Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Nuts

My son 20 month old doesn't eat much meat so I want to introduce nuts as a protein source. However, I'm scared they are a choking hazard, so while he is fine with peanut or almond butter, I've never given him actual nuts. Have you given your toddler nuts? Any certain kinds that are softer or less of a hazard? Or am I being overly cautious? TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Nuts

• We discovered a tree nut allergy with my LO that was being transferred through my breastmilk and giving him a terrible rash, so they are off limits for us! The allergist said it can be a common allergy in kids, so I would introduce them slowly. As far as choking, I would just cut them in half.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• He won't eat chick peas....the only time I e gotten him to eat black beams is if I hide them in blueberry crumble!! I'll give hummus another whirl as I have not tried it in a while. Are cashews generally a bit softer and safer, anyone?
  • Loading the player...
  • kalettekalette member
    You could throw them in the food processor to chop!
  • My LO always asks for nuts when I am eating them, usually almonds.  I just bit them and give him a small piece (about 1/3 of an almond).  It could get time consuming.  You could try sliced almonds.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Try black beans or blackeye peas. k loves them and they are like 3 in 1: carbs, protein and fiber. 
  • wedseptwedsept member
    You can buy almonds that are sliced, so they aren't a choking hazard.  My pedi told me not to give actual nuts until 3 because they are a common choking hazard.  What about edamame?  That is a great protein.  You can also try to put tofu in something else he eats, like yogurt. 
  • My son is a nut nut.  He loves them and eats them every day.

I give him the almonds that are blanched and slivered, and chopped pecans/walnuts.  The only ones I give him that give me pause are the macademia nuts - but he LOVES them.  I guess they're softer?  But I watch him like a hawk when he snacks on them.

Another protein source you might want to look into is quinoa.  Especially if your son like things like pastina or couscous.  They're seeds that are high in protein, but grain-like, so very kid-friendly.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks guys! Sadly he will not eat quinoa or rice/pasta type things. He's so picky. I don't know how it happens since I started him off "right" with tons of fresh homemade baby food. I'll try edamame and sneaking tofu in yogurt, thanks! Slivered almonds sound safe too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"