Parenting after 35
Options

Snack Ideas for Travel...HELP!

We are going to be living out of a hotel for one week as DH and I have to attend a conference for work. t home we always give DS pretty healthy snacks but I am out of ideas of non-perishable snacks we can keep with us on our trip. Right now I have fruit cups and crackers (not necessarily healthy but it works). DS is 19 mos old. I was wondering if you ladies had any good ideas for us on non-perishable items we can bring and get through security. TIA!
image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Snack Ideas for Travel...HELP!

• Options

We've flown about 10 times with DS and have never had a problem getting the following through security: 

I always carry pouches but I'm very weird, apparently, and still give my kid purees at this late stage.  He loves them, though, and they are super convenient.  

I also like those dehydrated yogurt drops for traveling.

I always have cuties (mandarins) and an apple or two (depending on how long the trip is). Those travel well. We always have mums and other "cookies".  

Good luck! 

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• Options
    steverstever member
    Goldfish, Graham Crackers, apple, bananas, carrots, milk boxes, bread rolls - DS loves carbs.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not the healthiest, but DD's favorite on the go snacks are cereal (cheerios, fruit loops), cereal bars and Gerber fruit strips.
  • Options
    Thanks so much ladies! I picked up some Cheerios, fruit cups, yogurt drops and puffs last night. I will definitely pick up some fruit tomorrow too. I really appreciate the ideas and I am also glad to know that TSA will allow me to bring these things through security. Last year DS was on purees and everything was sealed so we didn't have any issues. I wasn't sure, given that he eats table food, that they would allow these things. It is nice to have the reassurance along with great ideas for snacks!
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    wedseptwedsept member
    What about the Earth's Best pouches?  Also, Gerber makes a yogurt that doesn't require refrigeration.  Mum-mums.  Raisins. 
  • Options
    Go go Squeeze makes pouches of organic applesauce, my son loves them. Not the healthiest but they'll do in a pinch. You could bring apples and a jar of peanut butter, too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jcathjcath member
    My girls love Jammie Sammie's (like nutrigrain bars but smaller and more expensive) I kid myself into believe it's a fruit serving :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Don't travel with bananas!  Just don't.  They don't travel well and will end up smooshed at the bottom of a bag all over all the clean diapers.  Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.  BUt, really, they don't travel well.

Also, I'd skip the raisins, fruit cups and the fruit strips for the plane trip.  They are just messy and sticky.  Once you are in the hotel they'd be perfect, though! 

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• Options

DS loves freeze dried fruit.   DS has been eating this since he was ~15 mo (now he is 22 mo).  Bananas hold up really well.  He also like strawberries, blueberries and raspberries but they can end up with a lot of dust in the bottom of the bag.  I get them at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.  They're a little pricey but I like that their healthy.  The ones from Whole Foods are organic. 

DS also does well now with regular dried cherries.  I do worry more that these could be a choking hazard so I watch him more carefully with the dried fruit. 

DS has also liked the chewy TLC granola bars.  I give him small pieces of the trail mix bar making sure that he doesn't get any large nut pieces. 

What about a hardboiled egg?  Would they make it through security if you didn't peel them?  They'd probably be ok if you're only travelling for a short time (<~4-5 hrs?).  At least, I'd trust it.   

What about the prewrapped snack cheeses too?  I'd be willing to take them on a flight and let DS eat them too.  I doubt they'll go bad unless you'll be sitting on a hot tarmac for several hours!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"