Multiples

What did your twins sleep in when they came home?

Mobile users: What did your twins sleep in when they came home?

I thought I was going to be all about the Pack-n-Play double bassinet, but after reading reviews on BRU and Amazon, it seems like a lot of folks have complaints about the babies not liking the bassinets and rolling towards the middle. I also checked out the Arm's Reach co-sleeper, but Baby Bargains says that American Academy of Pediatrics recently came out against using co-sleepers. I'm at a loss! I want the babies to sleep in our room for at least the first couple of months, and their cribs will not fit. I have also heard the R-n-P isn't ideal b/c baby should be flat. Thoughts and advice are appreciated!

BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: What did your twins sleep in when they came home?

• We used the rock n plays. I know a lot of moms that use them too. The incline is good if you have babies with reflux which we do.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Rock n plays until 15 weeks then put them in their cribs. They'll be one soon and we just stopped using the RNPs...definitely a great purchase!
    MFI and (now) AMA
    IVF 1 April 2011 - Cancelled
    IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
    IVF 2 October 2011 - BFP!
    *Identical Twin Boys born June 2012*
    Here we go again...IVF 3 is underway!
  • Loading the player...
  • We used a PNP downstairs one can sleep in the bassinet part and one in the napper if you need to separate them. But it can only be used up to 15 lbs so we couldn't use it for long since my babies were over 6 lbs each. The arms reach co sleeper saved us. My babies are 3 months now and just starting to roll towards each other in the middle so they are now in their cribs. We didn't use it as a co sleeper we just used it as a bassinet. It's spacious enough and holds more weight.
  • Swing and infant/toddler rocker!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We plan to use RnPs - during our tour of the NICU yesterday, we asked what they recommended and the neonatologist likes them.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Swings and bouncers. Strapped in and swaddled.
    TTC since 3/4/2010
    Me: PCOS, DH: normal
    Started seeing RE 11/10/2011
    8/31/2012 = BFP!!
    First Ultrasound... TRIPLETS! EDD 5/11/13
    Baby w/ no HB @ 10w4d - We love you angel baby.
    Baby A & B doing great. A/S 12/10/12 - Healthy BOYS!
    Sawyer & Silas born at 33+6 on 3/29/13
    imageimage
    imageView Raw Image" height="250" width="375">

image"Lilypie">image

• Why is the AAP against using co-sleepers?? I hadn't heard that at all. We had an Original and it seemed very safe. However ... our babies made SO much noise during the night that after 10 days we moved them to their own room, and DH and I started sleeping in shifts. At first they slept in the crib, swing, bouncy seat--wherever they would sleep! At 7.5w we started implementing some of the HSHHC principles and from then on they slept in their cribs. (Though if one of them had a hard time settling down or woke up way early from a nap, we would try the swing and that often worked.)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • We started flat in a shared crib we set up in our room and they didn't sleep at all. One night I stuck them in bouncy seats when they were awake and crying and they went to sleep. They slept in those seats for the next three months. They had minor reflux and it really helped.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • taryn30taryn30 member
    My twins also nap in rock n plays. They are 8 months old. I have a random question for you. I know they are safe up to 25 pounds. My question is the straps can barely fit my 18 pounder. Is there a way to Make them longer? Thanks!
  • RnP for about nine weeks, then each LO in own crib.
  • We used Arm's Reach baby hammocks and loved them.  I felt like these were a major part of my having an enjoyable first few months with the girls.  When the newborns are fussing you just stick out a foot and a hand and push the hammocks until they go back to sleep.  We just transitioned to cribs (at 5 months) and it wasn't a problem.
  • kgs0505kgs0505 member
    are you sure the aap is specifically against the cosleepers they align with the bed? i think they are against cosleeping where baby is in bed with you or in a cosleeper that is also in the bed with you. the armsreach one is different as the baby is not in the bed with you, but in their own, right next to the bed.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• RnP's till the straps didn't fit any longer.  Probably till they were 5 months for naps. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Cleo421Cleo421 member
    imagekgs0505:
    are you sure the aap is specifically against the cosleepers they align with the bed? i think they are against cosleeping where baby is in bed with you or in a cosleeper that is also in the bed with you. the armsreach one is different as the baby is not in the bed with you, but in their own, right next to the bed.

Specific wording from Baby Bargains is "Cosleepers are similar to bassinets, but attach to the parent's bed. We used to recommend this type of product in a previous edition. However, the AAP recently came out against cosleepers, or any device attached to a parent's bed. Pediatricians cited the risk of a parent unknowingly rolling over and injuring a newborn in a cosleeper. As a result, we don't recommend these products."

Just repeating what's in my book ::mobile smiley::. It was just published last month so I'm guessing its up to date. I really like a Pp's idea of doing the co sleeper just as a bassinet, and not attaching it to the bed.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • We used RnP's until 6 weeks and then moved them to their cribs cold turkey. 

That being said, DH and I took shifts sleeping in the nursery until ~ 3 months  (when they started being able to roll over both ways) because we were so nervous about SIDS we wanted to be near them and not to be relying on a baby monitor.

My boys were born at 38w5d - so depending on their gestational/adjusted age when born you may need to adjust your plans for the sleeping arrangements.  Had my boys been born earlier, I probably would've made a few more transitional steps before moving to the cribs... like RnP right next to the bed, then PnP in our room, and finally their cribs in the nursery (or a plan somewhat similar). 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageCleo421:
    imagekgs0505:
    Specific wording from Baby Bargains is "Cosleepers are similar to bassinets, but attach to the parent's bed. We used to recommend this type of product in a previous edition. However, the AAP recently came out against cosleepers, or any device attached to a parent's bed. Pediatricians cited the risk of a parent unknowingly rolling over and injuring a newborn in a cosleeper. As a result, we don't recommend these products." Just repeating what's in my book ::mobile smiley::. It was just published last month so I'm guessing its up to date. I really like a Pp's idea of doing the co sleeper just as a bassinet, and not attaching it to the bed.
    the type of co sleeper I had, the arms reach, there would have been no way for me to roll over on top of it. It's literally a bassinet that's shorter so you can see in it. You don't have to attach it to the bed, if that makes you feel more comfortable, but I think when you actually have it you'll see that it's not sketchy. I didn't attach mine to the bed, just pulled it up right next to me. The baby couldn't have rolled out or anything, theres just this little part that rolls down on the side so your arm can reach in there easily, but once they can move around more you can just lift that side part so it's just like a bassinet. 
  • I just bought 2 RNPs, so hopefully my boys like them!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"