February 2013 Moms

How bad is this?

I have posted before about LO's hatred of tummy time.  She is 3 months today and still screaming bloody murder during tummy time.  I have tried everything and every encounter leads to a major meltdown that only ends when I nurse her.  Except... if I let her watch tv while she lays on my legs.  For the television she will hold her neck up and go a good 8 minutes before she cries.  Normally I would never let her watch tv but I am starting to be concerned that she isn't progressing fast enough.  I was watching a YouTube video and it said by 3 months a baby should Definitely be able to hold themselves up on their arms and lift their head.  She is not doing this.  When I try to place her arms underneath her she immediately splays them out to the side.  She also isn't even close to rolling over as far as I can tell.  So, which do you think is worse? limited tummy time or TV? or would you just let her cry it out on the floor?

Re: How bad is this?

• MBush4MBush4 member
    I have to remind myself that each baby develops at different paces. While some babies may take a while to do one thing they may be average or even quick with other thing. I think that if she still isn't doing it by 4 months I'd bring it up with your ped. But unless it's the ped, I tend to brush a lot of "should be" things. Not all babies are the same. As for tummy time and TV, why not. Whatever you feel will be better for her is fine.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Maybe I'm a bad mom but sometimes DS watches TV. Babies like lights and colors which is basically all tv is to them right now. I don't see it as a big deal but that's just my opinion.

ETA: DS also hated tummy time so we hardly ever did it. Imagine my surprise when he ended up rolling at 12 weeks, tummy to back. So it must not be that big of a deal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Loading the player...
  • At this age, I would not worry a bit about your baby watching TV. She has no idea what it is, and is probably just engaged with the movement and colors. If you are truly concerned about getting quality tummy time, and that  is the only thing that allows you to do it, I would stick with it.  Regulation of technology is something I'll worry about later when DS is old enough to understand what it is.
  • imageDC2London:

imageDublinMama:
    At this age, I would not worry a bit about your baby watching TV. She has no idea what it is, and is probably just engaged with the movement and colors. If you are truly concerned about getting quality tummy time, and that  is the only thing that allows you to do it, I would stick with it.  Regulation of technology is something I'll worry about later when DS is old enough to understand what it is.

I totally agree with this. 

Ditto. A little bit of TV can't hurt, especially if it helps facilitate tummy time.

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had issues with my daughter doing tummy time and a nurse recommended putting her on her tummy til she had enough then flip her on her back for a bit and try tummy again. 

I was also told that holding your baby against you counts as tummy time because your baby will try to hold their heads up.

I agree with the other posters as well, if tv is working for you go for it! & all babies are different.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just like everything baby related it comes down to what you feel is best for your baby. With that said keep in mind that when it comes down to it all babies are in fact different. I may just be a mean mom but Luke watches no tv and I hope to keep it that way until he is at least two (as recommended  by AAP) because it does affect brain development as well as increases chances of ADD/ADHD. Luke hates tummy time so I try to hold him upright a lot, tummy to tummy or facing outward. To me his brain development is more important than holding his head up and even though I doubt a few minutes here and there will noticeably affect his brain development I would rather not get in the habit of it. 
  • Yeah, this is my feeling too.  sigh... what to do, what to do.
  • Try not to stress too much over it. All babies progress differently. I am a pediatric physical therapist and my DD hated tummy time. I used to play her YouTube videos to entertain her for a few minutes. That is all she would tolerate. She learned to sit up before she learned to roll or crawl. She walked early and has always been a smart cookie. So moral of the story. Do what works for you and just try and enjoy every moment. They will progress regardless of what you do or don't do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"