Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Where do you change baby?

We are wondering if we really need to spend money on a changing table/dresser (to put the changing pad on).  Do you change baby on a changing pad at a specific changing location or do you use the floor/couch/bed etc?

Thank you! 

After 4.5 years our miracle IVF baby is here!
Born 7/30/13

Re: Where do you change baby?

• Bed and couch... I have a changing table with my pack n play... but it takes too much time to flip and buckle... by that time my little one will be fussing or crying.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Floor, bed, couch, and changing table.  I like having a changing table in place of a dresser at this point.  Ours has a shelf mid-way down and then at the bottom, so I have 4 bins that sit on the shelves organized with clothes. I usually use the changing table when I'm getting her dressed in the morning and then after her bath to get her in her PJ's for the night.  Once she's in her crib all night long, she'll be changed in the middle of the night when necessary but right now she gets changed on the bed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jbatchjbatch member
    I always use my changing table.. Only the first two weeks did I change her on the floor because I was to uncomfortable to go up the stairs..

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We always use our changing table...

BabyFruit Ticker

• With DD1 and DD2 I use the floor more than anything. Just lay a blanket out and do it. Or my bed. We didn't get a changing table for DD1, we did with DD2, and it just seems inconvenient to take her all the way to her room. I just leave diapers/wipes in the living room.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Changing table that's attached to our PnP.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I used the changing table every single time with DS1, unless we weren't home.  He has never been changed anywhere else.  DS2...yeah, we use the couch, bed, wherever!  Totally not a necessary purchase; although my couch did get some poop on it today.  A washable changing pad might be a good purchase.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • smfdjosmfdjo member
    We take the changing pad from the diaper bag and change on floor.  Not running to his room every time he needs to be changed.
  • tig594tig594 member
    DD tinkled on my couch after her bath before i could get a diaper on her. Granted there was a towel under her but a little leaked through. I cleaned it but still...I won't tell if you don't.
  • Our changing table is an ikea dresser so it does double work. We always use it. I would never change DS on the couch; he loves to pee during diaper changes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• mnj05mnj05 member
    Couch and floor for now. When we move him to his room, we will use the changing table at night and in the mornings. We got a crib with changing table attached, his room is tiny and there isn't room for a dresser/changing table.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• The floor. I have a storage bucket that I have the essentials in: diapers, wipes, diaper cream and an emergency change of clothes or two, plus a thin blanket. For most changes, I grab the bin and sit on the floor.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I use the changing table, and it was a life-saver after my c/s. Stooping was super uncomfortable for a few weeks. Now I still use the table for diaper changes, but use my bed for clothing changes. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Always the changing pad on the dresser. I assume you'll get a dresser anyway? A changing pad and cover is only like 40. Our house is one level and just next to our room and down the hall from the living room, so it's really not any faster to change him elsewhere.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Changing table upstairs
    Changing attachment on PnP downstairs
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imageswelniak:
    Always the changing pad on the dresser. I assume you'll get a dresser anyway? A changing pad and cover is only like 40. Our house is one level and just next to our room and down the hall from the living room, so it's really not any faster to change him elsewhere.

We have a dresser that was given to use but its 5 drawers and its tall and skinny.  It would not work to put the pad on top.  I was hoping for a 6 drawer dresser that was shorter and wider.  We do have one in our room but I don't know if we want a changing station in our room.  It is an option though.

Thanks for all your opinion/suggestions! 

After 4.5 years our miracle IVF baby is here!
    Born 7/30/13
  • imageJmeJme:
    We always use our changing table...

This. Even for my 2.5 and 3.5 year old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • At home, we use the changing table everytime.
  • Changing table, always. It has everything accessible and is healthier for your back, being so high. The drawer with all of his clothes is right under him, I don't have to leave his side. 

When we are out the car backseat trumps public bathrooms, but I will take him if I need to. 

Beds at people's houses. 

• khazekhaze member
    imageMKC12/22/2006:
    Our changing table is an ikea dresser so it does double work. We always use it. I would never change DS on the couch; he loves to pee during diaper changes.

Same here. Changing pad ontop of dresser. I used to change him wherever but he peed on my bed too many times so now we change just at this spot.

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• I have a folded towel on the bathroom counter -- between the sink and the toilet.  For now, that is where we change lo.  He's in cloth diapers and we use cloth wipes so it's handy to just turn on the faucet to wet the wipe. 

We did change him on our bed for the first few days after coming home from the hospital -- until he pooped and it shot all over the bedding at 6am -- even with a waterproof mat under him. 

