September 2013 Moms

Sharing ultrasound pics on Facebook?

Ultrasound pictures on Facebook? What do you think? We're having our A/S this afternoon and I know that I'M really excited to see my baby, as is DH, but there have been a few friends (plus my MIL) that have said they want to see the pics as well. I see other people's US pics on facebook, but to me they all kind of look the same and I don't know if I should post mine or not. Weird? Not weird? Did/would you post it?

Re: Sharing ultrasound pics on Facebook?

• I did only because we have family everywhere. Just way easier.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I know a lot of people complain about this. I put them. I have a lot of family and friends who actually care and complain when I go too long without posting a picture. To the people who don't want to see it - don't look at it. Now, I don't post them all. I pick one and add it to the album for that baby. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I only posted one photo (the plain 2d profile) so that friends and family far away could see. Otherwise, I've been just showing people my prints as I see them/they ask.
  • kje120kje120 member
    I would email them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We didn't.  I think I have put a total of 2 pregnancy-related posts on Facebook.  If anyone wanted to see the pictures they asked and we either emailed them (they were loaded on a disc) or we brought them along to show. 

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
  • No I don't post mine. I agree that they all look the same and aside from a small handful of family, most people don't care. 

For me the only exception would be a 3D ultrasound where you can clearly see the face. I think those are pretty neat to look at, especially the comparison shots once the baby is born.  

ETA - whatever you choose to do, PLEASE don't post pics of your baby's genitals on FB. People don't need to see your boy's penis or girl's vagina to believe you that it's a boy/girl. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageMallardDucky:
    I did only because we have family everywhere. Just way easier.

This. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't. Nobody knows what they're looking at in an u/s photo unless you're there to explain it to them anyway.

imageimageimage

• jjkayejjkaye member

imagesteph 13055:
    We didn't.  I think I have put a total of 2 pregnancy-related posts on Facebook.  If anyone wanted to see the pictures they asked and we either emailed them (they were loaded on a disc) or we brought them along to show. 

This exactly.

• sfulquisfulqui member

I walk a fine line on FB when it comes to posting anything really. It doesn't bother me when I see people post a lot about their pregnancy or their kids but I know it does bug some people. If that's something that might worry you maybe you might not want to. HOWEVER, it is your profile and if you are happy and you want to share it then I say go for it. As for me I shared two pics so far, one with the announcement where the sonogram was a small part of the pic (I used a projector to project the sonogram over my belly... it was pretty neat) and the second was a gender announcement, no sonogram just me with a gang load of pink lol. 

But like I said do what you want, you only have one or handful of times to be pregnant, freakin' enjoy it!

• Juicy71Juicy71 member

I just email them to people.  DH is not into me posting them on FB - he thinks it's weird.  And, I haven't had too much urge to do it... I have one that I love where she's sucking her thumb but since he feels strongly about it I won't do it.

He would be even more against posting 3d as he thinks they're creepy ;)  I, of course, think our little girl looks adorable in them but I did always think other people's were a little creepy when I saw them.

Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• I've posted a few, mainly for my husbands family in Maine or people I don't see often. I definitely don't post one every time though because I've had quite a few ultrasounds. I don't see a problem with it. People can block my posts if they don't like seeing things like that, doesn't bother me! :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

photo f67a54b1-ddce-4538-bf7e-65a79c0165f1_zps84df8eb7.jpg
  • I posted one pic of the profile view on our 20w u/s because that was our "announcement". If we had already told people, I wouldn't have posted it. We won't be posting anything else. The people that care (mostly my mom and MIL) have them emailed to them, or if a friend asks, I show them on my phone.

• We have put one u/s picture on Facebook - the one from the a/s however was not a very good picture so we did not put that one up. We are having another scan Wed and if they give me a decent picture I will likely put it on there.

• andy711andy711 member
    I've heard people complain about it on here and in not a crazy Facebook poster or anything and really don't think it is a big deal if someone does this! I don't think twice about it when I see it done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It takes more work but you can share it with a limited group of people, if you otherwise don't want all of your fb friends to see it. I do that off and on with regular life pictures.
  • HBirdieHBirdie member
    imageShanmarie1083:

ETA - whatever you choose to do, PLEASE don't post pics of your baby's genitals on FB. People don't need to see your boy's penis or girl's vagina to believe you that it's a boy/girl. 

Haha, I promise I won't. We're team green all the way, but even if we weren't, I agree that it's strange. My coworker who's a few weeks ahead of me posted her boy's parts and I felt weird about it! haha

I appreciate all of the opinions! It's always interested to learn what other people do. I go on FB every day, but don't post too often, especially about pregnancy. I have our announcement and ONE bump photo on there. Guess we'll see if there's any really adorable ultrasound picture today and then maybe that'll go up, too- I have family spread far and wide. My DH has a FB, but never uses it. He doesn't care one way or another.

