Health & Exercise

Anyone into barefoot/minimalist running shoes?

I'm looking into Vibram 5 fingers shoes and wondering if anyone had a positive experience. I think I am most interested in the Bikila because those felt the best when I tried them on in the store. 

Re: Anyone into barefoot/minimalist running shoes?

• I have a new balance with the vibram sole.  I love them, but just be careful that you need to work up to distances with them or you will likely injure yourself since it teaches your body to run in a different way and your muscle groups aren't used to it.  When you first start, run no more than 1km in them (you can walk as much as you want) and then go up from there.   

Also, they suck on a stone path like gravel.  I've gotten some good bruises that way.   

• KateVAKateVA member
    I love my minimalist Inov8's. But like pp, start slow.
  • Loading the player...
  • rondosarondosa member
    imageHabs2Hart:

I have a new balance with the vibram sole.  I love them, but just be careful that you need to work up to distances with them or you will likely injure yourself since it teaches your body to run in a different way and your muscle groups aren't used to it.  When you first start, run no more than 1km in them (you can walk as much as you want) and then go up from there.   

Also, they suck on a stone path like gravel.  I've gotten some good bruises that way.   

THIS! I have the New Balance minimus zero street running shoes, plus I got a pair of the Minimus 10 trail shoes. Both with vibram soles.

I was way too gung-ho about them and jumped in way too fast and developed plantar fascitis and achilles tendonitis but was able to heal eventually. I will get back into them once I deliver and can get back to running...I miss them so much, they are so comfortable and light, I love wearing them.

• I run in the Bikilas and love them.  I only have great things to say about Vibrams - prior to running in them I was having serious IT Band issues (and had a history of back and hip problems - major SI Joint issues requiring PT).  I haven't had a single running pain since I switched over.  No IT Band, no hip pain, no back pain.  I convinced my mom to switch over since she was getting some ankle pain while running and she hasn't had any issues since switching also.

I did work up in mileage.  I think I started with a 1/2 mile and gradually added on?  But that was about 3 years ago, so I don't remember exactly.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The NB Minimus Roads shredded my achilles, they just didn't fit me right. I ended up with Merrell Pace Gloves and I'm really happy with them. I don't use them for runs longer than 5 miles, though I know plenty of people who have marathoned in them.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • I'm not a fan of my vibrams and enjoy my asics with cushion much much better!
  • Laumb11Laumb11 member

Lurking.. 

I love my Bikilas! I am on my 2nd pair. They are my favorite. I also have the New Balance Minimus and those are good too but the Bikilas fit my foot better. Definitely work up to them, my calves hurt like crazy when I first used them.  

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KingLEDKingLED member
    I have had a pair of Vibram 5 fingers for about 3 years and LOVE them.  They're amazing.  However, they are definitely for running on grass or tracks.  Concrete floors aren't going to feel good after a while.  They don't have the cushion and support (obviously) that most running shoes do.  But then again, I grew up in the country.  I never really worse shoes at all unless there was a sign on the door that said they were mandatory.  So I've never actually had an issue with them if I feel like running on a paved trail, but I know some people that have. 
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"