Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Baby Eczema help

DS started out with one little spot of eczema inside his right elbow. Doc told us to keep it moisturized. Now he has it on the backside of his right elbow, inside his left and behind his knee.

We started out using J&J, then moved to Burt's Bees (nurses recommended it), then changed out his baby wash to BB as well. Then we stopped bathing him as much, but continue to moisturize. But this seems to be getting worse, not better.

On top of that, he has cradle cap - not terrible, but it is there. When we try to treat it, his poor head goes from yellow cradle cap flaky to white dry skin flaky. 

WHAT DO I DO? This poor kid looks like a leper. Luckily this whole thing only seems to bother me and DH, and not DS in the slightest.

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Baby Eczema help

• We coat DS in vaseline every night, but I should be doing it more often than that. He's a really rashy baby. We bathe every night, but only use BB shampoo on his hair ever other night, none on his body. CJ's BUTTer also helps his skin. For cradle cap, we get his scalp nice and wet and use a fine tooth comb to pull up the dead skin. You can add olive oil to this as well. I put a small amount of .5 steroid cream on his cradle cap and eczema before his pictures for a quick short term solution.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My nephew had it bad. They used aveeno and aquaphor. Then they also needed some rx steroid cream. Absolutely nothing with scent to it. I'd get a referral to a dermatologist, they are more knowledgeable.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Cetaphil has changed my LO's life! He had it horribly on his cheeks, temples, behind his ears, elbows, and knees. Even some random spots on his chest and stomach and shoulders. So basically, everywhere! It would itch him and bother him and it hurt to look at it! I understand where you are coming from for sure!!! Go get Cetaphil body wash, lotion, and cream. Per our Pedi, we are using only the wash during each bathtime, the lotion a few times a day, and I put the cream on the heavy areas each time I change his diaper. It is FINALLY clearing up after a few weeks. It's an amazing change!!! It's a little pricey, all three items cost us about $50, but it's totally worth it. Our pedi said that if it didn't work we would try hydrocortisone 1% next.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter seriously has HORRIBLE eczema.  Especially inside her elbows, back of knees, neck and arm pits on top of dry skin all over.  In the summer, it was so bad it was oozing.  We changed her and our laundry detergent but the biggest help was changing her baby wash to a dye and fragrance free.  It's made a huge difference.  We also use aquaphor and babyganics scent and dye free eczema cream.  The dr also gave us steroid cream for when it's super duper bad but since changing her baby wash we've only had to use it a few times. 

For her cradle cap we used Tea Tree Oil. Works great!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks gang. The Burts Bees stuff is dye and fragrance free (I thought), but if you have something else you prefer and did not list it already, please do. Or you can send me a private message.

THANKS!

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My daughter has dry skin and I use aquafor on everything and it helps. for Cradle cap I used oil on her head. I let it sit for 20 min and then i combed it out. Worked like a charm. I found it on mommypolls.com and tried it that night.
  • We just started having eczema issues about 2-3 weeks ago.  We've started using aquaphor baby bath wash in her tub, and aveeno baby eczema cream in the morning and after her bath at night.  We also use 1% hydrocortizone cream on the really rough spots.  After 1 week of using all of this, she's definitely looking better!
  • My LO is hopefully just getting over a bad case of eczema. It was bad in his scalp and behind the ears and lately on his back. Our pedi suggested using head n shoulders shampoo on his scalp AND as a body wash. We also have a steroid cream and use aveeno eczema lotion.
  • My sons eczema seemed like it consistently got worse and worse with everything we tried. its just now getting better once we switched to good ol' fashioned Eucerin Cream (Original only). We have also switched our laundry soap, no more dryer sheets, none of us wear perfumes or cologne any more, and we use baby aquaphore gentle shampoo and wash in his bath. His eczema started on his forehead and elbow and now covers his entire body, but is FINALLY dissipating :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • None of the above seemed to help our little man so if you want to try something else... (although the head and shoulders...didn't try that!)

We had great success with Aubry organic's baby lotion.  We got it on amazon.  It's awesome.  It has a scent that if you're not expecting it it might be weird but it's just very natural smelling, like an oatmeal-ish, not a "clean" scent.

We use it all the time.  We also had good results with the Earths best baby lotion (yellow bottle).  BRU was clearencing it so we bought it on a whim and it seems to work.

Babyganics seemed to make it worse and aquaphor didn't seem to help.  We did use coconut oil for a while but it kept staining my clothes so we only use at night.  (not stain stain just an "oil" type stain, came right out in wash.)

• My son also had very bad eczema and cradle cap. At bathtime, I put baby oil on his scalp and used a soft bristle baby brush to gently massage it into his scalp, washing it out at the end of the bath. I used Aveeno soap and oatmeal bath packets in the tub. After bath time, I lathered him in Aquafor lotion, including his scalp. I made sure to use the brush in his hair after the lotion was applied. We still had a rough spot behind his knee which the doctor gave us a steroid for. He is cradle cap free for the last three months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"