August 2012 Moms

Behind in development

So, G had his 9 month appointment yesterday, along with half of the board, and his pediatrician is concerned and says he's "a little behind" in development/fine motor skills.

These are the things she asked us if he could do that he apparently should be able to do:

-wave

-play pattycake (which we never do, so I'm not surprised he doesn't know how)

-clap

-play peek-a-boo (again, not a huge activity around here)

-pinch/pick things up with only his index and thumb

So, now we're trying to work on these things. It sounded off to me that she said he was behind because I don't really remember seeing any threads about anyone's kids doing any of these things. Can your LO do all of those things?

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
SCANDAL!

Re: Behind in development

• Emery just learned how to wave about two weeks ago.  It was one of those things he learned in a day, after I started motioning his hand for him for a few days and saying "bye bye", he just picked it up. 

My doctor said "pattycake" and "clapping" are the same thing.  He just learned how to clap about a week ago, same story as waving.

He's been able to pick things up with thumb and fore finger for a few months now, since we started giving him puffs to snack on. 

I bet once you start working with him, he'll pick it up super fast.  Aside from the pincer grasp, the others are all learned/mimic skills. 

I would not worry about him being behind, you know to take that with a grain of salt.

ETA- I missed peekaboo.  He likes to sit by the curtains and pull them over his face and then pull them back and I say peekaboo.  I think that may be more accidental, but it is a game we play.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hughitt is working on his pincher grasp, but he isn't doing any of those other things. We see a PT/OT once a week and she's never mentioned it, so I'm really not worried.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Loading the player...
  • You have absolutely nothing to worry about.
    SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yep, clapping and patty cakes are the same thing. Evie is waving because once we thought she was waving hello (turns out she was just flailing) but we encouraged it ever since, and now she's got it down.

I bet he'll pick it up easy peasy, and it's really fun teaching!

• He can wave and do a halfass pincer grasp. That's about it.

I doubt he's behind. Every baby focuses on different things at different times. As long as he's using his hands [picking things up, passing from one hand to the other, etc] there's probably not much to worry about.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLiliDragon:
    Girl, I am over here stressing myself to shiit because of that ASQ checklist Jill posted about. Apparently my kid's "borderline" delayed in gross motor? I don't know many babies that can bend their knees to pick up a toy from "standing." I dunno. Lili can't do any of that stuff and it's literally making me sick. Like I want to eat a whole chocolate cake I'm so stressed. Parenting, FML...

LiliD, I missed the post from Jill you are talking about but I just googled the ASQ checklist and checked it out.  The checklist for our kids' age group is for 8-12 months, right?  Most of the skills are allowed a few months of variability, every kid really learns at their own pace.  PLEASE try not to stress out!!!!  It's not worth it and it'll accomplish nothing.  I know we all use this board as a place to vent our fears and frustrations and I know very well how helpful and comforting so many of you have been for me while I've been worried about various things Emery has done/dealt with over the months.  But please don't make yourself sick over a stupid checklist!  Hugs mama.

eta- I just found the real asq checklist.  How effing rigid.  Everything above still stands.

• My giant AAP book (free from Publix grocery stores if you sign up for their baby club, BTW) lists a couple of these things, but really stresses that at this point, "behind" is relative.  It says you should only be truly concerned if your child appears not to use one side of his body.

Charlotte is 8.5 months.  Here is her list:

She doesn't wave yet.  

We've never tried playing patty-cake, but she does give high fives.

She just started clapping consistently last weekend.  It started with her banging toys together for a couple weeks, and then she figured out that hands were also good for banging.

She picks up puffs or other finger foods with her thumb and first two fingers. 

She is obsessed with peek-a-boo: we put a cloth over her head, ask "Where's Charotte?" then she pulls it off and laughs.  She will also find us if we hide behind a wall.

