May 2013 Moms

Stripped Membranes?

I had my 38 wk appt today and I was told I was not dilated and I was 60% effaced. When my doctor checked me, I noticed that it took a little longer and it hurt a lot more. It usually doesn't hurt at all.

Since the appointment I have been really crampy and in some discomfort. I didn't think to ask at the time if he did strip my membranes. I was under the impression that you had to be dilated a little before they could strip your membranes.

Is it possible he could have stripped them when I am just effaced?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Stripped Membranes?

• I've read on here that you can't get your membranes stripped unless you are dialated. I'm not sure though I never actually asked or researched it myself.
  • No, I think you have to be dilated.  Cramps often accompany an internal whether membranes are stripped or not.
  • Loading the player...
  • You do not have to be dilated to get your memranes stripped, but it hurts like a bit@h if you're not dilated. The doctor has to force their finger through your cervix.  I can't imagine my doc stripping my membranes without telling me or asking me.  A cervical check can also be painful.  It depends on thr position of your cervix.  Also, cervical checks cause cramping and spotting for many women.  

• imagehogrefea:

You do not have to be dilated to get your memranes stripped, but it hurts like a bit@h if you're not dilated. The doctor has to force their finger through your cervix.  I can't imagine my doc stripping my membranes without telling me or asking me.  A cervical check can also be painful.  It depends on thr position of your cervix.  Also, cervical checks cause cramping and spotting for many women.  

Holy hell.  I can't even imagine how painful that would be!!! 

• imagebotanicalbliss:
    imagehogrefea:

You do not have to be dilated to get your memranes stripped, but it hurts like a bit@h if you're not dilated. The doctor has to force their finger through your cervix.  I can't imagine my doc stripping my membranes without telling me or asking me.  A cervical check can also be painful.  It depends on thr position of your cervix.  Also, cervical checks cause cramping and spotting for many women.  

Holy hell.  I can't even imagine how painful that would be!!! 

It sucks a lot.  I had my doctor do it with DS because I was having lots of complications and didn't want the full blown induction.  It was NOT worth it.  (Maybe 'cause it didn't work???)

• imageCtweito:

I had my 38 wk appt today and I was told I was not dilated and I was 60% effaced. When my doctor checked me, I noticed that it took a little longer and it hurt a lot more. It usually doesn't hurt at all.

Since the appointment I have been really crampy and in some discomfort. I didn't think to ask at the time if he did strip my membranes. I was under the impression that you had to be dilated a little before they could strip your membranes.

Is it possible he could have stripped them when I am just effaced?

I am pretty sure you can't get them stripped because he would have to stick his finger in your cervix.. But I guess you could ask them. I got mine stripped at 38 weeks 6 days and im  now 39 weeks 2days and nothing has happend! 

• imagebeaubecca:
    Wouldn't they tell you before they stripped them? I would think that's something they need your approval for. But I have no personal experience.

This. My doctor wouldn't just strip my membranes and not tell me or ask first.
  • My OB doesn't strip membranes at all, he says it doesn't really do anything.

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • You can have your membranes stripped and NOT be dilated. I just had it done today. I'm 40 weeks and closed. It hurt, but I am now one centimeter dilated and she did say my cervix is soft. Hope it does it thing and I can deliver without any I further induction.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had my cervix checked last week and it hurt like a mother effer. I was super sore and even had a little bright red spotting that night. That early, I'm sure they'd ask to strip your membranes. (I had my membranes stripped later in pregnancy with my first baby, and that didn't even hurt as much as having my cervix checked this time around - Holy ow!)
    Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"