April 2013 Moms

Breast milk trays

Is anyone using breast milk trays to freeze your milk? My friend is doing it and it made me curious. So far I've been using the special bags and freezing in 4 oz increments, but it looked handy to throw a few cubes in a bottle and be able to choose how many. Any thoughts?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breast milk trays

• I like the idea of them, but I don't like that you can't really label how old the milk is.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Anniversary

BFP #1: 5/10/12; 5/22/12: pregnancy deemed not viable (probably CP)
    BFP #2: 8/2/12; Due date: 4/14/13, DD born 4/5/2013
    BFP #3: 11/2/14, Due date: 7/7/15
  • imageDarlingNIkki1028:
    I like the idea of them, but I don't like that you can't really label how old the milk is.

https://m.target.com/p/soeasybabyfoodbreastmilktrays//A10338344
    There is a picture there that shows how you can label it. Seems much easier than just storing in the Madela bags. I think I will try it
  • Loading the player...
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member

No, it doesn't seem as sanitary or as portable and my freezer doesn't accomodate it as well. The bags have worked great for me.  FYI, my friend who is a neonatologist says that it works best to freeze in 4 oz-or-less increments (ideally 2-3 oz).

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have the Fresh Baby trays and love them.. you have to store them in the Freezer zip lock bags or they'll get freezer burn easily.  I did both last time, in bags and one ounce servings.  It depends on when/where/how often you'll use the milk but it worked well for me :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I built up a large freezer stash during the year I was pumping for DS and I don't think the trays would have worked for me because it would have taken up so much more room than the flat bags.  I had to buy a freezer as it was.  I wouldn't like that I couldn't keep track of the dates pumped as accurately.
  • imageJorleny:
    imageDarlingNIkki1028:
    I like the idea of them, but I don't like that you can't really label how old the milk is.
    https://m.target.com/p/soeasybabyfoodbreastmilktrays//A10338344 There is a picture there that shows how you can label it. Seems much easier than just storing in the Madela bags. I think I will try it

The labeling would work well for making food but you wouldn't pump enough in a day to fill up a bag that way.  I think those trays would be great for purees.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Popping in from Nov '12. 

Freezing milk in 1 oz cubes is handy for mixing with cereal when the time comes. If you pump daily after starting solids then you could use fresh milk. Otherwise, the trays are great for homemade pur?es as well.  

• I hated how flimsy the bags seemed and how prone I was to spilling when filling and using them, so I use the trays now and love them.  I freeze at least 32 oz per day (4 trays worth).  It does seem to take up a lot of room in our freezer, but we have a reach-in freezer that I don't use for much else right now, so it's no big deal. I use the Ziplock Pint sized freezer storage bags (they are BPA free too), and they are the perfect size to store 8oz (8 sticks of frozen BM).  I just label the freezer bags with the express date and the "use by" date.

The only downside I have found is that the bottles we use only fit 2 sticks at a time, so thawing enough for a 3oz bottle (what she's taking now)  will be interesting.  I'll either need to get bigger bottles or see if I can get 3oz in by breaking the sticks in half.  I would just recommend keeping that in mind before going the tray route. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"