DD pretty much everywhere we normally go.  An airplane might be the most public because it was the only time I didn't use a nursing cover. 

Somewhere in between.  I am currently nursing when she wakes up and before bed.  I tried to drop the morning nursing a month ago, and DD wasn't having it.  She just grabbed her Boppy, looked at me, and cried.  But I know when it happens, I'll miss that time with her.

Same Song, Different Verse.  We've been at it for 15 months now, 3 months past the goal I set for myself before DD was born. We are in a nice routine, and it looks like we'll be there for a while.

5.  I just wanted to add a thank you to all of the posters on this board.  I've lurked on here since DD was born, and even though I don't comment often, I've learned a lot from here.  

image   image   image

• 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? 21m

2. Where is the most public place you've ever nursed? The Zoo

3. Does the thought of weaning bring relief, cause anxiety, or leave you somewhere in between?  Somewhere in-between. I find nursing reassuring when LO is sick, or being a picky toddler. But sometimes it's just hard. And putting him back to sleep in the middle of the night is easy right now. Although I've heard a lot of moms say nightweaning led to LO STTN so I wonder sometimes if I'm encouraging the night waking habit.

4. What would you title this chapter in your breast-feeding journey? The silly years.

imageimage
  • 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? 19 months

2. Where is the most public place you've ever nursed? movie theater?  (At a mommy & me movie showing), Downtown Disney? (After a race)

3. Does the thought of weaning bring relief, cause anxiety, or leave you somewhere in between? Initially it brought relief, but now that we've started it's far more about the anxiety.

4. What would you title this chapter in your breast-feeding journey? Winding Down

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? 20 months

2. Where is the most public place you've ever nursed?  Everywhere...beach, mall, library, grocery shopping etc

3. Does the thought of weaning bring relief, cause anxiety, or leave you somewhere in between?  Well we are weaning now.  The idea of weaning used to cause me a lot of anxiety because it seemed like DD would never be ready.  When we got down to three times a day it was really nice.  Now that I am pregnant, and we are down to once a day...I don't know.  I have mixed feelings about it.  She is still really upset about not getting milk in the morning, and she is so excited for milk at her nap.  So I feel badly about wanting to wean.  I also feel so sick right now though.  It was a huge relief to stop spending an hour every morning with her on and off the boob while I had to get up to throw up. 

We are almost at the end

• Thanks for keeping this alive this week!

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? DD is 18 months

2. Where is the most public place you've ever nursed? I nursed DD on a park bench last year when there were quite a few people around.  I've also nursed her on 10 flights.

3. Does the thought of weaning bring relief, cause anxiety, or leave you somewhere in between? Somewhere in between.  I'm relieved to have my boobs go back down to normal size.  I'm anxious about how she's going to fall asleep without nursing.

4. What would you title this chapter in your breast-feeding journey? Casual and Easy Going

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want Litzo to put into rotation - please post it. I love these check-ins, it makes me feel like I'm not the only one still bf.  I would like to know how long others can go without bf, and if they still pump when away for more than 12 hours.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imageJenny952:

I would like to know how long others can go without bf, and if they still pump when away for more than 12 hours.

I BF when DD wakes up in the morning and before she goes to bed.  I don't pump if I miss DD's bedtime, which means I'm putting 24 hours between feeds.  It doesn't happen often, but it hasn't been a problem. 

image   image   image

• I'm one day late on this so I hope I can still get some questions for future weeks in the rotation or late people answering.
    1. 16 months
    2. I nurse everywhere in public. Two to mention that I thought were pretty brave were a nursing home's common room some people left when they saw me doing it even though I had a cover and a public pool in the town I teach in there were some of my previous and future students there which was a little weird for me but DS 7 months at the time was NOT willing to wait and i didn't want to trek all the way back to the car
    3. Anxiety
    4. Against all odds DS was in the NICU for a week and we struggled for six weeks so I am still so grateful it worked out
    5. When did everyone get AF back how many nursings were you down to? Anything I can do to get my fertility back? I night weaned then dropped two pumpings and still no AF. I'm down to nursing 4x day and pumping once. I heard I should decrease more and could get my fertility back but really would like to continue nursing and would sad to drop more and then still not get it back. I'm worried I'm one of those people who has to completely wean.
    Other question is about teeth digging in and pulling off with nipple still in mouth and biting. What does everyone do? How do you explain "be gentle" bc DS does not get it! Luckily this isn't all the time but even a little of this is too much!
    THANKS!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • litzo27litzo27 member

Hi Y'All! Or as they say in France, Bonjour (yep, that's where I was and sadly I had much too little free time to explore). Thanks Lisac for keeping us going!

imagelisac1017:

20 months

Public playground, planetarium, restaurant. 

Mostly sadness I guess. We are down to 2-3 times a day and I like that. No real anxiety since he is such a good eater otherwise but no relief either.

"Rare moments of stillness" 

So I was gone for 3 days and 3 nights. I risked it and brought a hand-pump. I pumped twice. Each time after 30 minutes of both pumping and hand-expressing I had measly 1.5 ounces. I wasn't at all engorged/uncomfortable. Even if baby is more efficient (let's say he gets 2-2.5 ounces per feed) this means that he gets 4-5 ounces of BM on workdays and 6-8 on weekends. So little :(

The good news is that he had no problem either being without me (on cows milk only) and no problem jumping at the chance to nurse once I was back. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • litzo27litzo27 member

imagebrideinsummer04:
    When did everyone get AF back how many nursings were you down to? Anything I can do to get my fertility back?

I'll ask next week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • litzo27litzo27 member
    imageJenny952:
    I would like to know how long others can go without bf, and if they still pump when away for more than 12 hours.

Like I wrote above I've gone 24 hours without pumping. Not on a regular basis but I've done it enough times in the past half a year. At least once a month I would say. I pump if it's more than 24 hours - once per 24 hour period for trips. But I'll add the question next week. 

• Thanks!
    imagelitzo27:

imagebrideinsummer04:
    When did everyone get AF back how many nursings were you down to? Anything I can do to get my fertility back?

I'll ask next week.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"