May 2013 Moms

Anterior placenta/posterior baby

First, Happy Mother's Day to all you new moms and those still waiting!

I am primarily a lurker but had a question I am hoping some people can help me with.  I have an anterior placenta and found out last week in an u/s that the baby is posterior, or "sunny side up."  I have not yet talked to the doctor this week but only spoke with the u/s tech and researched some on the internet.

Seems like this could *potentially* be a longer and more painful labor if the baby does not flip and since I have an anterior placenta it makes it harder for the baby to flip.  Can anybody share their experience with me??  I had a very bad/long recovery after my first so this is just making more even more anxious.  Is there anybody that had an anterior placenta and posterior baby where the baby did flip prior?  Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anterior placenta/posterior baby

• I'm in the same boat as you! I will say that before I got a nasty cold that caused me to lay whatever way I could get sort of comfortable, this baby was in a good position. When the baby was in a good position I was leaning forward a lot each day (gardening, chasing my newly walking child, picking up toys, etc). If I can ever get healthy again I am hoping that these types of positions will help again. With DS I didn't have an anterior placenta, but he was posterior and he turned during labor. My labor was 7 1/2 hrs. long and I am told it was an "easy" labor. I don't know if that is true or not!
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Here are are some things you can do throughout the entire pregnancy to help the baby be in the best/correct delivery position.

https://www.spinningbabies.com/

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a lurker as well but thought I'd share my experience so far.

My baby was nestled in with her back to my right side.  Then, at my appointment 2 weeks ago, she was OP.  I did my pelvic tilts, sat on a balance ball, and got in the pool.  At my last appointment, her back was to my left (which they say is an optimal position).

So, I'm not sure if anything I did helped, or if the just caught LO on her way from right to left.  The point is that she moved and will hopefully stay this way until she's ready to make her appearance.

And I second spinning babies.  Good luck! 

• In the grand scheme of things, I don't think this is a big thing to worry about. With my first I had an anterior placenta, which my doc only briefly mentioned at my 18 week ultrasound. That was the last one I had. During labor the nurse had me lay on my side sort of to push for a while, and that was successful. Granted I was pushing for 3 hours and that sucked big time, but I blame starting to push too early and the fact that my daughter was 9 pounds 5 ounces, and not positioning.
  • DS1 was born sunny side up. Not gonna lie, the labor was long and painful, although I didn't have any back labor, which I hear is fairly common in this type of situation. My midwife tried a couple of times to turn him while I was laboring but he always flipped back. Eventually, he came out (broke my tailbone in the process) and all was well. I didn't tear very much and my recovery, aside from the tailbone, was very smooth.

Keep in mind, though, that he was my first child and first labors almost always take longer. Plus, I have very narrow hips (basically nonexistent) - my midwife said they're more like a male's - and that it very well could have contributed to the difficulty I had and my broken tailbone.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS was posterior (OP) and we didn't know until he came out that way. Check out spinningbabies.com for some tricks to get baby to turn around. Because DS was OP, I had horrible back labor and pushed for 2 hours. So good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • BSSnCEBBSSnCEB member

I'm also a lurker, but wanted to share my experience with my DS.  He was also sunny side up, and I had an anterior placenta.  He flipped on his own during labor, I went from a fingertip dilated to fully dilated in 2.5 hours and only 30 minutes of pushing.  Try to stay positive, he/she could still flip just in time!  You never know!! :)  Good luck!!!

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"