Natural Birth

Going natural with a breech extraction - twin birth

Hi ladies,

I am currently 38 weeks with di/di twin boys.  Baby A is posterior but is head down.  Baby B is still transverse, even though I've tried multiple sessions with the Webster technique at the chiropractor.  My ob has been pretty open-minded, and she is not making us induce and is willing to try a vaginal birth.  Although 7/8 on-call doctors will go right to c-section if they're not both head down.  I really want to do everything naturally (using the Bradley method), but my ob is somewhat pushing me to get an epidural in case Baby B needs a breech extraction or if we need to do an emergency c-section.  I really want to go natural, but I'm a little worried about having to be put under general anesthesia if we need to do a c-section.  Also, my ob keeps telling me that a breech extraction without an epidural will be too painful, that I won't be able to handle it, and that I'll have to be put under.  I've read that it is extremely painful, but I've been practicing my relaxation techniques and I really believe I can handle it.  How many of you have done a breech extraction without meds?  Also, what is your opinion on just going ahead and getting the epidural "in case?"  Thanks so much for any input you can give!
image image image
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Going natural with a breech extraction - twin birth

• Could you have the epidural catheter placed but not dosed? That would speed things up if you need a c-section, but you would still be able to cope with labour with the Bradley Method techniques.

I don't really see why a breech birth would be more painful. It has more risks, but the baby isn't magically bigger backwards.

• I hope things go well, but just in case, they don't put women under general anesthesia for csections any more.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • With my first son, I started bleeding heavily during labor. They did get the bleeding to stop, but were worried about placenta's abrubtion and the need for an emergency c section. I got the epidural "just in case". Turns out I didn't need it, but I would much rather be "attending" my sons birth than go under during an emergency.
    I was a little sad that I didn't get my natural birth, but all things considered, it was a beautiful birthing.
    My 2nd son is 2 weeks old and I was able to have my natural birth experience with him instead.
  • I had an epi with my twins and I had a really wonderful birth experience. Even with a relatively uncomplicated birth it will feel kind of frantic toward the end - I was in an OR, in stirrups, with about 10 people in the room (it's usually protocol to have NICU team for each baby just in case). I wanted everyone (including myself) to be able to focus on getting my babies out safely rather than managing my pain. 

That said, I did wait until I was almost 8cm to get the epi - up until that point I definitely used some of my hypnobirthing techniques to get through contractions. I feel like it was the best of both worlds.

Good luck and congrats on making it to 38 weeks! 

TTC #2 since July 2010
    FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
    5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
    March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all so much!
    image image image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagebleusimp:
    I hope things go well, but just in case, they don't put women under general anesthesia for csections any more.

For an emergency c section, they can put you under especially if you don't already have an epi or block on board.

Average time from incision to birth via c section is 15 min. In an emergency, it is 2 min. A general allows them to get to work much faster if you aren't already numbed.

I'm torn on this topic too. At least the epi doesn't cross the placenta. It can slow labor, but it can also help labor progress too... All depends
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageShoecrazysarah:
    imagebleusimp:
    I hope things go well, but just in case, they don't put women under general anesthesia for csections any more.
    For an emergency c section, they can put you under especially if you don't already have an epi or block on board. Average time from incision to birth via c section is 15 min. In an emergency, it is 2 min. A general allows them to get to work much faster if you aren't already numbed. I'm torn on this topic too. At least the epi doesn't cross the placenta. It can slow labor, but it can also help labor progress too... All depends

i know I'm a special snowflake but I had an epidural two actually, and the planned c section didn't go as planned so I had to be put under. They do it. It's just not the first choice.  

4/13/12--1st u/s. IDENTICAL TRIPLETS (?!?) PAIF and SAIF welcome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagebleusimp:

I had a GA for my c/s as did a friend of mine.  So yes they do.  I had an epi that wasn't working and while she wasn't a crash section like my friend's was she needed to come out, and they didn't have time to try a new epi.  My friend was a crash section with a natural birth with cord prolapse she went from delivery room to baby born in 11 minutes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagebleusimp:

My BFF had general anesthesia for an emergency C-section involving a surprise footling breech baby 5 months ago, so yes they do.

Her recovery was terrible and she was completely out of it for a good 24 hours. I would see if they can do what tokenhoser suggested and if not, get the epidural. I know it is disappointing, but I also know my friend hates that she doesn't remember anything about her son's first day of life.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"