May 2013 Moms

Diaper rash

I'm so upset and feel bad for my LO. She's not even a week old and has horrible diaper rash. When I was in the hospital she stayed with us the first night and the second night we sent her to the nursery around 12am which I wasn't so crazy about but they were going to come get her 3:50 for the jaundice test. When she came back to us around 6:30 she had a lot of redness down there. They apparently don't change them when they go or something because I have no explanation for this one. I was so upset but as the time is progressing I feel it has gotten worse from Saturday. We tried desitin and now using butt paste. Any STM's have suggestions on what really works. I just feel so helpless and I don't like seeing her in pain.

Re: Diaper rash

• Autumn got diaper rash in the hospital as well. I think it was the meconium combined with the brand of diapers they used. Anyway, coconut oil has worked amazingly! The other thing my mom suggested was zinc oxide. You can buy it from Walmart. Apparently its the main ingredient in a good diaper rash cream. Air out time helped as well.
  • Our pediatrician gave us a sample of Dr. Smith's diaper rash cream. Omg, it smells like something you might pave a road with, but it worked soooo fast! 

Also, don't underestimate the value of naked baby time. Sometimes just letting the area remain uncovered for a while really helps.

• Loading the player...
  • We are big fans of aquafor for any rash, skin issue etc. clears it right up. No scent either. 
    IMG_5977lb
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• My DS1 had constant diaper rashes... It was because his skin was so sensitive, not because of dirty diapers. I had to change the diapers/wipes/lotions I used.
  • Thanks ladies I will definitely be looking into the items you wrote.
  • MrsRKJMrsRKJ member

imagesugarmamma:
    We are big fans of aquafor for any rash, skin issue etc. clears it right up. No scent either. 

I second the aquaphor.  DS had a really bad diaper rash (bleeding) in the hospital, and they used a combo of A&D and Desitin, which helped cleared it up, but we've been using Aquaphor since he's been home, and it hasn't come back.  Either one works great! 

Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTA until 2014

• Also try changing brands of diapers and using just gauze pads and water to clean the area. It could be a reaction to one of those as well.

Naked butt, making sure the area is super dry before putting any cream or diaper on, and something with zinc oxide are my suggestions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• image1and1is3:
    Autumn got diaper rash in the hospital as well. I think it was the meconium combined with the brand of diapers they used. Anyway, coconut oil has worked amazingly! The other thing my mom suggested was zinc oxide. You can buy it from Walmart. Apparently its the main ingredient in a good diaper rash cream. Air out time helped as well.

This!!!!!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary image image image image
  • A and D worked for DS an Vaseline worked for DD. Every kid is different.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsRKJ:

imagesugarmamma:
    We are big fans of aquafor for any rash, skin issue etc. clears it right up. No scent either. 

I second the aquaphor.  DS had a really bad diaper rash (bleeding) in the hospital, and they used a combo of A&D and Desitin, which helped cleared it up, but we've been using Aquaphor since he's been home, and it hasn't come back.  Either one works great! 

Agree with aquaphor! My niece had bad diaper rashes and after they started using this she never gets them. I also second making sure the bottom is completely dry! If there is moisture from wipes/bath then the butt paste or any cream will trap that against babies skin and be counterintuitive.  

Me: 32
    DH: 35
    DD #1: 6/1/2013
    EDD #2: 6/7/2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• the best thing IMO is Aquaphor
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"