January 2013 Moms

What to expect at the 4 mo check up?

We have our 4 month check up on Friday. For those of you who have already had one, what can we expect with shots? Should I be able to bring DS to his day care afterwards? We go at lunch, so I am trying to determine if I should take the rest of the afternoon off or what.
Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: What to expect at the 4 mo check up?

• kimmletkimmlet member
    DS got 2 shots and an oral vaccine.  He did really well about not crying too much at the doctor's office but was absolutely miserable once we got home and cried pretty much non-stop for 2 days.  It was really hard.

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• How did he do for his 2 month?  Some kids have no reactions to shots, other's do.  It's just that and answering questions, and growth measurements.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • BLPL101BLPL101 member

She had a very mild fever that night, but otherwise no reaction.

ETA: She didn't have a fever at her 2 m shots so I was kinda surprised when she did at her 4 m.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageWild_flower25:
    How did he do for his 2 month?  Some kids have no reactions to shots, other's do.  It's just that and answering questions, and growth measurements.

Yep.

4mo appointment should be the exact same as thee 2mo appointment.  They'll do a general checkup like before and it should be the same vaccines unless you're on some sort of alternate schedule.  The risk for reactions does tend to increase with this series of vaccines as you go on, but in general how they reacted at 2mo will be a good indicator of what will happen this time.  Every baby is different.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Agree with all of the PP.  My little guy was a champ during and after the shots but was a miserable little baby for the following 24 hours.  I just watched him closely and gave him tylenol.  The tylenol really helps him and he was very sleepy.  He had the same reaction at his 2 mos.
  • He was even more miserable than at his 2mo shots. Read: nonstop. crying. inconsolable. poor guy...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ta78ta78 member
    We had ours today. DD is doing much better right now than after her 2 month shots. She is just sleeping now.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• jobiannjobiann member
    4 month appointment went the exact same as the 2 month but after his 2 month he had a very mild fever...after his 4 month he had no reactions except he didn't STTN for a few days. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• DD had a much harder time with the 4 month shots. She was funny all the day of but got better quickly.
  • Kie310Kie310 member

2 shots & the oral. Just like 2 months. My son went to DC that day and he was happy a pig in sh*t all day apparently. didn't nap really - but NBD there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD got the oral vaccine and 4 shots due to a national shortage on one of the combo shots. My poor girl. She was pretty cranky for a few nights but no fever. 
  • imageWild_flower25:
    How did he do for his 2 month?nbsp; Some kids have no reactions to shots, other's do.nbsp; It's just that and answering questions, and growth measurements.

This. Everything from your two month happens at the four month including all the same shots. Reactions are usually pretty similar.
    I'm planning to give him Tylenol before because he woke up screaming a few hours afterward and had a slight fever but was in obvious pain. He slept after the Tylenol for seven hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He had no visible reaction to his two month shots, so I was expecting the same with his four month.  Not so much.  He seemed to do well in the morning but about 3pm, he started screaming and crying non stop.  When I picked him up at 5:30pm, he was running a fever of 101.  I had bought children's Tylenol beforehand and I'm so glad I did.  I gave him a dose of it and about 10 minutes after that (by this time my husband had come home) and once daddy was holding him, he calmed right down and started eating and playing. 

I will make sure to leave the Tylenol with my mom (she watches DS during the day while I'm at work) after the six month appt.

Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"