I'm hoping we're in a house with more changing space options before he gets too big to use the counter top.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • we thought it was a complete waste of money to buy a changing table! all it really is is a dresser with a pad on top! i change my daughter anywhere lol. the floor, the bed, the couch, etc.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagesmfdjo:
    We take the changing pad from the diaper bag and change on floor.nbsp; Not running to his room every time he needs to be changed.

Same here, during the day, except we usually put the changing pad on the coffee table. Sometimes we'll change him on the floor or the couch. We don't have a changing table yet but are getting one when we eventually get LO's crib. Even then I'm not going to run upstairs to his room every time he needs to be changed. We have all the necessities to do diaper changes in our living room and in our bedroom where LO sleeps in the bassinet portion of the playard at night. We change LO in the change table attachment of the playard at night. That won't last for much longer though because soon LO will be too heavy for us to use it. So we'll start changing him on our bed.
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • PhoopyPhoopy member

imagemilkergirl1:
    Changing table only.  I can't imagine not having one, and it's nice to use the shelves on it.  I have a boy, and if we used the couch, it would have been covered in pee several times.

haha, this exactly! 

• Changing table, always.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We have two changing stations, a dresser with pad in his room upstairs and a changing table in the family room downstairs. Those are the only places he's been changed in our house. It would kill my back if I did that many diaper changes on the floor or even the couch. And he likes to poop and pee during changes too. 

• imageMommymorticia:
    Changing table, always. It has everything accessible and is healthier for your back, being so high. The drawer with all of his clothes is right under him, I don't have to leave his side.nbsp;When we are out the car backseat trumps public bathrooms, but I will take him if I need to.nbsp;Beds at people's houses.nbsp;

Ditto this 100 percent

• JSS1002JSS1002 member

When at home, I've never changed him anywhere other than the changing table (one time on the changer attached to the PnP). 

We do have a changing station set up in the basement by our extra PnP but we've never used it.

I like having everything all in one place and having a system -- when a baby is peeing on you and covered in poo, I don't really want to risk getting it on the carpet, sofa, blankets, etc.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • VespahVespah member
    Changing pad that is on a dresser in his sister's room, or the occasional middle of the night change on the PnP change table (but he's very soon going to be too big for that option).
    Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• When we are upstairs (morning/MOTN), we change him on a changing pad on top of his dresser. Downstairs I keep a rubber changing pad, a stash of diapers and wipes, and a couple extra outfits, so during the daytime we just change him on the pad on the coffee table or floor so we don't have to run up and down. You're most likely going to need a dresser regardless for clothes, bibs, blankets, sheets, changing pad covers, towels, etc... So to me the dresser wasn't optional like you're making it sound. We sanded and spray painted an old dresser we already had and replaced the knobs to get the look we wanted for cheap. I would NOT want to be getting down onto the floor in the MOTN for changes, personally. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • imageguilletskichuk:
    imagesmfdjo:
    We take the changing pad from the diaper bag and change on floor.nbsp; Not running to his room every time he needs to be changed.
    Same here, during the day, except we usually put the changing pad on the coffee table. Sometimes we'll change him on the floor or the couch. We don't have a changing table yet but are getting one when we eventually get LO's crib. Even then I'm not going to run upstairs to his room every time he needs to be changed. We have all the necessities to do diaper changes in our living room and in our bedroom where LO sleeps in the bassinet portion of the playard at night. We change LO in the change table attachment of the playard at night. That won't last for much longer though because soon LO will be too heavy for us to use it. So we'll start changing him on our bed.

you're brave to change DS in your bed... I wouldn't do it bc our LO all too often ends up in a big puddle of pee and I wouldn't want to have to change the sheets on our bed in the MOTN. Way harder than changing a crib sheet! 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Changing table. I've used it exclusively with all three of my kids. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • After reading the post here I'm thinking I'm wierd for using the changing table all the time. I just its nice to have all of the supplies I need within reach at all times. My changing table is attached to the crib so it would of been stupid to buy if we didn't use it.
  • SkyBeeSkyBee member
    imageJmeJme:
    We always use our changing table...
    this
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I changed her, and still do this, where ever I was. It's nice to have the changing table in her room for night time changings, but if she was I. The bed with me, or in the living room, I changed her there
  • Bed. She is in our room.
  • my husband and I got a small dresser and double sided taped one of those pads on top. It's the perfect height, and it was relatively less expensive then just buying a changing table. I also have a travel changing pad that I like. I got it at Target, and it has places to put the wipes and diapers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"