Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Cradle cap??

My son has 2 scaly patches on his head.. Wondering if this is cradle cap? If so how do you get rid of it?

Re: Cradle cap??

• It could be. Our pediatrician told us we could use adult dandruff shampoo like Head & Shoulders, but I don't think our LO's cradle cap is that bad to warrant using that. We just apply baby oil and brush her hair/head gently after each bath. It seems to work just fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son has cradle cap on his forehead, he has so much hair that you can't tell unless you look very hard that he has a very mild case (two or three places) on his scalp. I just wash and put lotion on it... seems to be coming off slowly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • rlyttlerlyttle member

imageCrazyMary77:
    It could be. Our pediatrician told us we could use adult dandruff shampoo like Head & Shoulders, but I don't think our LO's cradle cap is that bad to warrant using that. We just apply baby oil and brush her hair/head gently after each bath. It seems to work just fine.

Using Head & Shoulders is a TERRIBLE suggestion!!! It has soooo many terrible chemicals in it. All you have to do for cradle cap is really scrub your baby's head with a washcloth, then apply a little baby oil.  

• DS has cradle cap-- sounds like it could be.  His pediatrician suggested hydrocortizone cream on it and/or brushing it with an adult toothbrush while he's getting a bath.  I haven't done either, but I might soon.  It will go away on its own eventually, I believe.
  • Does it have a color? My LO had cradle cap until about 6 months. Hers was yellowish orange and you could scratch it off with your fingernail.
  • imagerlyttle:

imageCrazyMary77:
    It could be. Our pediatrician told us we could use adult dandruff shampoo like Head & Shoulders, but I don't think our LO's cradle cap is that bad to warrant using that. We just apply baby oil and brush her hair/head gently after each bath. It seems to work just fine.

Using Head & Shoulders is a TERRIBLE suggestion!!! It has soooo many terrible chemicals in it. All you have to do for cradle cap is really scrub your baby's head with a washcloth, then apply a little baby oil.  

I used selsun blue on my LO's scalp twice a week. It heloed big time. You just gotta make sure it doesnt get in there eyes since it will sting. My pedi, my sisters pedi and my brothers pedi all suggested this.  Its not bad to use.

• I don't know if it's true, but my mom swears by it and it worked for my DD. My mom thinks that it's caused (sometimes) by rinsing their hair with their bath water, instead of with fresh water. 

I always keep a cup of water to rinse DD's hair beside the bath. The times that I didn't do it (and just used bath water) she got some cradle cap. When I used fresh water, it went away.  

My friend always rinsed her kids hair with their bath water and they still get cradle cap (4 or 5 years old now) but it's not noticeable because she has long hair. 

(My mom noticed it with the residents at her nursing home. Some of the nurses just got rinsing water from the bath and the seniors would get "cradle cap".) 

• We've battled DD's cradle cap twice now.  It is yellowish scab-like spots on the scalp.

I rubbed Baby Oil onto it and then used the wide-tooth part of the comb that they gave me in the hospital to gently scrape the dead skin away.  I followed this by shampooing with her regular shampoo.  It worked really well and was gone almost instantly.  The only downside is the flakes that are left in the hair even after shampooing.  I wouldn't do it on a day you need to be somewhere.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • rlyttlerlyttle member
    imageAisham28:

imagerlyttle:

imageCrazyMary77:

I used selsun blue on my LO's scalp twice a week. It heloed big time. You just gotta make sure it doesnt get in there eyes since it will sting. My pedi, my sisters pedi and my brothers pedi all suggested this.  Its not bad to use.

I'm sure it works, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting those harsh chemicals on my baby. I know, I'm crazy sometimes, but I try to avoid chemicals, dyes, and other harsh things.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"