January 2013 Moms
Options

Temperature

Hi!

My son is 4 1/2 months old.  He still sleeps in a SwaddleMe Sleep Sack, but we are hoping to wean him off of that when my husband and I are on summer break here in a few days.

I am concerned about the temperature of our home, and my husband and I can't quite agree!  It's very warm here in Kansas City right now, and my husband likes to keep the house at about 78 degrees.  Everything I've read online says that the ideal temp for babies is around 75ish for summer months.  We have our son in a plain onesie, plus the SwaddleMe for bedtime.  We also have a fan going on in his room.  However, his room thermometer says it's about 79 degrees right now.  That seems pretty warm --  I don't want him to get overheated, and I have a (probably somewhat irrational) fear of SIDS.  We've tried a couple nights with him out of the SwaddleMe, but he wakes easily, and we'd rather try weaning when we are both done with school and sleep is not as important. :-)

What temperature do you all keep your homes at in warm months, and what do you dress your babies in to sleep? 

Thanks for your help! 

Psalm 139:14 -- "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."

Re: Temperature

• Options
    BLPL101BLPL101 member
    73-74 and she sleeps in a onesie and SwaddleMe. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The NICU docs said 70-72. We keep it at 73/74 because we have a fan in the room.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We keep the house between 72/73 at night, LO sleeps in a cotton sleeper and the miracle blanket. 

• Options
    That seems very hot to me.  We try to keep it light (like a cotton sleep sack over a light cotton shirt) and it's never that hot here.  If you find that you can't sleep with anything covering you because you're hot (like summers I spent in a cabin where you'd just take a cold shower and hop into bed naked and hope you fell asleep before you got too hot) and you have to have it that hot, maybe you could try a cotton sleep sack with nothing underneath (arms exposed) that would mimic just a sheet?  
  • Options
    I like it warm. 72 ish but it always ends up at 60 bc my fil set it that way and I hate it. I Amaya's wake up come and turn the heat on to 75. He sleeps in either a sleep sack if fleece or cotton or a cotton swaddle as we wean him off. It doesn't stay on anymore though so he usually ends up in just a onesie.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Around 70; we set the AC to 65 but the room temp is more around 70

And she'll sleep on a onesie, cotton sleeper and sleepsack (that we might ditch when she outgrowns it, for DS was around 7m)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

72-74

cotton onsie and sleeper 

• Options
    kimmletkimmlet member
    DS sleeps better if the house is cooler, we used to keep it around 74 but the past few days it's been 68-70 and he has slept MUCH better.

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

• Options
    ObLaDiObLaDi member
    Oh my gosh I would DIE in a 78 degree room.

We probably keep it around 70.
  • Options
    holly52holly52 member
    We keep our thermostat set to 73, but the rooms in our house are always a bit colder like around 70.  DD gets very hot easily.  She sleeps in a onesie and the miracle blanket or she sleeps in a just a sleeper and she is fine. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"