Parenting after 35

Any 40 and up moms? Are you being induced?

Just writing to see if anyone else has to be induced for being 40 or over. Where I go, they do that to all 40 and over moms...

Is this normal? 

Re: Any 40 and up moms? Are you being induced?

• steverstever member

I don't think it's common but I have heard of it. Someone on Pregnant After 35 mentioned it, I just can't remember who. Maybe ask over there.

• mwdmwd member
    I had DD when I was 41. Instead of being induced, I went into labor a day before baby was due. However, I did have to go through a weekly stress test, as well as weekly ultrasound to check amniotic fluid.  If you're really concerned, discuss with your ob-gyn.  IMO, you should be induced due to complications or yo are overdue. Not because you're over 40. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I was 40. My OB was aware of that practice but felt strongly against it. She worked with a high percentage of over-35 mothers and said that they didn't have any more issues as a group than any other age. And as a result, she didn't do anything specifically age-related. If you developed issues as an individual, fine, treat that real issue. But no inventing things.

There is a lot of literature on the downsides to elective inductions, and this would qualify. Some people do choose to have them, but your age alone doesn't require it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd be giving that OB a bit of a side-eye for inducing merely because of age.  Is there time for you to shop around and find one who specializes in AMA cases?  They might handle things different.  I too would try to avoid inducement unless it's medically necessary.

I was 42 when I had C and specifically found an OB who was used to handling AMA and problem/difficult pregnancies.  She said I was a whole lot easier than a lot of her patients, especially since I didn't wig out over every little thing!

GL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I was due the Dr refused to let me go all the way to 40 weeks so if the baby didn't come on his own by 39w5d I was to be induced. Of course he did not come on his own by then so I was induced and he was born at 39w6d. I was 2 months shy of my 39th birthday. I read that in older Moms there is a risk of placental degradation which could result in a still birth and this risk increases at 40weeks on. I am not trying to terrify you in any way as we have enough to worry about during our pregnancies, labor and delivery. I am just letting you know what happened with me and why I believe they may be more likely to induce a bit early if you are older. The Dr actually scheduled me for induction several weeks before I was even at 39w5d just so I would be on the schedule if kiddo didn't come by then.
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was 41 when I delivered and while none of the OBs at my practice said I "had to" be induced, they each recommended it to some degree (at my practice, you rotate through all the OBs in your last weeks so the first time they see you isn't in the delivery room).  They do see a fair number of AMA women and feel that there is validity to the rapid placenta degradation past 40 weeks in women over 40. 

That being said, I was scheduled to be induced at 39 weeks 5 days and went into labor naturally 3 hours before I was due at the hospital.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • steverstever member
    imagestever:

I don't think it's common but I have heard of it. Someone on Pregnant After 35 mentioned it, I just can't remember who. Maybe ask over there.

And I'm a spaz because I just remembered that it was actually recommended for ME at 38. I just tend to forget about it because one doc said she'd want to induce and the other docs blew her off because u/s's said DS was in good shape.

I need more sleep Stick out tongue

• imageBrideBuddies:

I'd be giving that OB a bit of a side-eye for inducing merely because of age.  Is there time for you to shop around and find one who specializes in AMA cases?  They might handle things different.  I too would try to avoid inducement unless it's medically necessary.

I was 42 when I had C and specifically found an OB who was used to handling AMA and problem/difficult pregnancies.  She said I was a whole lot easier than a lot of her patients, especially since I didn't wig out over every little thing!

GL

I'd be side eyeing too. They don't do elective inductions here just based on AMA. I was AMA with S and I was with a low risk clinic, they score based on other risk factors and I just didn't have any. A friend who was 45 also had her dd with the same practice and older moms weren't uncommon. This practice did not make a habit of inductions at all because the center did not perform csections. Any patient regardless of age who was considered moderate or high risk was referred on. 
  • I would have been induced if I didn't have this tendency to go into labor all on my own two to three weeks early. 

There is a greater risk of placenta issues with women over 40 going past their due dates so that is why this issue comes up.  As someone who lost a baby due to placenta issues, albeit much, much earlier in pregnancy, it just makes me super paranoid and I would have choosen an induction for myself.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• I was also not comfortable with going beyond my due date for the reasons mentioned above.  I've also heard about the increased risk for stillbirth.  I didn't have a chance to mention it to my doctor as my water broke 5 days before my due date, so I was induced anyway.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • LilboboLilbobo member
    I'm over 40 and was not induced. I never felt that my doctor treated me differently for being of AMA. She did say she didn't want to let the pregnancy go past the normal gestation period. Turns out I went into labor a week early but other than that had a pretty normal delivery. It ended up being a C-section, which was no big deal.
  • With my first pregnancy I was induced at 41 weeks and 1 day (based EDD). The baby's APGAR was 9 and 9. But even with that I wished I waited till labor to start on its own.

With my last pregnancy I went to 43 week.  During the time between 40 to my son's birth I was watched carefully. Labor did start on its own.  I am glad I waited.

