Babies: 0 - 3 Months

First Mother's Day

Didn't even get a card. I'm so hurt.

Hope you all had a better experience than me...

Re: First Mother's Day

• Yesterday morning, when DH didn't have anything for me, I told him that how he treats me on Mother's Day is a sign of his level of appreciation of me as a mother.....needless to say, he went out and bought me a necklace lol.  I think he knew he'd never hear the end of it ;) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekk1160:
    Didn't even get a card. I'm so hurt.Hope you all had a better experience than me...

Same! Especially since I told him I wanted something so he can't pull the he didn't know he was actually supposed to card. It hurts, I have been looking at ideas of something cute for LO or something like that online
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My MIL bought me something "from LO" which I loved, thank goodness for her! DH's friends brought me a basket of goodies from Bath and Body. And there is DH surprised that I was upset he had planned nothing, breakfast.. a small gift.. Oh well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Dh got me a card from him and a card from DS. Aside from that all I wanted was to sleep in and spend the day with my boys. I'm sorry you didn't get anything. :
  • Im so sorry =( I actually posted on the feb 2013 board the day before mothers day because i was convinced DH wouldn't remember.  Lucky for him, he got me flowers and a card and the 3 of us spent the day together, otherwise I would have made his week really hard. lol

I can only imagine how hurt you are, men don't always "think"...I would do the same as he did to you on father's day. just to show how much it hurts and to prove a point. 

• imagemoonflowers2013:

Im so sorry =( I actually posted on the feb 2013 board the day before mothers day because i was convinced DH wouldn't remember.  Lucky for him, he got me flowers and a card and the 3 of us spent the day together, otherwise I would have made his week really hard. lol

I can only imagine how hurt you are, men don't always "think"...I would do the same as he did to you on father's day. just to show how much it hurts and to prove a point. 

i don't think that being vindictive and purposefully trying to hurt your spouse helps to fix the issue in a marriage. I would explain to your husband how you felt and why, and what would have made you happy. Try to make tings better instead of worse. So sorry you were disappointed. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I know that sometimes we don't feel like we need to "tell" our significant others what we want, fearing that that would take away from the thought of them doing it on their own, but sometimes you have to voice your expectations to avoid (or possibly avoid) getting hurt. 

DS1 was born just a couple days before Mother's Day in 2010, so this is my 4th Mother's Day. Money is also tight right now as FI makes a transition into a new position and I cut work hours to take additional classes at my university (to make up for time lost when I had DS2) so I flat out said that I wanted nothing, and I meant it. I had a nice lunch with his family and then had cake at his Grandmother's. I gave his mom a bouquet of flowers and a card, not expecting anything in return. She gave me a card with small Tim Horton's gift card because she knows I love their iced caps. She also signed the card, "Love, Mom" and that's the first time that she's done that. Those two things combined absolutely made my Mother's Day and anything received afterward was just a bonus. If you don't have expectations high, then you're less likely to get hurt. 

I'd much rather have time to myself over a gift, but that's just me ;) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Men are hardwired differently than women, you have to tell them what you want when you want it, hints usually don't work well.

That being said sometimes in life we wont get a card, a present, or even a thank you... I didn't get a card, I haven't gotten a card for any holiday including my birthday for a few years, but this holiday was special anyways... know why? Because I am a proud mother of a beautiful baby boy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepinottoparenthood:
    imagemoonflowers2013:

i don't think that being vindictive and purposefully trying to hurt your spouse helps to fix the issue in a marriage. I would explain to your husband how you felt and why, and what would have made you happy. Try to make tings better instead of worse. So sorry you were disappointed. 

I don't see it as being vindictive or a problem in the marriage, i look at it as sometimes men are forgetful and I wonder how they would react to a woman forgetting. 

• OP, I feel ya. I'm in the same boat. Didn't even get a card either. I know it's not indicative of how my otherwise thoughtful spouse feels about me but I was so excited for my first Mother's Day I waited 39 years to have one, lol I just assumed he knew how much it meant to me. But as the saying goes you know what you get when you assume, "it makes an out of you and me". I was still hurt though. :
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is why I just make my own plans and let DH know. I wanted to get a pedicure with my mom on Saturday because we both haf gift certificates. Then I wanted us to take the kids to the zoo on Sunday. I got to do both and there was no pressure on DH. The only time.we.do gifts are birthdays and Christmas because we just don't need more stuff. Mothers Day and Fathers Day are about doing what we want.

Sorry things didn't work out for you butni agree you need to talk to him about it.

image image
  • I can't believe so many of you received nothing.. That sucks!  DH had his sister come over, sent me out of the house for the afternoon, and the two of them teamed up and made a lovely canvas print using DD's feet and handprints.  Yup, instant cryfest when I saw that!

I also received a card and some "gourmet" jellybeans (he made a point of telling me he was about to get the no name brand and thought he'd instead "push the boat out" and spend the extra dollar on the fancy ones, hah).  It wasn't super fancy although it was very sweet.  After reading this thread though, I'm feeling pretty spoiled now and am counting myself lucky!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kk1160kk1160 member
    You know, I thought that this morning... how would he feel? It's not about getting a gift, or spending money, or whatever. I just really wanted something tangible to remember my first mother's day. Something I could look back at and cherish.

A couple that we're really close to is usually used as an example. Her birthday was the Friday the 10th. Her DH didn't plan anything special (we all usually go eat together), no card, no gift, not even a verbal happy birthday. Then mother's day rolled around and same thing. She and I see eye-to-eye on everything... we buy the guys these awesome gifts or take them out to and be the DD... it would be nice to get the same thing in return. We make it a point to to something nice for each other though...

Boys...UGH!

Thanks for all of your kind words :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"