Multiples

Umbilical Cord with csection

Hi Ladies.

First off, Happy Mother's Day.

Quick question. I am scheduled for a Csection on May 30th since our di/di twins are in less than ideal positions.

DH was wondering with a Csection for twins if he can still cut the umbilical cord.

He would like to if he can but I wasn't sure how that would happen.

Any input would be great.
Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Umbilical Cord with csection

• I'm curious about this too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think he can but I can't remember for sure. I'm pretty sure the nurses asked my Husband if he wanted to but he declined. He's a little squeamish about stuff like that. Ask your dr probably up to them in the end.
  • Loading the player...
  • No one ever asked DH. I had 2 csection s first was a emergency DS1 was not breathing and early. The trio was a quick thing so doubt he would have been able to. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Can he cut the babies free?  Nope.  Very very rarely will they allow dad to cut a cord during a c-section.  It's a sterile field and he would have to be gowned up.

But they can cut them a little long and let him trim them with the babies in the warmer.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • imageE&RMommy:

Can he cut the babies free?  Nope.  Very very rarely will they allow dad to cut a cord during a c-section.  It's a sterile field and he would have to be gowned up.

But they can cut them a little long and let him trim them with the babies in the warmer.

I was about to say the same thing.  I used to be scrub nurse for c-sections and DH is a scrub tech.  No way could I ever see a dad being allowed to stand directly over the sterile field.  When the OB cuts it from the placenta there is usually a longish "tail" left on it.  Dad will probably be able to trim it once the nurse takes him/her as long as baby is stable and not needing any intervention.

• imageharti09:
    It wasn't an option for us.nbsp;

Us either.
  • kgs0505kgs0505 member
    imageERMommy:
    Can he cut the babies free?nbsp; Nope.nbsp; Very very rarely will they allow dad to cut a cord during a csection.nbsp; It's a sterile field and he would have to be gowned up.

Ditto. But if there are any issues, it won't be a possibility.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• imageMrs. Alice:
    imageE&RMommy:

Can he cut the babies free?  Nope.  Very very rarely will they allow dad to cut a cord during a c-section.  It's a sterile field and he would have to be gowned up.

I was about to say the same thing.  I used to be scrub nurse for c-sections and DH is a scrub tech.  No way could I ever see a dad being allowed to stand directly over the sterile field.  When the OB cuts it from the placenta there is usually a longish "tail" left on it.  Dad will probably be able to trim it once the nurse takes him/her as long as baby is stable and not needing any intervention.

This was our experience exactly. A friend of mine with a singleton breech baby said her husband wasn't allowed to cut any part of the cord, but our hospital let us. If it's something that's important to you, it's worth a quick call to find out their policy. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It wasn't an option for you?!

My DH got to cut both during my c/s.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • amd1982amd1982 member
    Nope. Sterile field. Don't risk it.
    TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014
  • MelleTXMelleTX member
    My mom was in the room during my c-section. The OB cut baby A's cord to quickly get her out of the way and move on to baby B, but she offered my mom the opportunity to cut B's cord. 
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Had a c section last Monday and DH didn't cut the cords and didn't even think about it until later when I asked him. There was so much excitement with the babies being here that he didn't care. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • This is bad, but neither of us can remember for sure! It's all a haze... I know they told him he could stand up and see them be born. But DH is pretty sure they let him cut the cords too. I think I remember them asking, and I for sure remember him leaving my side a few times and going around the curtain. He was the one who brought each baby over for me to see too.

But know there will be blood and guts, and he'll get to see it all! I have heard of husbands passing out or throwing up at the sight of it. It can be hard to see your loved one in that state, even for non squeamish people. 

ETA It wasn't a scheduled c-section, but it wasn't exactly emergency either. So he'd had time to get dressed in all of the sterile clothes and gear. 

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • I would imagine as long as he asks, if they don't offer, and assuming nothing is wrong with the babies he should be able to. My DH did. Of course he won't be able to make the initial cut right out of your belly. But they'll probably cut it long and he can cut it after they're on the warming table and its clamped off. That's what my experience was at least. 

DSC_0011MOD
    Married since June 2010
    TTC #1 since 04/2011
    3 abnormal PAPs and 2 colpo/biopsy since 09/2009
    LEEP 05/2011
    ASCUS PAP 08/2011 which means no PAP for 6 months!! YAY!!
    BFP 11/6/11!! EDD: 7/15/12
    1st u/s 11/21/11: TWINS!
    16 wks 1/30/12: BOY and GIRL!
    Schedualed c-section for 7/2/12 38wks 1day
    Went into labor 6/25/12 37wks 1day. Delivered two healthy babies
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • My csection in February my SO got to cut the cords. The babies were already out of me and technically cut but im assuming they cut it longer so he could cut part of it? He didn't care if he did it or not but they asked him if he wanted to so he did.
  • imageE&RMommy:

This is what DH did. 

DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • They had DH wear a pair of Tyvek coveralls and a shower cap thing, and he was allowed to "cut the cord" with my son.  He said the cord was already detached from the placenta and it's more of a symbolic thing than anything else, and then the doctor trims it down further.  FWIW, he thought it was pretty disconcerting and isn't really sure he wants to do it again :).

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"