• I posted one profile picture a clear 2d one so my family far away could see.
  • I posted u/s pictures. I've never posted the "money shot" and never will.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • ksf13ksf13 member
    I posted them for family, since we live so far from home. I also have a rule that I don't add people on facebook that I don't know well enough to have a conversation with in person. I agree though, I didn't put any of her "girl parts" lol just pictures of her sweet face :.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cvl105cvl105 member
    I do...I don't care if others don't like it. My family, who all live in another state, like to see the pics and updates and I post it for them...and for my friends who do care. If someone doesn't care, they can skip over the post.
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • I thought the same thing ! Our ultrasound probably looks just like everyone else's but it's not everyone else's baby . I post my belly pictures and ultrasound pictures mainly to see my progress and that way once she's here I can look back on it . Also our families love seeing the pictures . We even printed out pictures of the ultrasounds an both soon to be grandparents have them on the fridge !
  • It is REALLY not my thing. To me, it is the definition of overshare. I never need to see a pic of someone's uterus. People can want to see those photos, it doesn't mean I have to share them.
    "She's the tied for the third-funniest person on this board!" -S13 Bumpies

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I didn't but wouldn't have a problem doing so. I ended up just emailing it, I prefer the email to FB anyway
  • vulpinivulpini member

I chose not to post any and just email them to the close family that we wanted to share with.  I know that some people I know on facebook feel that ultrasound pics are too private/intimate.  I also realize that a lot of people just aren't that interested in seeing them because they all look pretty much the same.  So I figured it would be better to not post them at all and if anyone really wanted to see them, they'd ask me for them and I'd send an email.  

If I had a large family that wanted to see them, I'd post with privacy settings just for them.  It's easy enough to do, so I don't get the "I have family far away" explanation for posting for everyone you ever met.

I don't mind seeing other people's ultrasound pics, as long as it's limited to a handful of pictures, not a giant album, and no genitalia.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did. Our nearest family is 9 hrs away. The rest are all over the United States. So for me and DH that is how we keep in touch and share our lives with them when we can't be with them. They have been able to watch my son grow up as will they will soon watch my daughter grow.
  • imageShanmarie1083:

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who thought posting the potty shot picture was weird! I showed my family and that's it! Not everybody needs to see my sons peen! On the OP note. I have not posted any baby pictures. Not that I have anything against it at all. I just know most people aren't as excited as I am to see it. They all look the same anyway! I also will absolutley not be posting any "bump" pictures. Although people ask me all of the time. Not good for somebody with body issues! I did post a few pictures leading up to my gender reveal, and post a few pregnancy related posts. But I'm by no means an oversharer.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did not and all my family is scattered all over the world.  I emailed it to anyone who expressed interest and posted it on a private family website we have.  I know that before I got pregnant I thought ultrasounds were both weird and uninteresting.

But I agree, just do whatever you want. Some people will love it.  
  • kmrortkmrort member
    I posted mine, but I only allowed a select group to see them on Facebook.  I did post the "potty" shot, but again, that was only viewable by certain family members.  My husband's family all live in different states so it was a way for them to feel connected. 
  • I did but not on my news feed. I made an album for Baby 2.0 but I set the privacy to Only Me. Then I added pics like my 15 week and 20 week bump pic and 1 of each u/s pic (8w, 12w, 20w). I made the album visible to Friends but it doesn't post to your news feed that way. So technically no one knows those pics exist unless they look through my albums. Now that I'm halfway, I will post pics of the stuff I make, like curtains, crib skirt, blankets, etc and then the album will be visible on my news feed. Follow all that??? :-P So yes, I have a few u/s pics on FB!

• CNS1212CNS1212 member

imageAshleyPT:
    I know a lot of people complain about this. I put them. I have a lot of family and friends who actually care and complain when I go too long without posting a picture. To the people who don't want to see it - don't look at it. Now, I don't post them all. I pick one and add it to the album for that baby. 

Yes

I picked one to post.  We email more and details of the appointments to the immediate family members.

• I didn't post any and don't plan to.
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • I have posted a handful of pictures. We have family all over & I was pretty open about our struggle with infertility, so there are several other non-family members who are interested in progress. I am getting monthly growth scans, posted 3 of the 9 I got today. I will never post a picture of her genital and I have only posted 1 belly picture. I don't plan on posting many more belly shots. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I did two things. I sent a mass email update to all family members to let them know specifics and what was happening. But then I also posted the u/s pictures on FB but removed all of the information. I have some good friends on there as well as some work related friends. I figure if they feel bombarded by my posts that they can either hide my posts or remove me - either of which don't bother me.

I personally enjoy seeing my friends u/s pictures. It's a neat look at their kiddo before they're here. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just created a private album and added my family members so they can see. If anyone else has expressed interest, I've added them as well. I don't mind seeing other peoples' photos, but I know it does bother some. I also have a few people that have struggled with fertility and loss (and probably more that I don't know about), so I don't really like to blast my pregnancy everywhere.

I wouldn't ever post a genitals shot though. Just no need for that. 

One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
  • jeb2013jeb2013 member
    I have posted all my ultra sound photos. And so have two of my 3 friends. I don't see a problem with it.... Or it being weird... If ur happy why not share ur happiness? That's how I see it. And that's kinda the point of Facebook anyway...
  • I post pregnancy updates and a few bump pics of Facebook and when we find out tomorrow what we are having we have a gender photo to post as well! Although I do this because a lot of my friends and family don't live near me, so it's a central point for everyone to get updates! I know I have friends on there who probably don't care about baby stuff at all, although I post them because I want to and to be honest if it bothered them that much they could always block me or delete me! It's completely up to you though, I love Facebook so I'm all for it!!
  • The 3D ones creep me out when I see them on FB. As long as you're not posting a zoomed in pic of the genetalia I have no big problem with posting them. However I don't share mine on there. I text them to immediate family and a few close friends. I just don't like to put too much out there about the baby or my pregnancy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't have anything at all against other people doing it, but I didn't post any of mine on there. Just didn't seem like the thing to do. I texted the pic to a few people, but just never posted it.
    BFP #1 8/25/12 EDD 4/28/13 Blighted Ovum, D&C 9/20/12 at 8w6d. I'll always remember the first one. My baby Grace. BFP #2 12/26/12 EDD 9/4/13. DS born 9/7/13. My sweet rainbow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"