I am currently 35 years old. 

BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• I went to a midwife practice, so they only induce if there's a medical reason to do so.  I know a couple of AMA moms whose docs were going to induce simply because they were over 35.  I asked my midwife about it, and she said that some doctors think that as soon as you turn 35 your uterus is like a ticking time bomb Stick out tongue, so they induce as a matter of course.

I can understand people's concerns, but I wouldn't induce if being AMA was the only reason the OB wanted to do it.

• GHBEAGHBEA member
    With my two youngest I was high risk and ended up being induced, it was not in the plans though.  I had them at ages 41 and 43
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • danuli8danuli8 member
    Is that normal? No. And the placenta degradation issue is just another stupid myth. If you smoke, live off McDonald's, and get zero exercise, THEN you will have placenta issues no matter your age. If they are worried they can check your placenta during any growth u/s they do on the baby. I just gave birth at age 42 and went into labor on my own at 41w1d. My growth u/s at 39 weeks and change showed I still had a grade 1 placenta, which is very good and also very rare. My MW said at the birth that my placenta still looked terrific. If your specific placenta seems to be degrading too soon, then okay, induction might be wise. But don't agree to an induction based on some blanket statement. An induction is much more likely to end in a c/s.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • I gave birth to my son 1 month before I turned 38 and was nesrly 10 days late - natural birth; no induction. I will turn 40 a couple months before baby#2 is born and I will not agree to an induction unless something is seriously wrong.. as I don't want to increase the liklihood of being forced to have a c/s. My OBs have not mentioned induction as a necessity or even as an option. I don't think the OBs in my practice view being AMA alone as a need to induce. If I go too far past my due date then that is another story as they generally don't want anyone to go over 2 weeks past your due date regardless of age due to risks to the fetus.... 

• Had DS at 39 and was induced?at 41 weeks. I was fine with that... I wanted him OUT!  And good thing because he was 9 lb.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • RharoldRharold member
    I go to midwives, they don't induce. It's my 6th time around, I'll be 42, and they haven't mentioned it at all.
  • I had my third at 41. He was a scheduled cs because they were afraid he was too big for me. I am now 42 and having my 4th, a girl, and the first thing Dr recommended was vaginal since my first two were that way and they see no reason for complications.
  • I'd be sideeyeing too!
  • I was 40 when I delivered LO and she showed no signs of coming out on her own so I was induced at 12 days past her due date.  OB had suggested it a week earlier and I asked to wait, and she was OK with this because everything looked fine. I was induced and then proceded to have a drug-free delivery, as I had hoped.

HOWEVER -  

Although I had a very healthy and relatively easy pregnancy, when LO was born the umbilical cord separated from the placenta and the placenta had to be taken manually - awesome - (and I totally accepted the drugs before they did that, since LO was already out).  The placenta did show some signs of deterioration AND we had to return to the hospital on day three because she was crashing nutritionally (even though we were nursing and pumping colostrum consistently).  Very scary.  She was also on the smaller side for size, particularly given her late arrival, at 6 lbs 6 oz.  I have some guilt and regret about not inducing closer to her due date because I think she was struggling in there those last few weeks, despite a gazillion ultrasounds and exams showing nothing.

Just my two cents. 

• I was 39 and refused to be induced. The doctor scheduled it anyway for a Tuesday (1 day past 40 weeks), but luckily LO was with me on this and he came right on time on Monday. So I didn't have to be induced after all. I had a relatively short labor and vaginal delivery. I'm of the opinion that many inductions end up in c-sections.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • My midwife practice recently changed their standard of care for moms 38+.  They do weekly NSTs starting at 36 weeks and prefer to induce at 40 weeks if you haven't gone into labor.  I told them I would prefer to wait until 40 weeks 3 days since that's when I went into labor with my other two.  Both times my placenta still looked great at that point.  They said that would be okay.
  • My doctor has said he will likely induce at 39 weeks due to my age. I'm 38, I have had an uneventfilled pregnancy without complications thus far.... No swelling, etc... I trust my OB and he has said there are greater risks for baby and I if we go 40+ weeks. At this point, I think at 39 weeks I am ok with the induction...
  • I'm 40 and will have my first a little before my 41st. My Ob told me at my first appt that they basically will not let me go a day beyond 40 weeks -- even If ice had zero complications.
    I've gone to her for years and trust her implicitly. Shes not a doc who intervenes when it's not necessary.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not the norm, I had mine at home at 42.  Some care givers might do that.
  • I just had my baby a month ago.  Both of my pregnancies involved an induction for AMA because I belong to an HMO that follows this policy.  With the first one, I convinced the doctors to let me go to 41 weeks, provided I had non-stress tests and ultrasound monitoring twice per week while I waited to deliver.  In the end, I had to be induced anyway because I still wasn't dilated or effaced at 41 weeks.  With this most recent pregnancy, I was induced on my due date, at the doctor's recommendation.  I was already 5 cm dilated, so the process went faster.  I didn't need a C-section either time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"