• I commented on someone's post about this yesterday. Google a 9 month ASQ screening and then a 10 month. There's really a grey area from months 8-12 as kids concentrate on one area of development and then move onto the next. If he's not quite there with fine motor he may be excelling at gross motor or cognitive. Don't worry your big booty off. 
  • imageKLilley:

imageLiliDragon:
    Girl, I am over here stressing myself to shiit because of that ASQ checklist Jill posted about. Apparently my kid's "borderline" delayed in gross motor? I don't know many babies that can bend their knees to pick up a toy from "standing." I dunno. Lili can't do any of that stuff and it's literally making me sick. Like I want to eat a whole chocolate cake I'm so stressed. Parenting, FML...

LiliD, I missed the post from Jill you are talking about but I just googled the ASQ checklist and checked it out.  The checklist for our kids' age group is for 8-12 months, right?  Most of the skills are allowed a few months of variability, every kid really learns at their own pace.  PLEASE try not to stress out!!!!  It's not worth it and it'll accomplish nothing.  I know we all use this board as a place to vent our fears and frustrations and I know very well how helpful and comforting so many of you have been for me while I've been worried about various things Emery has done/dealt with over the months.  But please don't make yourself sick over a stupid checklist!  Hugs mama.

eta- I just found the real asq checklist.  How effing rigid.  Everything above still stands.

Sorry I should have read more thoroughly, don't worry ladies! Like I said those are checklists of a few things and don't assess every aspect of your childs development. We just use them to see if we should keep an eye out not diagnose. And again, our kids focus on one area at a time before they start mastering a new skill.    

• DS doesn't do any of those things consistently, and his pedi wasn't concerned at all.  He is starting to learn to wave and use a pincher grasp.  That's it. 
  • Ummm....no. I wouldn't classify him as behind because he can't do those things.
    WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog

• DS can clap, wave, pick up things with his thumb and index. I have not tried peek a boo or partty cake.

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

imageimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• amaiteamaite member
    Ds doesn't clap his own 2 hands together. For patty cake he either claps my hand, claps against a table, or puts his hand on the outside of my hands to clap them together. He does the other things.
  • DS can pinch things to pick them up and just started doing peekaboo this week, but he doesn't wave or clap yet.

I don't really think you need to worry. I mean, if your pedi wants you to work on them, great, but don't stress about it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Tula214Tula214 member
    J has been playing peek a boo for a few months, but it is a game we play frequently. He has a good pincer grip, and waves when HE wants to.

He tries to clap sometimes, but isn't so good at it. He slaps his hands downward on top of each other.

I have never tried to play patty cake so I don't know about that.
  • Amir is just starting to get the concept of waving.
    He doesn't get clapping. Big Sis plays with him but he would rather eat the fingers.
    He starts off using the pincer grip but gets frustrated and stayed pawing the food in.

My daughter didn't get clasping till around 1.
    She got waving around 10ish months.,
    She figured out the pincer grip early at 9m.
    I'm not worried at all. Neither is his pedi.
  • A,

i'm glad i saw this.  i hadn't heard about the ASQ, but i found a copy of the 10 month one here.  https://thepediatricgroup.net/docs/ASQ-3_10_Mo_Set_A.pdf

many of the things you mention are listed, but if you read right at the top it says it's the questionnaire from 9 months to 10 months, 30 days (basically 11 months). 

you know how it is with them.  they can not be doing something one day and by the next morning, be a pro at it.  i wouldn't worry at all. 

honestly, i think it's irresponsible of your pedi to make you panic at this point.  G is fine.  i agree with other posters, i bet if you start doing these activities with him, he'll get them in no time.

we don't play many of these games with Koa either, so i guess i better get to it :)

• vic8504vic8504 member

DD can wave, play peek-a-boo and pinch/pick things up (50% of the time) with her thumb and index fingers.

She is no where close to showing any interest in clapping or playing patty cake, which is one of her favorite songs since I have sang it to her since she was born...

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"